Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

Ok so its been a few weeks and more spending has occured. Still in the early stages at the moment all I need now is a manifold and to sort out the oil/water lines. I have purchased a Turbosmart 50mm Pro-gate Wastegate, SARD Rising Rate FPR with pressure gauge and have installed an AutoClutch 6 PUK Clutch & heavier pressure plate. Also purchased an external 500hp walbro fuel pump and installed my Boost and Oil Pressure gauge.

I decided to change to a solid single plate flywheel and make rid of the dual mass flywheel which was on its way out anyway.

Heres some more pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Boost Junky

water lines are cake, just run them off your throttle body.

for oil lines go into your nearest hydraulic shop and get them to sort you out. expect to pay around $100 or more for the feed line depending on how many fittings or adapters you need. For the drain I used the skyline flange and pipe from the turbo and welded a fitting onto the timing cover just above the sump.

Tell us about the flywheel/clutch! The dual mass flywheel in my M3 is horrible.

Shiny stuff in the mail - cool

Just in case you haven't seen it theres a dude doing the same as you now - click

water lines are cake, just run them off your throttle body.

for oil lines go into your nearest hydraulic shop and get them to sort you out. expect to pay around $100 or more for the feed line depending on how many fittings or adapters you need. For the drain I used the skyline flange and pipe from the turbo and welded a fitting onto the timing cover just above the sump.

Cheers Mike, Yea wasnt so sure on the waterlines but had read somewhere about running them off the throttle body you dont know where any pics are of this been done? Done oil lines before as my last turbo project car only ran oil lines on the turbo. So you actually run the oil drain to above the sump? Im guessing this is because the oil level comes up to high in the sump due to the lean of the M50? Thinks last time hydraulink charged me about $90 for a 1m long oil feed with fittings etc i think im gonna do a braided return also, of about 14mm ID.

The dual mass yes is a pig! I think the motor revs alot more responsively now hard to say i think it has better acceleration now. I now question why I just didnt do the solid single flywheel conversion in the first place when i did the M50 swap.

Thanks tastic hopefully I can tax a few ideas off him but i might be ahead of him at this point.... went and talked to my fabricator last night and looks like its all go for the manifold very shortly

Cheers, Luke

Yea sorry... reason for that, not much really happening atm. Apparantly my mates brothers work is meant to be CNC Cutting the manifold flanges out this week so should be done now then my mates brother just needs to make the manifold lol. So after that ill nearly be done! Few small things done that I may as well show ya in the mean time, my boost, oil pressure and water temp gauges are all hooked up.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I can say it get some MASSIVE brakes.

Badass

All I can say it get some MASSIVE brakes.

Badass

Haha too right Andrew, chur.... Well finally some progress today. My fabricator finally got started on the manifold this morning and has tacked it up to the general kinda shape we want. All I can say is TIGHT FIT :o

For the turbo down pipe im going to have to run 3" off the turbo to the back of the engine bay and then S aroun the back of the manifold then S back round the Steering rod and out to the exhaust system along with some tricky oval pieces to give more clearance. As far as to where the wastegate will fit im stumped for now.

Theres plenty of room for it but, only if i were to attacth it in the oppostite direction of the exhaust gas flow. Not this is vital if you want the wastegate to vent reliably and effectively. I have to mount it no more than 90 deg of the main direction of the exhaust flow, best performance is in a V shape from the manifold.

Heres some pics of the rough shape of the manifold in place:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

;)

Forgot to mention I also fitted my intercooler up the other day and hope to do the intercooler pipin in the next week or so. Also you can see in some of the above photos how I had to cut out some of the battery try for room to run the downpipe off the turbo, battery will now be placed in the boot...

Heres the intercooler mounted:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looking good man, keen to see you squeeze a 3" through there. definately do-able but from the pics looks like will be very tight.

Where'd you source the flange from? I had a family friend cut my old ones but can't use him anymore. Are you planning to slot the holes at all? Long manifold like that is going to expand quite a bit. Can you get to all the bolts easily? Couple of mine are a real PITA to get at, basically got to slide an open-ender up between the mani and block.

