Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Bmw scanner 1.4

INPA GT1 ProgManSSS and other EDIABAS tools work on e36's. even e30's with e36 motors :D

Just answered my question in my email lol. How intricate is the Hex coding?

Nightmare for our Euro's

Just answered my question in my email lol. How intricate is the Hex coding?

Nightmare for our Euro's

Not too bad .. here is the OBDII readouts .. just need to reverse engineer the BMW DBUS protocol to write some conversion eqautions and write a converter to make it happen.

PID 04 Calculated load value %

Engine Load%=A*100/255

PID 05 Coolant temp. deg C

Temperature in Degrees Centigrade=A-40

PID 06 Short term fuel % trim Bank 1

The fuel trim is a value from -100% (lean) to +99.22% (rich)

Fuel Trim% = .7812 * ( A-128 )

PID 07 Long term fuel % trim Bank 1

Similar to PID 6

PID 08 Short term fuel % trim Bank 2

Similar to PID 6

PID 09 Long term fuel % trim Bank 2

Similar to PID 6

PID 0A Fuel pres. kPa

This reports the Fuel pressure in units of kPa Gauge.

Fuel Pressure (kPaG) = 3 * A

PID 0B Intake man. pres. kPa

Intake Manifold Pressure (kPa Absolute) = A

PID 0C Engine RPM

This is a two byte value; Data A is the most significant byte, and Data B is the lower byte.

RPM = .25 * ( A*256 + B )

PID 0D Vehicle speed km/hr

Speed (Km/Hr) = A

PID 0E Timing adv. deg

Timing advance referenced to #1 cylinder. This doesn't include mechanical advance.

Advance (Degrees) = (.5 * A) - 64

PID 0F Intake air temp deg C

Temperature in Degrees Centigrade=A-40

PID 10 Maf air flow gm/sec

This is a two byte value, and A is the most significant byte.

MAF air flow (gm/sec) = .01 * ( (256 * A ) + B )

PID 11 Absolute Throttle sensor position %

Throttle position (%) = .3922 * A

PID 12 Sec. air status

If this PID is supported, only one bit will be set in Data A. All remaining bits will be 0.

Bit 0 Upstream of first Catalytic convertor.

Bit 1 Downstream of first Catalytic convertor inlet.

Bit 2 Atmosphere/off

Bits 3-7 are reserved and should be zero.

PID 13 Oxygen sensor locations bank/sensor

This PID reports the oxygen sensors located in the vehicle. PID 29 also does this for some vehicles. One byte is returned and each of the 8 bits define a location where an oxygen sensor is present. A sensor is present at a particular location if a bit is set to one. Note that more than one bit can be set because many vehicles have more than one oxygen sensor. The definitions for sensor locations for each bit are as follows:

BIT 0 - Bank 1 - Sensor 1

BIT 1 - Bank 1- Sensor 2

BIT 2 - Bank 1- Sensor 3

BIT 3 - Bank 1- Sensor 4

BIT 4 - Bank 2- Sensor 1

BIT 5 - Bank 2- Sensor 2

BIT 6 - Bank 2- Sensor 3

BIT 7 - Bank 2- Sensor 4

PID 14 Oxy. sensor voltage bank1 sensor1

This PID returns the Oxygen sensor voltage for the sensor located in Bank 1, Sensor 1. There are 7 other PIDs which are similar, but for other locations. In each case, Two bytes are returned. Data A represents the sensor voltage (defined below), and Data B is the short term fuel trim associated with the sensor, or Hex FF in the case where the sensor is not used in the calculation.

Oxygen Sensor Voltage = .005 * A

Short Term Fuel Trim% = .7812 * ( B-128 )

PID 15 Oxy. sensor voltage bank1 sensor2

Defined similar to PID 14

PID 16 Oxy. sensor voltage bank1 sensor3

PID 17 Oxy. sensor voltage bank1 sensor4

PID 18 Oxy. sensor voltage bank2 sensor1

PID 19 Oxy. sensor voltage bank2 sensor2

PID 1A Oxy. sensor voltage bank2 sensor3

PID 1B Oxy. sensor voltage bank2 sensor4

PID 1C Design OBD requirements

This PID returns information to determine which OBD requirements the vehicle was designed to meet. The value of Data A is defined as follows:

01 - OBD II (California ARB)

02 - OBD (Federal EPA)

03 - OBD and OBD II

04 - OBD 1

05 - Not intended to meet any OBD requirements.

06 - EOBD (Europe)

PID 1D Alternate Oxy sensor locations

This PID is an alternative to PID 13. Please refer PID 13 for details. The only difference is that PID 1D defines the locations differently and they are as follows:

BIT 0 - Bank 1- Sensor 1

BIT 1 - Bank 1- Sensor 2

BIT 2 - Bank 2- Sensor 1

BIT 3 - Bank 2- Sensor 2

BIT 4 - Bank 3- Sensor 1

BIT 5 - Bank 3- Sensor 2

BIT 6 - Bank 4- Sensor 1

BIT 7 - Bank 4- Sensor 2

PID 1E Auxilliary input status

Returns one byte, Data A. Bit 0 Defines the status of the Power Take Off (PTO). If the bit is set to a one, the PTO is active. PID 1F Reserved

PID 20 Determine J2190 PIDs supported

This is very similar to PID 00, but it indicates PID supported from PID 21 to 40 Hex. These PIDs are defined in SAE J2190, and are reserved for future use.

.........Any of you guys from chch that would like a scan done free of charge of course would be more than welcome to contact me to have it done as long as its ODB2 you would be good to go. Can provide you a full log to take away with you as well

Note : this is just a few pages you can go in to there are lots and lots of more..........

