Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

French Infiltrator - And i won't surrender!

So find a decent 1.9 box and take it with your 1.6 box to Greg Kent and get him to make a 1.9 (taller first) with the 1.6 final drive, which is the table you posted above. This is what he did for my mate's box, and he swapped synchros around too to make sure they were all good.

Even with an Mi16 you might struggle to run out of revs with those - 210kph is pretty quick (it'd be 220-230kph on the speedo) if you can get to 7,000rpm.

All the MI16 i've driven have had quite long gear ratios, all the pug GTIs are good like that.

So find a decent 1.9 box and take it with your 1.6 box to Greg Kent and get him to make a 1.9 (taller first) with the 1.6 final drive, which is the table you posted above. This is what he did for my mate's box, and he swapped synchros around too to make sure they were all good.

Ya thats the plan, greg's got all the gearboxes there for me to get bits from.

It's more just a money thing at the moment... 

Even with an Mi16 you might struggle to run out of revs with those - 210kph is pretty quick (it'd be 220-230kph on the speedo) if you can get to 7,000rpm.

The car doesn't have a problem finding the limiter in 5th at the moment...  :unsure:

I've got conflicting information about whats been done to the engine - so until i get it on a dyno and get a/f ratios, power, and torque figures i can't be certain. 

Right had a good chat with Greg and have worked out i'm look at $2,500 roughly before i can think of racing in the car.

This cost includes but is not limited to:

Gearbox (going to use an mi16 box) + associated seals

Rear Main engine seal - current one would have been fitted 6 years ago and while the gearbox is off... 

307 Front Capliers, discs, and pads - all second hand

New Master Cylinder - putting this off till 307 brakes are ready to be installed.

Brake Bias valve + new brake pipe lines - although not absolutely required, it would allow easy fitting of the bias valve and removal of the factory bias valve... 

Seal kit for 307 Front Calipers

New Pads - rear's definantly / fronts could try factory pads until worn...

Not in a particularly happy mood right now...

On the upside... The car will be pretty much as close to "new" as possible i think... 

I'd say with things they way they are right now... i'm at least 4+ months away more likely 5-6 months... 

So yes... this doesn't help the fact i'm ment to be saving for a lacrosse trip to the uk next april

Edited by DRTDVL

Bummer! I guess you'll get there eventually.

I don't have any clever advice at this stage - it doesn't look like much of that is avoidable (except maybe the bias valve and the seal kit for the brakes).

Edited by CamB

Seriously that isn't much coin for what you are getting out of it.

I <3 your car :)

If it was going to be a hatch it would be a pug..

Or Renault Clio :P

Edited by ED1RTY

Bummer! I guess you'll get there eventually.

I don't have any clever advice at this stage - it doesn't look like much of that is avoidable (except maybe the bias valve and the seal kit for the brakes).

Ya, i could leave the bias kit, but i'm thinking that for the couple hundred it's going to cost to do it would be benifitial to be able to control the rear braking levels. Espically with the larger front brakes going on. And with the gearbox out of the car it would be easier to move around the engine bay. 

I was hoping to have to do any of this after at least 5 events but oh well... 

Seriously that isn't much coin for what you are getting out of it.

I <3 your car :)

If it was going to be a hatch it would be a pug..

Or Renault Clio :P

I would love a Renault Megane F1... they are damm nice...  

Pug vs Renault??? hmm good choice... people are commenting that the new renault hatchs Cleo 172, 182, and 197 (i think thats its model) are the closest thing to a 205 you can get now days in terms of it's knife edge handling.

So yes... saving time it is... 

I'm basically going to have a fairly new spec car. All be it one that i'll look at doing a lot more once i rebuld some savings after the car is running... the car will eventually be running a full aftermarket ecu, ap racing brakes, proper pedal box, much better suspension, solid lifters, billet cams, custom headers, quad throttle bodies, 8000 - 8500 rev limit and the most important of all be converted to a gravel car...  :rolleyes: i mean after all - All the best things in life are dirty...

I've got a A4 size 10 font list of things i want to do the to the car after it's "Finished" well finished enough to enter events... Are racecars well cars ever finished?

I've got a A4 size 10 font list of things i want to do the to the car after it's "Finished" well finished enough to enter events... Are racecars well cars ever finished?

No. :P

All future race car work has been put on hold. (rego on hold also)

I've been asked to trial for the NZ Men's Lacrosse Team as the possible starting Goalie, for the world cup next year and with it being in the UK - i'm looking at a min of 5 grand i'll need to save. So unfortantly the money pit will not be getting fixed anytime soon - bar me winning lotto or something.

I'll continue to do cheap maintance stuff like, removing surface rust from under the car and repainting it with zinc based paint, and looking at doing the same for all undercar components. I'll look at making up a lovely work list so once the savings for the world cup has finished i can attack the car again....

Edited by DRTDVL

Replaced the gearbox fuild last night. Came out dark black with lots of gray in it... joy...

Flushed the box with anouther 4 ltrs of fuild before it started to look somewhat like what was going in.

Topped the box back up just as it started to rain.

sump guard... was off to do oil change so i figured i'd take a pic...

Posted Image

Guard does its job ;)

Peugeot are always best at under car guards, always a pain to take them off when doing oil changes etc !

When playing with the car on friday night we also heard what sounds to be a leak from the exhaust manifold...

Joy anouther thing to add to the list of things to fix...

I thought that leak was a factory feature? Jokes, just jokes.

At least it keeps you busy man,

it could be some sort of a family legacy that you can pass down to your kids for them to fix too :lol:

I thought that leak was a factory feature? Jokes, just jokes.

That would be the water leaks that fill the passenger and drivers footwells with water when i wash the car...  :D

At least it keeps you busy man,

it could be some sort of a family legacy that you can pass down to your kids for them to fix too :lol:

Need to do something to keep them off the streets... 

But i would rather be busy driving the thing vs fixing the thing... althought it will be very nice when it's done... well not broken... well not as broken... 

It's only an exhaust leak. That was an almost permanent feature of my 2002 (I must have driven home from the track sounding like a tractor on at least 3 occasions). I'm hoping the new exhaust setup will be a little more airtight.

Took a few photos on sunday... most didn't turn out too well as i didn't have a tripod and it was kinda dark...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Niiiiice,

First photo = Win.

+1 :P

Did the gearbox drive better after the change? Still thinking the short linkages might be more of hinderance than help.

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!

couldn't feel it balking into gear, althought i was taking it easy into first... third wasn't a problem at all!

i think if we fix that bush we should be all good..

Right update time...

Thursday night:

- replaced master cylinder

- bleed brakes unsucessfully - no pedal on drive home

- replaced gearbox selector arm bush - massive differance

- fitted new licence plate lights

Friday night:

- rebleed brakes

- figured out how to bleed hydrolic hanbrake

- swore at hydrolock handbrake

- drank beer

Saturday:

- fitted wet weather race tyres for wof

- GOT WOF!!! Ya bitches!

- registered car

- Swapped DRTDVL onto 205

- drove a bit

Still not happy with the brakes, I think a overhaul or new calipers is in order...

Over the moon about rego and wof...

Edited by DRTDVL

Over the moon about rego and wof...

Awesome! One day I shall have a wof/reg...

I think pictures should be the next step :D

Edited by JiB

Doing photo shoot with anouther club tomorrow... So should have some soon