Would also like to see more pics of your inter-cooler and plumbing when its all done, heat soak owns me at the moment.

keep the updates coming (not that i'm any good at that)

Not bad eh Mike. Yea um 3" you reckon i could fit that somewhere? I was going to go 3" to the firewall then 2.5" to get around the manifold and steering arm.

My mate's work had his work cut them out with a cnc lathe. Do you mean make each port hole individual in the flange? That might be a good idea actually. I was also reading on another guys post last night, that its important to have on the turbo end have the outlet from the manifold in two ports due to the runners being of unequal length?

As far as the bolts go not all of mine are in so might be a good idea to check haha but the majority of the ones that are on there still allow the manifold to slip on no sweat. I have only used two nuts to hold the manifold on so far so will have to make sure i can get them all on.

Yea bro for sure I might try do the intercooler piping today be nice to get it done so will post pics up if I do. Haha thats right you dont have an intercooler yet aye?

No, I'd keep the flange solid, maybe chop it half way to allow for some expansion if anything. I was meaning enlarging the actual bolt holes, just stops you from shearing studs off. Basically keep the ones in the middle of the mani (cyls 3 & 4) the same (so it still sits right) and gradually make them a bit larger as you get towards cylinders 1 and 6.

Other issue along with actually accessing the nuts is to make sure you can get the mani on and off with the studs in the head. I have to jack up one side of the motor and looks like I have more room than you.

my wastepipe is 2.5" around the steering column, definatley room for 3" around that part, just maybe not where you get around your manifold, too hard to tell from the pics. I would try for 3" all the way, 2.5"will be way to small on your motor

yea, my current IC is bit of a joke

Oh sweet cause it fits fine atm but havnt had it heat up yet obviously haha. Ah I see I will do that just in case I think lol. Suprisingly Mike the manifold slips on and off no sweat, you slide it off the studs and then towards the front of the engine bay and presto! haha, so yea plenty of room suprisingly.

Yea you can't see from the photos but there is def no way even 2.5" can route between the block and steering arm let alone 3" :angry: back to the drawing board again i think, could get him to change the angle of the last runner comming out of the manifold.

Good sh*t, been waiting for an update on this! Cant wait too see more.

Cheers

Chris

That's hawt. Should go well!

What size diff you got? Medium case or small case (blow it into smithereens).

I think it might have been a 318i or 320i to start with, so medium case only if he changed it :wacko:

(nevermind I searched and he has a medium case - all good)

Edited by CamB

That's hawt. Should go well!

What size diff you got? Medium case or small case (blow it into smithereens).

I never killed the small case diff in the turbo (280hp)

I never even killed one in the racecar, I was suprised how much they can take.

I imagine with the torque of this monster the splines would round off the halfshafts (like Glenn had)

Yea things are finally starting to happen Chris. Yep shes a medium cased diff, has always been even though my car was factory 318i... could have been changed sometime before Dad purchased the car. I have got the M325 CV Joints and axles so dunno wether that will sort out the spline issue Andrew?

Not really sure about how much boost I shall be running, the guy whos tuning it will tune it to the most amount of power possible whilst keeping a safe reliable tune. Hopefully I can run atleast 10-12psi, should be able to no hassle..

I was thinking today is there any other M50 E30's in the country? Im sure Glen or somebody used to have one? Im positive theres no Turbo ones...

Yea things are finally starting to happen Chris. Yep shes a medium cased diff, has always been even though my car was factory 318i... could have been changed sometime before Dad purchased the car. I have got the M325 CV Joints and axles so dunno wether that will sort out the spline issue Andrew?

Not really sure about how much boost I shall be running, the guy whos tuning it will tune it to the most amount of power possible whilst keeping a safe reliable tune. Hopefully I can run atleast 10-12psi, should be able to no hassle..

I was thinking today is there any other M50 E30's in the country? Im sure Glen or somebody used to have one? Im positive theres no Turbo ones...

Gary used to have one. M50 B25 non turbo.

Andrew - I hope you're right about the small case diffs, coz that's what I've got and I'm hoping for 250ish hp (turbo)...