Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

Heres a few teasers to give you guys a fair idea of what will be going on under the hood of the E30 in the next month or so:

Genuine GARRETT GT3582R turbo with the .63 exhaust wheel option...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LINK G3 ECU + LINK Boost Controller...

Posted Image

Posted Image

More photos and updates to come, WATCH THIS SPACE :D

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

Yes, oh yes!!!

Turbo time! Keep us updated.

Fark thats a big turbo. Very interested to see this develop!!

Yes, oh yes!!!

Turbo time! Keep us updated.

Haha for shuwa bro be interesting to see how it goes against ur yet to be project? Wont say any details though beau haha!

Fark thats a big turbo. Very interested to see this develop!!

Yea shes a whooper allright. Should be mint though read a few topics on bimmerforum for a recomended size and this seems to be popular.

Luke

Hahaha yes...yet to be, yet to be.

Know how it feels haha cant wait to have mine all sorted. Custom exhaust manifold is gonna be the fun part, got the money just waiting to find someone who can make it lol!

OMG awesome~! yES TURBO M50!!!!!!!!

Nice! That is a beast of a turbo.

V excited to see/hear this.

Ah cant ya get a BIGGER one !!!!!!!!

wow there goes about $3500 easy.

It will be great to see you make progress and raise some eyebrows.

how do you plan on keeping traction in that car ?

Very interested in what you plan to do with Intercooling/fuel system/boost control ect.

keep up the good work.

I want one of those turbo's for my Z31, they are just badass.

dam cool, M50's seem to love boost from what I've seen. any power/performance goals in mind?

Thats right Drifty M50 turbo, been wanting to do this for a while now ever since i seen them on youtube lol! Just wanna show the nissan/toyota boys how cool these can be... oh and of course for personal satisfaction. Yup be very exciting to see how she goes thats if I can get down the road with my rear end of the driveline holding up probably gonna need to source some E30 M325i Shafts and CVs.

wow there goes about $3500 easy.

It will be great to see you make progress and raise some eyebrows.

how do you plan on keeping traction in that car ?

Very interested in what you plan to do with Intercooling/fuel system/boost control ect.

keep up the good work.

I want one of those turbo's for my Z31, they are just badass.

Yea I got the turbo for a real good price as a mate of mine is the garrett dealer here in new plymouth but still a big chunk out of my savings haha. Traction ummmm thats an interesting one to say the least, lets say it will be non existent for a while until i can afford some wider wheels and fit them in the guards. Guards are flared already got 25mm spacers on front and back.

Intercooler is only small to start out with, I just purchased a pre-made E30 intercooler kit from the states with very little modifying to make it fit. Comes with a small intercooler to fit inside the factory bumper, wanna paint it black to keep it stealth, screamer pipe isnt gonna give much away :rolleyes:

Fuel system im probably going to use a high flow Airtek pump I can get at cost through work, Rising rate FPR regulator and some bigger BOSCH injectors, anyone know of a good size? say 550cc? And where to get them from?

Boost control is controlled through the electronic boost controller Jimmy. Ross, my tuner will set it at a safe boost level and I wont be able to touch it which is kind of a good thing. Obviously ill ask him to tune it to the max safest boost though.

dam cool, M50's seem to love boost from what I've seen. any power/performance goals in mind?

Haha they love it aye and just sound so insane under boost also. Probably looking at around 300 - 350hp at the wheels until I can afford and be bothered putting a MLS headgasket and bigger bosch injectors in. Complete stock motor is good for upto nearly 400hp on a nice reliable tune which the link should be very capable of. All comes down to the tune at the end of the day. Keep her from detonating and getting hot and you should have a reliable setup (on the engine side of things anyway)

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

Anyone know of a descent fabricator that could build me a top mounted exhaust manifold? Id preferably like to give them my spare head of my other m50 that they could use to manufacture a manifold that way i can still drive my car. Either that or know of any manifolds on the market that are made for an M50 top mounted.

Cheers, Luke

welcme to the 'spending large $$'s' club.

looks like your off to a good start. buying the big ticket units are a good thing to get out of the way early on.

that way every thing else seems cheap.:)

i've got 42lb's (450cc) injectors in my setup at the moment.good for up to 450-500hp before thye run out of

capasity.depending on tune.

try TCD,they've got injectors etc at ok prices. if anyone got better i'd be keen to hear from you.as i need some bigger ones.

ask 'damo' regarding fabricators he knows a few good outfits.

as for exhaust, pete in papakura, papa' mufflers did mine,brents, and few other.he does awesome work.

dont be shy to part with 900,from memory.

anyways,good luck

Haha cheers topcat. Not that it's new to me lol... had a DA6 that i turboed once which is a good thing cause it taught me not to cheap out (learnt the hard way). Unlike the integra i decided first to purchase the ECU side of things instead of last or even at all haha. Was gonna buy a cheap turbo again also but thought i may as well do it properly and be patient :D

You could try these topcat... http://www.injectorsonline.com/indivprod.php?c=1

Scroll down to the bottom and have a look at the BOSCH and SIEMENS injectors.

Cheers man im in new plymouth so probably get the exhast done here but as for the manifold i dont have alot of choice, are you saying $900 for the manifold or the exhaust itself? I have about $1000 for a manifold...

Luke

i payed 900 for exchaust.geusetimated round 800 for manifold

Awesome stuff! Welcome to the bottomless pit of money called BMW FI :P.

Edited by ecko_complex

Who made ur manifold?

first one was a homer.works but can be approved on.second will be a TCD or a custom one,looking like the ones on 666fabrication.com

Awesome stuff! Welcome to the bottomless pit of money called BMW FI :P.

Hard out lol all worth it to me though!

first one was a homer.works but can be approved on.second will be a TCD or a custom one,looking like the ones on 666fabrication.com

You made it yourself? Oh yea that one on 666fabrication.com is like USD$1900!!!!!!!!! :o

Haha YES go you!

What do M50's turbo like? Their internals and stuff handle?

Ahh bottom end is good for around just under 400hp i believe, then 500-550hp with a descent tune/ecu, MLS 3 ply headgasket and bigger injectors fuel pressure regulator bigger fuel pump etc...

Put Four new gas shocks in last night all shortened so springs are captive now man does the car brake and handle so much better! Also put E30 M325i rear arms/hubs/CV Joints and axles in to help strengthen up the rear end of the driveline a little more, duno how much they gonna handle tho lol.

Heres some photos of my intercooler/BOV Kit which arrived, photos arnt that great as i had to take them as quickly as possible. Didnt want dad comming in and asking why i have an intercooler etc in my room haha :L

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yea sweet aye, got the intercooler kit from ebay cost me $510 or something landed freight was more than the kit...

where'd you get that intercooler and kit from? trademe or ebay item? looks like a good size to hide behind the bumper