Sign in to follow this  
pr0fess0r

Dynamic Drive failure

Hi Guys

Our '03 545i is having a recurring computer problem and I wonder if anyone has seen it before. It starts at random times when driving. The computer comes up with a Dynamic Drive error, and then usually a number of other errors including Transmission failure, Control Systems failure (the speedo stops working), Tyre Pressure Monitor failure etc. Sometimes the Transmission failure is accompanied by a thud under the car, and it feels like it's in 1st gear when we drive it. Turning the car off for a minute or so usually clears the problem.

It happens at random so we wonder if it's a computer fault? We recently had the car serviced at BMW in Silverfield and told them about it but they couldnt find a problem, so we've taken pics of the error screens and hopefully it'll happen when we take the car in. But we'd like to give them as much info as possible so if anyone has heard of this before we'd love to hear about it!

Cheers

Edited by pr0fess0r

Very interesting, Im guessing you're talking about Jerry Clayton Silverfield lane in Aucks.

If so take it back, if you suspect they have caused the problem then pursue it.

When is it happening? 5 minutes into a drive? or completely randomly?

Our '03 545i is having a recurring computer problem and I wonder if anyone has seen it before. It starts at random times when driving. The computer comes up with a Dynamic Drive error, and then usually a number of other errors including Transmission failure, Control Systems failure (the speedo stops working), Tyre Pressure Monitor failure etc. Sometimes the Transmission failure is accompanied by a thud under the car, and it feels like it's in 1st gear when we drive it. Turning the car off for a minute or so usually clears the problem.

It happens at random so we wonder if it's a computer fault? We recently had the car serviced at BMW in Silverfield and told them about it but they couldnt find a problem, so we've taken pics of the error screens and hopefully it'll happen when we take the car in. But we'd like to give them as much info as possible so if anyone has heard of this before we'd love to hear about it!

It sounds like an intermittent problem with a common component.

The common components to those systems are:

1. Power

2. Databus

3. Wheel speed sensors (I believe)

The easiest way to diagnose is to use the BMW diagnostic equipment, which means a dealer visit.

Don't discount the independent guys like BM Workshop or Botany Motor Works - they both have the ability to test and diagnose and can be much cheaper than Mr Official Dealer.

Hi

It happens completely at random, and it started happening before we took the car in for a service, but it's happening more and more frequently now. It usually starts with the Dynamic Drive failure, and then other failures happen shortly afterwards :(

cheers

Very interesting, Im guessing you're talking about Jerry Clayton Silverfield lane in Aucks.

If so take it back, if you suspect they have caused the problem then pursue it.

When is it happening? 5 minutes into a drive? or completely randomly?

Well we finally found out what it was - a dodgey alternator! The fluctuating power kept causing the computer to crash and making the idle irregular. All good now!

I missed this thread.... Yes the alternator and battery will cause this problem, Non driveabilty a Non safety systems shut down to protect the vehicle so it can be driven with all safety features working.

if you dont drive long distances often i would suggest u buy a trickle charger to keep the battery at its peak,when driving around town the alternator does not recharge the battery enough(for fuel economy reasons),-these batteries are only charged to about 80% as a norm,putting around town makes the problem worse!!

You need a special battery charger for calcium type batteries. A standard charger wont do the job

Good to see you have it sorted, when niggles happen on modern cars with advanced systems like the E60 has it can be quite worrying, especially when they are out of warranty. I won’t ask what a Alternator cost ya.

if you dont drive long distances often i would suggest u buy a trickle charger to keep the battery at its peak,when driving around town the alternator does not recharge the battery enough(for fuel economy reasons),-these batteries are only charged to about 80% as a norm,putting around town makes the problem worse!!

Interesting, is this the same on older cars? I often idle the E30 for 15 minutes if I haven’t driven it that week in the hope it was recharging the battery.

low voltages even cause strange problems in old e34s!I was going to suggest it was a low voltage condition...Glad it was a easy fix,must have been a bit of a worry!

Voltage is number 1 when running any electronics, main rail @ 12volts, this is then reduced by regulators to say 5volts or 3.3volts....if the input (12v) drops too low then your regulated rails will also drop causing malfunction.

We had a 2005 Audi in the other day with transmission problems. Turned out to be battery. Alternator was overcharging to try and keep battery voltage up and the trans computer didnt like it. New battery...all sorted

BTW.. We have a customer with an E60 with the same problem with his I Drive, if he leaves the car without running it for a couple of days. He needs a new battery and refuses to fit a new one because the car still starts and the I Drive doesnt work untill its been driven for about 10-15 minutes... he just wont listen... however ....it will fail and possibly take out the alternator with it

Edited by *Glenn*

Well luckily it was covered by insurance :)

I hope you fitted a new battery as well. Its normally the battery that causes the alternators to fail. We wont fit a new alternator without a new battery on the later model cars

Yep, know of a wanker person who is the same, they must have re charged their tired old battery 20 times to save money on a new battery, im sure half the faults are due to low vaults.

Hmm that rimes.. Low vaults lots of faults..

Edited by Apex

i dont beleive how people think they can save a few dollars..I can see it now...sometime during the xmas holidays the battery will finally give up the ghost.I wonder where he will be .He prolly doesnt realise he wont be able to get in.......

Wow, I'm glad I found this post. I'm actually having this identical problem. Same faults and everything. It's happening more and more frequently and once after a long drive, the car wouldn't restart. Had to push start it (manual trans).

Took it to dealership, at first, they said they found low voltage faults, but wasn't anything to worry about. Battery tested fine. Finally I brought it in and they did a heavy load test on the electrical system and said that the alternator was overcharging the battery. So they said that needs to be replaced, along with the "smart switch" for the battery. Total job is gonna run me about $1300 USD. I found an Indie guy that was referred to me from a friend. Said he could do it for about $800. I may dish out the extra $$ to have it done at the dealer. I feel more comfortable with them. (Is that wrong?)

I'm curious to know how you got your insurance to cover it? Do you mean warranty?

Thanks!

Nate

Yeah, it's a mechanical warranty that for a few hundred bucks a year covers quite a lot and has saved us thousands!

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to buy one of those service plans, but I watched a TV program on how companies like US Fidelis end up not covering a lot stuff and leaving their customers stuck with the bill. I'm very leery about buying one of these. Do you have a company you recommend? I've only had the car for 3 months and I've already dished out a bunch of money on repairs. I think it might be worth it to research and buy a service plan.

Go to this forum for US specific information :-)

BTW, it's not a service plan, it'smore of mechanical warranty. It means that you are still paying for your maintenance, but if something goes wrong with your car, hopefully the warranty will cover it.

Search through that site, they've discussed this particular topic to death.

Drool-the mans got a 6spd 545.

Nate-6spds are very rare here in NZ-lucky you LOL.

Quick update. Had a new alternator put in and the intelligent smart switch replaced and all my problems are solved! I love my car again. :)

Drool-the mans got a 6spd 545.

Nate-6spds are very rare here in NZ-lucky you LOL.

:) Thanks Rotty. Yes, I was super pumped when I found this car with a 6 speed!