Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Z3 Short Shift Group Buy

They will be here at the end of next week, so in my opinion not too long of a wait.

Still keen mate. Will talk to ya when you get here tonight for the interior.

Im Sorry for my late reply just had to pull the gear shift rod joint off my box.

Here goes my description as best i can remember:

First i removed the joint off the back off the shift rod by removing the spring clip around the outside and punching out the pin through the center.

Then removed the circlip and washer and pulled it off of the shaft attached to the gear stick.

post-2901-1245905468_thumb.jpg

This is the part once removed off of the gearbox.

I then set it up in a lathe as per the photo below and then drilled out the remains of the old bush making sure not to take any of the housing out with it. I think from memory the drill size is 12mm. And clean out the remains of the old bush from the linear grooves. (Sorry about the messy lathe i had been machining aluminum just before)

post-2901-1245905656_thumb.jpg

post-2901-1245905677_thumb.jpg

Once this is done it is now time to machine the bushes. I made my bushes out of PETP (Ertalyte) this is a hard wearing material with all the right properties of a bush in this application. You can also use Acetal (Delrin) it also has similar properties but the PETP is slightly harder wearing. I machined two L shaped bushes and pressed them in from either end. Below I have done a quick drawing of the housing and what the bushes will look like when installed.

housing.doc

The sizes i made them to I THINK (sorry i will write them down properly when i do another one) was

10.00 ID

15.00 OD2 (This was a press fit 0.1 up on the Steel size)

12.00 OD1 (This was a press fit 0.1 up on the Steel size)

15.85 HT

2.00 shoulder

Once they were installed in the housing I re-drilled the ID to out to 10mm to make sure it would fit on the shaft but be snug. This is what they look like installed.

post-2901-1245906074_thumb.jpg

post-2901-1245906123_thumb.jpg

I can do this for anyone if they want me to. I think it will cost around $10-$15 plus freight. Just PM me and we can go from there.

Thanks Brent

^ Can you take this joint off with the gearbox still bolted in the car? Cheers, I could be keen on getting one made up

Yes you can Nathan, but if you haven't done it before you may find it fiddly. Remove the clip and the linkage, and then there is a circlip around the joint that once removed will let you remove a small steel dowel pin and pull the joint off.

I want you to do a bush for me Mister Freemo. I'll get in touch in a few weeks after I've moved house and have the car in the garage.

^ Cheers G.

I want one also, maybe I wait till your ready bravo, and then Freemo can make two at once instead of mucking around twice?

Yeah mate. Give me a rev up in a couple of weeks so I don't get lazy and take forever.

UPDATE:

$140 including gst for shifter arm, plastic cup AND FITMENT if you come to Hamilton.

Much better than the RRP of $189 + fitting costs.

Edited by SIR E30

Freemo would the new bushes you do for the linkage be legal in the e30 series?

cheers

I can do this for anyone if they want me to. I think it will cost around $10-$15 plus freight. Just PM me and we can go from there.

Thanks Brent

Thats a awesome price mate , well done

for anyone doing This short shifter I highly recomeded doing this at the same time, i did mine with a brass sleve and the difference is amazing,

Matt

Edited by Matty104

Freemo would the new bushes you do for the linkage be legal in the e30 series?

cheers

Hi There sorry have been on holiday. I dont see why not unless someone wants to correct me. I am replacing the bush with the same material and same sizes. Its in 2 pieces as instead of one.

Thanks Brent

Shifters have arrived!

Please PM me with details if you havent done so already so I can arrange shipping.

PM and Payment Sent Jason.

To all the other guys that want one, this is a reminder to pay and place your shipping address now if you havn't done so already.

jase did you order 15 by any chance? we have a box of them sitting at work and i think fabian said you ordered them. dont know why everyone was going on about not be able to get them, we had no troubles getting them into stock

oops didnt read comments on previous page. they came in mid last week so sitting here waiting for you. if anyone is interested i advise on going for it. these are a very good buy. although do not go for it if you own a e36 328. one of the guys at work tried and it made the shift longer.

Still got a few shifters and bushes left guys! PM or text/call for info or orders 0210777792

Still got a few left. Also doing brass bushes that go in the knuckle on the back of the gear box. These are a great piece of work and make a huge difference to the shift. Brass is good because it doesnt wear out as quick as other materials and it is self lubricating. The brass parts are an extra $40

I can also sell bushes and plastic cups seperately if anyone is keen.

Cheers - Jason

Still got a few left. Also doing brass bushes that go in the knuckle on the back of the gear box. These are a great piece of work and make a huge difference to the shift. Brass is good because it doesnt wear out as quick as other materials and it is self lubricating. The brass parts are an extra $40

I can also sell bushes and plastic cups seperately if anyone is keen.

Cheers - Jason

Brass is good because it's self-lubricating....

although do not go for it if you own a e36 328. one of the guys at work tried and it made the shift longer.

I don't think thats right...I've fitted 3 of these to E36 328's and it did what its suppose to do. Maybe it had a short, short shifter in it already

Hello again! Ive had some more interest in short shifters so will be doing another order in the next few days. I will be ordering shift levers, plastic bearings, and brass gearbox knuckles.

I have one Z3 lever for $95 and the rest are currently at $115 but may come down. The plastic bearings (highly recommended) are $30 and the brass knuckles (even more highly recommended) are $35

Postage on the whole lot is $6 nationwide.

I also have a sweet write up if you wish to DIY the installation, or I will do it for a box.

PM or text 0210777792

Be quick, ordering on wednesday morning!!!

Edited by SIR E30

Could be keen. I got a some sort of ssk in mine but be good to feel what these are like compared to mine.

Just have to vouch for Jason, excellent guy to deal with, and the shifter itself feels as tight as a nun's snatch compared to the sloppy normal gate.

Definitely worth it!

How hard is the brass thing to put in with the gearbox in?