Sign in to follow this  
Docile

tapping noise from engine?

after a long drive i noticed that the engine was emmiting kinda of like consistent tapping noises... what could it be?? i checked the oil level and it was within acceptable range... although im going to change it this week as it was kind of brownish now..

ive let the engine cool overnight and started it up again.. it still making tapping noises..

engine is an m50 straight 6 2ltre.

cheers for your inputs:D

worn cam shafts , or maybe hydrolic lifters worn . my 325ci 1992 , ticks when first starts up for about 3-5sec

the thing is, it wasn't tapping like that before.. it was running smooth..

Id say it would be sticking hydraulic lifters, the same thing happened with my car, just started ticking one day. Try doing an oil change, if your lucky the flush will remove any sludge causing them to stick.

Id say it would be sticking hydraulic lifters, the same thing happened with my car, just started ticking one day. Try doing an oil change, if your lucky the flush will remove any sludge causing them to stick.

yeah, the old man said a good oil change might do the trick...

the noise was coming from somewhere in the middle of the engine block.. not quite sure where abouts though..

hopfully its just something like that, that an oil change can fix.i had a tapping noise, cost me a few grand to shut the noisy prick up, new cam and rockers etc. some usless machanic had left the oil feed of to the cam!

yeah hopefully it wont go that far !!>..

im considering a change of oil as well... going for the full synthetic .. just going to read up the threads about it... atm im running magnatec

well its all fixed now:D man got me scared for a bit there...

changed oil to semi synthetic penrite, changed oil filter and bought new ngk R sparkplugs... engine hums like a dream again haha

Edited by Docile

Oil change it TWICE, the first time with cheap 'thin' oil and some engine flush [the crud has to go somewhere,and engine flush doesn't work too good in sludge]

Then put the good oil in

This works on Subaru's [so does a crusher!]