Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road Legal Track Car on a Budget

Yeah man getting it along with a bunch of stuff on Wednesday. Got my Race Series Front Konis today, just need a RHS 51mm Strut if anyone has one kicking around?? Just need that and a fitting kit Paul has ordered me and I will be good to go. Have decided to spend a bit more in the brake department now that I can go to vented discs on bigger struts on the front so will be looking to go brand new discs on the front with 325 calipers, with braided lines allround.

Need some wheels! Anyone has any 15's in e30 offset they want to sell me? Would prefer basketweaves but beggers can't be choosers.

Cheers, Nate

You could buy mine.... run staggered, 15X7 fronts and 16X7.5 rears.... i'm sure it'd give you the mean grip you need in a RWD :P

Plus i need to get rid of them so i can get some damned 15X7s lol

Haha I would, but its not like im putting down enough grunt to need to go staggered haha.

Bump for anyone with 15 inch baskets lying around

Haha I would, but its not like im putting down enough grunt to need to go staggered haha.

Bump for anyone with 15 inch baskets lying around

Mean man! Sounds mad, gonna hit up mossrax for the braided lines or buy premade? Rotors could be expensive man! Will stop on a dime when the pads are up to temperature!

Bump for a update and bling bling pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Have got all my front suspension parts apart from a small fitting kit to fit the Koni's to my new 51mm struts

- New Vented 325 front discs

- New Trusting Pads fitted on front and rear

- Pimpshizzle Motul Race Brake Fluid. Cheap as at $25 Trade per 250ml....Naaarrt. But should work ha.

- Modded door cards with fabric handles and a custom plywood electric wing mirror switch holder

- All sound deadening is removed (for reference, weighed just over 10kg)

- Sent bootlid to be resprayed

- Bling Simota hose dress up kit fitted

Next:

- Front suspension in tomorrow

- Exhaust needs to have cat sensor removed for the time being till I cut it off and weld in my new race exhaust

- Rear swaybar refitted

- Diff mount bolts retightened

- Bolt seats back in

- Fit standard exhaust for warrant

- More bimmersport stickers

- Join BMW Car Club

- Get custom exhaust made up

- Save up for; harnesses, helmet, overalls, racing boots and a MSNZ Fire Extinguisher

- Am also planning at this stage to keep my bottlecaps and get something along the lines of: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=203473862 or 14inch Toyo R888's. Opinions please :D

That's all for the moment, will hopefully fingers crossed bump this in the next few days with some pics of my car off the axle stands for the first time in 6 months :) Can't wait.

- Nathan

Edited by Brams

Nathan, your doors are so hoary! Its so tawa I love it

Yo they are sick ay, the common theme of the project, 'backyard as'

I love them, I love making up my own custom stuff in my head rather than getting someone else to do it and using theirs ;)

Far out your car's more pimped than mine now!

Hmm, I might copy those fabric handles to clear my cage :ph34r:

Nathan, your doors are so hoary! Its so tawa I love it

So true lol.... i might have to look at something like that too, my current handles are indenting the padding on the cage... gotta sort something out with my window winder as well, cage is in the way so only works when doors are open lol....

Well the front suspension it is rolling and it's looking ultra low and badass, completely changed the look of the car. Have work now, but pics to follow in the next coming hours :D

Bumpage for pics.

Doesn't help its looks rolling on black bikkies but you get the idea, have added a pic of my dads Fraser Clubman with my mates in it (who have helped me a ****load with all the yuck jobs so far) for comparison of badassness :P

Really needs a clean, hasn't had one or seen daylight in atleast 4 months, when my bootlid is back it will get the million dollar treatment.

Comments are welcome, I am suprised how low it is, for reference have measured it at 120mm at the sump, may have to think about a sump guard???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

doesn't look 2 low, actually looks just right, i found when i did the suspension on my car the mudguards had to come off because they were touching the ground

good s**t

I did Kemp Rd with 100 ground to sump clearance. You probably don't need a sump guard unless you have one handy, or if you plan on doing sweet jumps.

Looks choice dude. What's under the hood of the caterham?

Thanks guys.

Um the fraser just has a standard Toyota 4AGE Twin Cam 16 valve straight off a taxi lol. Goes pretty hard, Dad really wants to upgrade to a 20v later generation with quad throttle bodies. Its about on pace with the race series guys at Manfield, still has drums at the back and road tyres which is what lets the package down, oh and a open diff but its still all fun.

nice man its getting there,

i love the colour of your car, never change it! <_<

nice man its getting there,

i love the colour of your car, never change it! <_<

Cheers bro.

Haha but Alpine White looks so much better.

Maybe not this week...

Damn straight.

Go the 316's :P, looking good.

Cheers bro.

It's a 316iR now, wait till you see my badging when I get the lid back from the painters. LOL

Bump for Bootlid pic.

Freshly painted, +1 to Soverign Paint and Panel in Tawa, beside Dressmart for you Wellington guys, was just over a week, was $225 incl GST, and that was me doing the prep work down to virtually bare metal. Did a great job and the color match is pretty damn near perfect. Also voted against the R, didnt look right looked a bit tacky LOL

Thanks.

Posted Image

In other news, left rear caliper has decided to block itself as me and dad were trying to bleed, am going bananas with the compressor tonight to clear it out.

Have had a dose of inspiration and may do this: except with a bonnet. Will get my bottles powdercoated gloss black with some toyo/yokohama semi slicks on it. Looks pretty BA, now to hit Mattzy up about how to attach a PFL Lip :P ohh I can hear the purists moaning as I type LOL.

post-3292-1235611860_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1235611891_thumb.jpg

Till next time, Nathan

Edited by Brams

I planned to do that when I wanted to go FL.

You need to cut slits out of the inner bit so it will bend and fit the narrower FL valence properly and you can wire tie it in place BEHIND the valence so it looks tidy.

Looks pimp when done right, those pictures are quite a bad example :S

If they hate then let them hate and watch the money pile up!

I don't if you saw this pic of my junker but I quite liked the PFL valence on it. I'm only ditching it in favour of a IS front lip.

You heading up to AKL anytime soon?

I won't be needing mine anymore and its already got slits to let it bend the mounting holes for zipties. Your welcome to have it in exchange for some booze or whatever.

Posted Image

Edited by Mattzy

Bit of a landmark tonight, took the car around the block for the first time since August.

Being the perfectionist I am wasn't very happy with how it went.

Short Shifter isn't working struggled to get it in any gear.

Realised my exhaust has a hole in it.

90% of my lights don't work at the right time.

Other than that it went semi ok.

Got some work to do.

- Nathan

So I am having major troubles with the lighting in my car, which nobody seems keen to help me with, (see my post in the Electrical forum). So I have decided to cover my tracks and rewire my gauges. It is a total mess behind the dash so this weekend I am going to take it out. I have decided to take out the heater etc at the same time, should save some weight. I am going to replace the instrument cluster and the headlight switch/dimmer with replacements and hopefully that will solve my problems.

Have got my water temp sender adaptor, does anyone know which radiator pipe I should cut? The top or bottom radiator pipe.

My exhaust is getting made hopefully the weekend after next, am too busy this Saturday riding the Karapoti Classic 50km Mountain Bike Race for you MTBers out there.

Wheels and tyres is in the stage of being finalised, just really frustrated about this electrical b**sh*t.

Have got a PFL lip, just havn't had time to touch it at all.

Raah back to the clifface.

- Nate