Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road Legal Track Car on a Budget

Hi if you are looking for some bits or advice you are welcome to come and see me (I'm in Petone).

Come and have a look at a 318 series car (I've collected a lot of spares over time, some cheap bits).

Bring your Dad I'm sure I can convince him to go the the E30 series route.

I'm at Interpart

82 Sydney St

Petone.

5666 391

My car is here most of the time except when it's at the panel beaters :o

Paul.

coming along nicely!

love the colour

looks like you have the same gear knob as me

looking forward to the next pictures

Need everyones opinion, on e30 tech saw heaps of panda e30s (white with black wheels, bonnet, shadowlined etc etc.

Thought I would be different and go 'red panda' lol, I have some stainless steel flares that I want to gloss black, ive shadowlined and blacked kidneys, should I go smoked tails, front and side indicators as well? mabe even gloss the bonnet black? I have some bottlecaps that I thought I could either gloss black and clearcoat or make them look like this: post-3292-1222385884.jpg and gloss black the centres with a chrome polished lip? dont flame me im a poor uni student trying to make the most of what hes got.

Constructive input is appreciated :D

Cheers

Black/Polish bottlecaps look really good imho. I was going to do that to my bottlecaps, but I'm too much of a ricer and went for some 16"s.

Do it! Red panda > white panda. Just make sure red = red not faded pink :P Keep bonnet red though...black bonnets are over done, and if not CF look a bit tacky imho

Where'd you get your gearknob? Looks like a NISMO/TRD one. Great to use :)

Need everyones opinion, on e30 tech saw heaps of panda e30s (white with black wheels, bonnet, shadowlined etc etc.

Thought I would be different and go 'red panda' lol, I have some stainless steel flares that I want to gloss black, ive shadowlined and blacked kidneys, should I go smoked tails, front and side indicators as well? mabe even gloss the bonnet black? I have some bottlecaps that I thought I could either gloss black and clearcoat or make them look like this: post-3292-1222385884.jpg and gloss black the centres with a chrome polished lip? dont flame me im a poor uni student trying to make the most of what hes got.

Constructive input is appreciated :D

Cheers

I did it to my 320 when I was a poor schoolboy - i liked it. Rock it.

A post from 2004 - badass

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=379

I did it to my 320 when I was a poor schoolboy - i liked it. Rock it.

A post from 2004 - badass

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=379

Those wheels look sick im pretty much sold. Did u mask and respray the silver or just mask it out and do the black?

What about the bonnet? do I do it or is it too ricer?

Edited by Forrest

Red panda sounds great!

Posted Image

Haha I love it. Not sure weather I can justify doing the bonnet though. Anyone know any people that would do a base coat and a shot of clear for cheap in wellington? If I pre primered it etc?

Bumpage for update,

Have finished the intake minus some hose clamps, have to say it looks pretty pro racer haha, will have the rear bumper on in the next few days, picking up bottlecaps in the next few days, rear spoiler all set to go on, momo wheel arrived in the mail to go on, car will be on the downlow for a while, got exams for uni and also need to save up some funds ;) modification is like a drug.

Will have some pics soon as.

Chur

Go the facelift 316i :P

Hell yeahs man cant beat it, why follow the crowd when you can be different? haha/just too poor ass to afford something fast

Bump for a update:

Collected all these bits to go in: Kerching $$$/Scavenging money to pay for these lol

Bilsteins

H+R Springs

325i Rear Sway Bar

3 Bottlecaps (Need a 4th, anyone in welly got one in good shape (don't matter if it has a tyre or not) for a box of beers and a little cash??

New bootlid and passenger front guard

Various interior pieces

Jamex Bucket (Need some brackets rails if anyone knows where I can get some)

Europlates that arrived today :D

Have finished cold air intake, shadowlining, radio ariel delete

So need to source: (PM me if you got these :))

1 Centre Chrome Grill, 1 Bottlecap Wheel, Bucket Seat Bracket and Rail

Also decided to cut the red panda idea and just do subtle body mods keeping with the q-ship apparence it already has :P

Input is welcome, will have pics up within the week

Guest Simon*

Good work dude

I'm impressed with the rate you're getting all this done. Looking forward to some updated pics when you get it done

Yay for keeping the bonnet and boot the same colour. Definitely look forward to seeing it on the road!

Bump for update;

Busy as next couple days on the car, purchasing new bootlid, 4th wheel, chrome grill, bilsteins, springs, 51mm struts, 325 rear sway bar, installing battery kill switch, modded alloy center console pieces, paint for a pillar repair, start welding up seat bracket for e30 rails, repaint exhaust tip with hpc etc etc, pics to come when its done :D

Edited by Forrest

Long weekend souhld be good youl get heaps done. I will come see after exams

Liking the intake.

