Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

The Sleeper Project

Thought i should get organised and start a project thread.

Heres a few pics of the car from when Ray had it:

post-2821-1247496792_thumb.jpg post-2821-1247496822_thumb.jpg

And a few of her in current state:

post-2821-1247496908_thumb.jpg post-2821-1247496921_thumb.jpg post-2821-1247496947_thumb.jpg

post-2821-1247496947_thumb.jpg post-2821-1247496956_thumb.jpg

Current setup includes:

Suspension: H&R Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Sway bars, Front Strut Brace

Engine: MapEcu2, Stainless Headers, Straight through twin pipes

Plans for the next few months:

5 lug conversion, s54 transplant, recaro sportster cs front seats, black suede headliner and rear tray, new knob.

Not sure what rims to run with the new setup but maybe some 17" style 5's

edit: updates

Edited by André3000

Looking good there.

Don't forget ol' antil33t when the engine+gbox needs a new home... (oh how dreams are free)

Can't wait to see how this gets along :D

Edited by antil33t

Just a thought - you could probably turbo it for less money and same/moar power, given you already have the ECU. The price of an S50 buys a nice set of pistons and rings, machine work and turbo bits. Maybe have a talk to "crunchy" - he helped design (in some way) the mapecu and is turboing an M20B25.

But then again, you might want S50 - can definitely understand that.

Opinion ---> don't go for the Sportster CS, try find something a bit more subtle (and/or period). Just my 2c. If you can handle the red stitching the black Recaro seats from 4 door Integra Type R (DB8R) are pretty awesome IMHO.

Edited by CamB

What an influx of rolling E30 projects we have! Love it.

Certainly one of the major reasons I picked doing a S50 or S54 (If I go back to WA ahaa) was because it enables the car to enter the BMW Open Class in the future. Otherwise it would be a Turbo M50 in the engine bay.

Have a good as read of this thread. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76315

There's not really too much you need eh. E34 M50 Oil Pan, pick up, and dipstick/tube probably being the most annoying to buy. I'm sure there are a few around though.

Suddenly e30 s50/54's projects seem like nothing special.

Go for an s62!

Thanks for that link Incary, just what i needed. Are you running einbach's and koni's too? Looks exactly like the set i ordered.

To CamB, iv always thought those seats look a bit naff, and i dnt want any part of my car honda :D. Im planning on tracking this car as much as possible so newer technology with 4 point harness compatability is what im after. To be perfectly honest im only after the s50, turbos on non turbo engines can never be as reliable as a NA.

To Antil33t, The engine needs a little tlc but it'll be priced appropriately. Id love to see the whole system go as a whole, it makes your stock 325i an entirely different animal :wub:

Haha if Antil33t doesnt want to take it i'l be 2nd on the list :P look at us already tryna get the parts we want..Whats wrong with the 325 engine anyway ?

You must have missed my build thread in this same Project forum ahaa, I'm running some very sweet Ground Control coilovers and full AKG bushings in 75D.

Linkzors:

Ground Control Kit, same kit as Jib and hybrid run too.

AKG Bushings, scroll down for the 75D Subframe, trailing arms and Diff mounts. These have made the greatest difference to my car for sure.

I couldn't fault these products at all.

Sway bars are next.

To CamB, iv always thought those seats look a bit naff, and i dnt want any part of my car honda :D . Im planning on tracking this car as much as possible so newer technology with 4 point harness compatability is what im after. To be perfectly honest im only after the s50, turbos on non turbo engines can never be as reliable as a NA. :wub:

Fair enough.

I'm not sure its the right attitude to Honda though - they are Recaro seats whether they come from a Honda or not, but I see the point on harnesses:

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=3020&region=2&L=2

Also worth noting - if Honda made the S50 it would be lighter, cheaper and possibly more powerful. I'd put an F20c (s2000 motor) in an E30 in a heartbeat if it was series legal.

(My previous car was a H22A (Prelude) powered EG Civic. It was awesome.)

Edited by CamB

X2 on the F20c would be perfect in a light E30 and would keep things nice and balanced. Shame they are 6-9k.

F20c would be awesome, ive gota mate putting one in a ae86 atm..They are very good engine but yer they have a price tag $$

F20c is unfortunately tall. Would probably have same sump problem as m20's.

Not to mention exhaust is in the way of steering just like an M20.

I'd still rock one. Hopefully soon (not in an E30).

P.S. Those DC2 Integra/Civic Type R seats are the same SR2's that come in M3 Sport Evos...

To Antil33t, The engine needs a little tlc but it'll be priced appropriately. Id love to see the whole system go as a whole, it makes your stock 325i an entirely different animal :wub:

I have a 320i :P I'd love to buy it... but chances are being a poor ass student that really shouldn't be modifying his car. though if it has problems. it'd be the sort of thing I could learn to rebuild myself... :/

Haha if Antil33t doesnt want to take it i'l be 2nd on the list :P look at us already tryna get the parts we want..Whats wrong with the 325 engine anyway ?

haha I'm poor, so chances are you're in luck :P

F20c is unfortunately tall. Would probably have same sump problem as m20's.

Not to mention exhaust is in the way of steering just like an M20.

Im shore i can make one fit lol. ;)

LOL, Sounds like it has been "vtec'd".

Edited by E30ONP

Im shore i can make one fit lol. ;)

Pretty sure it's easy to make it fit :rolleyes: It's only a four after all.

But making it fit well is problematic. Money and work needed to make it fit as well as this:

Posted Image

Either way, off topic. OP wants to keep it BMW.

Update: Have found a wrecked e46 m3, so s54 is now the engine of choice :D

Jealous. How much did the wreck set you back? S54's are about 5g USD with 6 speeds. Perfect engine.

Wow! And so it begins! Any idea how the wiring is going to go?

Guest Ari Gold

Update: Have found a wrecked e46 m3, so s54 is now the engine of choice :D

How are you going to get around the massive wiring problems?

You can use some S50B32 sensors on the S54 as a way around it and use the S50 bosch management, but its a bit of a hack job, no?