Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Looking at alarm

"weather" = the day-to-day atmospheric conditions, such as temperature, cloudiness, and rainfall, affecting a specific place :P

"whether" = used to introduce an indirect question

There's nothing wrong with Uniden, but it's been said before, and I'll say it again:

The quality of the alarm is directly proportional to the quality of the install.

A cheap alarm installed properly will do a better job at protecting your ride than the most expensive alarm on the market poorly installed. This means unless you have experience installing alarms, you need to get a pro to do it. If you are hiring a pro with the relevant experience and skill (ie NOT the cheapest in the ph book, or a mate of a mate) then they will most likely prefer to install their own alarm (as they are more familiar with them, and backed up by the manufacturer warranty etc). They'll charge you extra to install a pre-bought alarm as they won't be making their markup, and will have to cover themselves in case it fails and you come back crying to them.

Even if you did install it yourself, your insurance company wouldn't give you a discount as they will require it to be professionally installed.

My advice - contact one of the big alarm companies local installers (someone like Dynatron, Mongoose, or AVS) and have them install one of their alarms. it will set you back between $500 and $600 INSTALLED. That is good value, you will be happy with the result, the alarm will work, your insurance company will discount you, and if anything goes wrong, i know from personal experience you are backed up by the manufacturer.

There's nothing wrong with Uniden, but it's been said before, and I'll say it again:

The quality of the alarm is directly proportional to the quality of the install.

A cheap alarm installed properly will do a better job at protecting your ride than the most expensive alarm on the market poorly installed. This means unless you have experience installing alarms, you need to get a pro to do it. If you are hiring a pro with the relevant experience and skill (ie NOT the cheapest in the ph book, or a mate of a mate) then they will most likely prefer to install their own alarm (as they are more familiar with them, and backed up by the manufacturer warranty etc). They'll charge you extra to install a pre-bought alarm as they won't be making their markup, and will have to cover themselves in case it fails and you come back crying to them.

Even if you did install it yourself, your insurance company wouldn't give you a discount as they will require it to be professionally installed.

My advice - contact one of the big alarm companies local installers (someone like Dynatron, Mongoose, or AVS) and have them install one of their alarms. it will set you back between $500 and $600 INSTALLED. That is good value, you will be happy with the result, the alarm will work, your insurance company will discount you, and if anything goes wrong, i know from personal experience you are backed up by the manufacturer.

Yep, what he said + I’ll add that Cyclops also do great alarms and this is the price point id start looking at. Good mate off mine installs them and his cheapest package (Cyclops) starts at $450.

Yep, what he said + I’ll add that Cyclops also do great alarms and this is the price point id start looking at. Good mate off mine installs them and his cheapest package (Cyclops) starts at $450.

I thought it was best not to go with the uniden one and went and seen a proper install place today, I am looking at the Mongoose M80G , which has triple immobilisers and a list of features to long to list, Looking at $650 for a full black wire professional install.

Anybody have any opinions on this mongoose.

They are all quite good at that level TBH, not sure what three things on the engine it immobilises but you can’t go wrong as long as they do a decent install, good work suggesting the black wire install, if done well that should confuse the hell out of your average thief. A sound investment if you treasure your car and plan on keeping it for a while.

You should be able to get another $50 off that at least, you’d be amazed at how cheap the units themselves are.

If anyone needs one in Auckland, PM me for details on a good deal, sorry if im treading on any sponsors feet.

I thought it was best not to go with the uniden one and went and seen a proper install place today, I am looking at the Mongoose M80G , which has triple immobilisers and a list of features to long to list, Looking at $650 for a full black wire professional install.

Anybody have any opinions on this mongoose.

Good alarm & good back up from Mongoose. AGAIN as already said - ANY alarm is only as good as install.

Personally not a great fan on Uniden - I am an authorised installer for Mongoose & Dynatron, have fitted untold alarms & experience with Uniden has not always been good

Good choice!

The installer can choose what to use the immobilisers on.

Commonly it would be ignition itself, fuel pump, and then isolate a relay (maybe fuel pump again, or ignition again, or main engine relay on an e30)