Tastic: Yeah man I will get cracking on the rear end and finish the seat. Feel free to bust me a text when you are free and roll over.

Plan to have the car built for the whittakers meeting/race series meeting at Manfield, sort of on track atm, I will be cutting it fine, but good to have a goal

Nathan

Edited by Forrest

looking good!

as a few other have said, like the colour!

Nathan,

May need to check but if you take out the rear seat then you shouldn't need rear belts. There are a few 4 door E30s in the series which obviously wont have rear seats/belts.

The harness normally attach to the cage

Yes 325 brakes fit with 14"alloys

Remove carpet - not necessarily, I know of at least one series car still with carpet in

Just a Tip on the belt mounts.. you can but it's not ideal to mount them to the floor the angle is a bit too steep. Really a Cage is the smartest place. if you have no seats you dont need belts, some pedantic testings stations will make you make the seat mounts in-operable, if they do just snap bolts off in the holes.

Cheers, oh and thanks for the tip on the E30s at pick-a-part!

Thought I better add an update, havnt posted on this thread in a while.

Stuff Ive done:

- Bucket seat bracket welded and painted, mounted in car with seat

- Taken off exhuast manifold to replace gasket

- Painted the 'm40 weapon' (as it is now called) rocker cover

- One wheel sanded back and primed ready for polaris silver

- Paint ordered for wheel and respray of passenger A pillar

- Killed some rust on passenger front guard, boot and engine bay seals and wire brushed battery tray and primed ready for repaint

- Sprayed front and rear sway bars yellow to match the bilsteins when I get them :P

- Had a look at bushes, are not in good shape, getting on to ordering this week

- Map pocket delete (wanky I know, but gives more room for legs when bucket seat is mounted

- Stitched and repaired seat (thanks mum lol)

Stuff to do next:

- Buy exhaust off sydwayz

- Buy bootlid (still havnt got round to doing it (sorry brent :()

- New exhaust gasket from BMW

- Take rear end out, check rear subframe bushes, then swap with disc rear end when can manage to unlock the handbrake spring on the rotors :(

- Disassemble and remove front struts for 51mm struts when get round to it

- Order bushes (atm doing diff hanger and trailing arms) any other suggestions??

- Buy some new rotors for rear end

- Couple brackets needed for rear sway bar

Looks like Im gona be busy lol, now realistically want it all done mid Dec.....famous last words

- Also what does everyone think about a 4 point harness for daily driving? I just wana look cool lol and a normal

belt doesnt really suit my bucket seat..opinions please

Sorry for long post, will have pics when some cool stuff goes on :P

Till next time,

Nathan

Edited by Forrest

You'd be mad not to do the subframe bushes too, especially seeing as your pulling it all out and doing the other bushes.

Also, why run the bilstein and H+R combo, nothing wrong with it at all, but I thought series cars were all using koni's and king springs?

You'd be mad not to do the subframe bushes too, especially seeing as your pulling it all out and doing the other bushes.

Also, why run the bilstein and H+R combo, nothing wrong with it at all, but I thought series cars were all using koni's and king springs?

Okay will do that.

Umm, atm am not gona build it to race series spec (managed to get shocks and springs at very reasonable price, alot lower than cost of konis and kings) although I have still managed to forget this was sposed to be on a budget :P, am looking at possibilty of engine conversion next year to something along the lines of a sr20 much in the mould of the 300hp one on e30tech. but just an idea for the moment.

Ideally would like to run this till I can afford another DD, then full sandblast respray, roll cage and sr20 or something with some more mumbo. But for the moment just having fun putting this together to vastly improve from the boat I had b4 with the gangster sub and hubcaps b4 lol

- Also what does everyone think about a 4 point harness for daily driving? I just wana look cool lol and a normal

belt doesnt really suit my bucket seat..opinions please

It'd be safe only if you wore it properly (ie not loose, sitting low properly across your hips not your abdomen), and they are a PITA for reversing etc.

A bigger issue is you need a LVVTA Authority Card, which means a motorsport licence (Clubsport is cheap and easy), a club membership (how about the BMW Club), and an LVVTA/MSNZ legal harness. You also are supposed to do a couple of events a year minimum. Getting the authority card WILL mean your seat mount etc is looked at carefully by the LVVTA inspector. I think its free to get the Authority Card inspection - its not like a cert.

JiB has done it. He drives around in perpetual fear that the cops will pull him over for the harnesses, even though they are legal.

Edited by CamB