Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Best M5?

Best M5?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Take cost out of the equasion and just say you can have one, only one for free, what would you have?

I think I'm gonna go with the e39 followed close by the e60.

Edited by Kaz

You mean E60.

E60 for me, having owned an E60, even a lesser model, the tech in them is awesome little things that make it far far better than the E39, and thats before you add a 500bhp V10 to the mix :wub:

They are all good though, shame we didnt get the 3.8 M5 here.

I'm torn between E34 and E39, couldnt decide, ended up putting the E39 for V8 goodness.

E60, probably the most comfortable, it's automatic(ish) and I could live with it very easily.

I Love them all, but E60 is probably the one I'd pick if cost was no option.

Facelift E39 M5 for me. Don't care about tech. Do care about a dirty V8 that isn't 100hp/L and sounds like a dirty V8 without ugliness usually associated with dirty V8's.

Facelift E39 M5 for me. Don't care about tech. Do care about a dirty V8 that isn't 100hp/L and sounds like a dirty V8 without ugliness usually associated with dirty V8's.

+1

e60 for me, cos it's sleek and sexy.

e34 m5? Pfft. e34 540is sh*ts on it!

Edited by MS BM

Say that to a 3.8l owner and he'd put you in your place :)

You mean E60.

E60 for me, having owned an E60, even a lesser model, the tech in them is awesome little things that make it far far better than the E39, and thats before you add a 500bhp V10 to the mix :wub:

They are all good though, shame we didnt get the 3.8 M5 here.

Hey there, my understanding is that there was one 1992 3.8 that did arrive new in NZ, but it was a 5-speed.

I have been told it is blue, lives in Wellington has around 200kms on the clock.

For me, the E34 M5 is the ultimate - it has 3 pedals, is easy to drive, handles beautifully, and was the 1st truly balanced, powerful sedan with almost super-car performance. Rare too- only 800 odd in RHD (with 3.6 and 3.8), hand-built, and the ultimate Q-car. The E39 does the same and more, but in IMO, is not as unique. The E28 is a superb car, but today looks a tad boxy and looks old compared to the E34, even if there were only 187 built in RHD.

The E60 is sensational, but for me personally, the new ///M's have lost the x-factor slightly. Superb yes, but not as unique as their pre-decessors.

E39 (just) for me. Closely followed by E60. Reacon they look pretty staunch - particually Alpina as below

post-1215-1258792338.jpg

not.....540 may be slightly easier to drive but the M5 has slightly more power(230 kw)i think,and the signature of the guy who built it under the rear bumper

Haven owned a e39 540 + driven ane39 M5 they are a great machines but they are nothing in comparison to the e60. The sound in the cabin of the V10 + the ride comfort is so smooth.

When you start to feel bored, you touch the M button on the steering wheel and everything changes and the steroids kick in. The heads up display is the best toy in the car.

If you see me at a track day, just ask for a ride and you will understand the feeling. It is the first car I have owned that puts a smile on my face every time I jump out and can't wait till the next time I jump in. Looking forward to the next model though to see what has improved ....

not.....540 may be slightly easier to drive but the M5 has slightly more power(230 kw)i think,and the signature of the guy who built it under the rear bumper

Yeah, M5 has 250 kw, 540 has 210, no contest.

The e60 M5 really does it for me. The V10 is jaw-dropping. It is a masterpiece.

BUT, The SMG gearbox is SUCK!! If the e60 M5 came into NZ with the 6 speed manual instead of the 7 speed SMG - perfect car.

The sound of a V10 at 8300rpm makes every V8 run for cover...and so they should.

Just a note (from experience). If you drive a e60 M5 and press the M button on the steering wheel. Make SURE you are awake, alert and ready. Stuff happens quickly and it is one brutal machine!!!

i've driven them all, but the E34 and by far the most fun i had was in a black E39. soo comfortable yet not to technical like the E60.

Edit: havn't driven the E34.

Edited by brockie123

Have been fortunate enough to have rides in all version of the M5 and have driven a few E34's.

But for me it's e39 ALLLL the way.

The perfect balance between luxury and "rawness".

Edited by crazyarab