Sign in to follow this  
TwinTurboM3

E36 M3 Twin Turboo

12 years? holy cow. and naming a turbo kit after a dead grandparent?

i know this is the interweb, but thats still wierd

What's the inside joke?

year what am i missin out on lol

look on DAs site 1000bhp kit for 22k, but some one had it installed on their car, ran like sh*t, only made 400hp and blew up

i know the story, been in that 1000 hp M3. owner was ...hole and made problems with payment. so that was a muscle m3. the guy took back his m3 after 18 months because of money

man there is such a huge variation in the price if kits huh? maybe a stupid question but why? is it coz this is a tried and tested kit?

the software the most expensive part? surely the new motec could run it just as well or no?

wheres the other 15 grand going???

liam

Turbo manifold tune is really not that critical anyway, remeber those exhuast gases still have to work against a turbine wheel to spin all that boost up on the compressor wheel

I'd rather keep my car in a non blown up state!

Turbo manifold tune is really not that critical anyway, remeber those exhuast gases still have to work against a turbine wheel to spin all that boost up on the compressor wheel

Are you joking? Manifold design plays a huge roll in how the turbo will spool and respond.

Are you joking? Manifold design plays a huge roll in how the turbo will spool and respond.

No jokes... Are you speaking from experince, pretty pictures in magazines or what you have been told by the man? Please do explain your manifold theorys on spooling and response.

No jokes... Are you speaking from experince, pretty pictures in magazines or what you have been told by the man? Please do explain your manifold theorys on spooling and response.

mind explaining yours??

mind explaining yours??

I think there is a common misconception out there that a turbo manifold should look like a set of extractors with a flange to bolt a turbo on at the end.Common knowledge tells us that extractors are used for the scavaging effect of exhuast gasses from the cylinders but in a turbo aplication that effect is lost due to gasses working against a turbine wheel.Just think how much power it takes to run a pump running at various flows and pressure like a turbo does... well thats the amount of power required from your exhuast gasses to spin up that turbo and hence shape of the manifold is not that critical because the biggest restriction is the turbine wheel and housing itself.As long as the inside diameter of the manifold is the correct size and the turbo is as close as possible to the cylinder head to take advantage of the still rapidly expanding gasses then your going to have a decent setup if you are using the correct size turbo for your engine size and boost requirements.Those are my thoughts.... i would like to hear others

Are you suggesting that this hold no advantage over that DA one:

Posted Image

I know what I'd rather be running...

http://www.fiatforum.com/cinq-sei-technica...ry-garrett.html

That link is mostly on the exhaust but:

For turbo cars, you throw all that out the window. You want the exhaust velocity to be high upstream of the turbine (i.e. in the header). You'll notice that primaries of turbo headers are smaller diameter than those of an n/a car of two-thirds the horsepower. The idea is to get the exhaust velocity up quickly, to get the turbo spooling as early as possible. Here, getting the boost up early is a much more effective way to torque than playing with tuned primary lengths and scavenging. The scavenging effects are small compared to what you'd get if you just got boost sooner instead. You have a turbo; you want boost. Just don't go so small on the header's primary diameter that you choke off the high end.

As for primary lengths on turbo headers, it is advantageous to use equal-length primaries to time the arrival of the pulses at the turbine equally and to keep cylinder reversion balanced across all cylinders. This will improve boost response and the engine's VE.

There is no way you can say that that DA manifold will keep up gas velocities, keep cylinder reversion balanced, or keep equal pulse arrival at the turbo.

and lastly:

Posted Image

BMW's turbo F1 engine, I dont see them f**king round with POS log designs?

Edited by Mike

Then why do you see all the high HP cars running manifolds with separate runners for each cylinder like this?

Posted Image

Separate runners are needed to keep velocity and pulse energy as high as possible

DA Motorsports is a joke, theres stuff about them all over bimmerforums.

As i have said manifold tune is not critical...road going vs race cars are two different matters as is L/H vs R/H drive vehicals.In reality on a R/H drive road going car a dirty old log manifold is more than able of producing the goods?

As i have said manifold tune is not critical...road going vs race cars are two different matters as is L/H vs R/H drive vehicals.In reality on a R/H drive road going car a dirty old log manifold is more than able of producing the goods?

I do agree up to a certain point a log manifold is perfectly fine, and in some cases necessary. however I still say that DA one is pretty bad, would cause all sorts of flow disruption. There are far better solutions out there than that.

there is a big big difference between "doing the job" and doing something "right"

a log manifold will work, will work well and will be sufficient for most - it still doesnt mean it is the best solution.

the DA manifold has a lot of sharp transitions which means it would probably flow quite badly..it would do the job but not necessary well. + it looks like an abortion..make something look pretty if for the simple reason of doing something well!

Read Corky Bell - maximum boost, its a very interesting turbo book