Sign in to follow this  
keen

m40 engine can someone explain the hose from the top of the heater ou

Can someone explain the small hose coming off the block at the rear of the engine above the heater hose? can someone show me a diagram of that area only? Is this a heating device for the throttlebody for cars in a very cold climate to prevent ice up? would the performance of the intake be improved if it was blocked off? Leaving normal cold air going to the intake not being heated? and is the inlet on the otherside of the throttlebody coming from the cam cover the breather and could that be blocked off also and the pipe fed to a filtered collector bottle elsewhere? preventing the throttlebody from being dirtied by the fumes coming from the cam cover? and could I then use a throttlebody cleaner to get the last bit of performance from air going through a clean area to the block?

Good thanks. It appears from the diagram that the other end on the side of the block is returned into a hose going into the block can you recommended any type of cap that maybe you or someone else has used to change this operation over or the cheapest or best method recommended to carry out the change over?

Can someone explain the small hose coming off the block at the rear of the engine above the heater hose? can someone show me a diagram of that area only? Is this a heating device for the throttlebody for cars in a very cold climate to prevent ice up? would the performance of the intake be improved if it was blocked off? Leaving normal cold air going to the intake not being heated? and is the inlet on the otherside of the throttlebody coming from the cam cover the breather and could that be blocked off also and the pipe fed to a filtered collector bottle elsewhere? preventing the throttlebody from being dirtied by the fumes coming from the cam cover? and could I then use a throttlebody cleaner to get the last bit of performance from air going through a clean area to the block?

Assuming the car is not for the E30 race series then all of the above would be as great idea. Would be interesting to know though if these do make any difference to performance. Let us know

Thanks

Mark

The car is not going to be used in the race series.I feel that it is in very good condition and I am looking at going down the road of trying to improve small things and fit bits to it that are BMW from upspect cars and maybe taking out things that are not to its benefit here.If I can get some more info from people here then I would be happy to pass on any visible improvement but it must be an improvement or I don't see the point in carrying out the exercise