Hi Jason,

I have just ordered one of these from dealextreme (listed in one of the reply posts). It will take a couple of weeks to show up I suspect, and while I am patient, if you are anywhere on the western side of Christchurch I would be interested in seeing it in action and even changing a couple of settings on my E39.

We should probably move this off list or maybe I can give you a call.

If/When mine shows up I will report on it being the same as your one or not.

Cheers to all on the list

Dave

I bought one of these of deal extreme, it's how I enabled the 'alarm' features of the car. Takes a couple of weeks to arrive and is easy enough to use. Some of those shadow errors are pesky, no real description of what they are, or whether or not they're a problem. Also tried hunting through TIS for them and it comes up with pretty much nothing.

Make sure you ONLY use the software that comes with it. I've read on the net about newer version's purposely bricking clones such as this.

It's also great for changing chimes to buzzers, and buzzers to chimes. If that's your kind of thing.

Oh, and it's a little annoying to learn how to use.

Hi Jason,

I have just ordered one of these from dealextreme (listed in one of the reply posts). It will take a couple of weeks to show up I suspect, and while I am patient, if you are anywhere on the western side of Christchurch I would be interested in seeing it in action and even changing a couple of settings on my E39.

We should probably move this off list or maybe I can give you a call.

If/When mine shows up I will report on it being the same as your one or not.

Cheers to all on the list

Dave

pm sent

i also ordered one last week to change a few settings, as well as a obd-serial cable for EasyDIS in the hope that i can use DIS for more descriptive fault codes.

Whats the experience of using these third party devices to code features?

I've heard of the Carsoft 6.5 clones killing the Instrument clusters when programming adaptive locking etc.

The unit from Dealextreme just arived.

Will test it when i get home.

Hopefully it doesnt brick anything, i dont plan to do anything major with it.

Mine arrived from Dealextreme yesterday (they must wonder whats going on in KiwiLand)

Tried it out last night and it seems to work fine. Tried to install it on my work laptop today, but because I have previously had the official software on it, it would not play ball. Probably have to delete something in the registry, but have not figured out what yet.

I suspect you could do some damage with this software if you did not know what your doing.

I wanted to set up autolocking doors at a certain speed but am not sure if it can be done or what module does it.

Mine arrived from Dealextreme yesterday (they must wonder whats going on in KiwiLand)

Tried it out last night and it seems to work fine. Tried to install it on my work laptop today, but because I have previously had the official software on it, it would not play ball. Probably have to delete something in the registry, but have not figured out what yet.

I suspect you could do some damage with this software if you did not know what your doing.

I wanted to set up autolocking doors at a certain speed but am not sure if it can be done or what module does it.

It can be done, it's an option. Think you can even select the speed.

All seems to work fine for me.

I think that option is under ZKE

Granted there are a few buttons in there that look like they should be colored red, i will only be clicking the ones that look safe. eg. Read Errors.

Changed one setting which was Audible Tone when arming alarm. That worked fine.

Will try it out on the 7 Series with OBD-2 -> Round plug adapter to see if it can read any errors.

Edited by Matt45

I had mine turn up as well. I agree with the previous post, definitely an in-depth tool with the potential to do damage.

Just remember guys when coding settings in. Make sure your battery voltage is above 12.20 volts (atleast) The Kline fails under 11.5volts and you _will_ cause corruption in your respective module configs.

I have been doing some read-only real time testing relating to a project im working on at the point in which packets of data start to degradate and 11.5volts is when failures start to happen.

Just remember guys when coding settings in. Make sure your battery voltage is above 12.20 volts (atleast) The Kline fails under 11.5volts and you _will_ cause corruption in your respective module configs.

I have been doing some read-only real time testing relating to a project im working on at the point in which packets of data start to degradate and 11.5volts is when failures start to happen.

To keep the voltage at 12.20V or above what's the easiest method ( have the battery fully charged or keep the engine running)

That will do it, BMW does recommend that the engine is off for the programming of some modules.

Another way is using another car with good qaulity jumper cables and your host car is set to ignition on/engine off. MAke sure aircon if off for both vehicles or get a decent battery jump pack.

Battery trickle chargers aren't design to deliver enough current to run modules real time.

That will do it, BMW does recommend that the engine is off for the programming of some modules.

Another way is using another car with good qaulity jumper cables and your host car is set to ignition on/engine off. MAke sure aircon if off for both vehicles or get a decent battery jump pack.

Battery trickle chargers aren't design to deliver enough current to run modules real time.

Thanks for that..

I'll try and get my battery fully charged and will look at having a another car at the time of coding. And how can i make sure i've got the right Voltage. Can it be done using the diagnostic module.

Cheers..

I would expect the software will pull battery voltage out of the DS2 protocol string.

edit: .. hmmm doesn't look like it does.

if your battery is charged from driving or battery charger you should have 12.2+volts .. if you have dodgy battery (fails after a few starts etc) dont attempt coding.

Or, use jumper cables to get volts up to 13.5-14

My battery charger will charge at 4 amps, this should be enough?

Mine should arrive in a few days, can't wait to start tinker a bit.

just got one of these. But having problems installing it on my laptop. Running Windows 7 64bit and everytime I try and install the drivers, it says it cannot find any. Directed it to the drivers folder but still no luck? Anyone advice?

cool just ran it on virtual box and found quite a lot of errors.. good tool tho.

I am not sure whether I have missed it or not but will it work with OBD1 M3 95 computer in particular? Cheers.

I am not sure whether I have missed it or not but will it work with OBD1 M3 95 computer in particular? Cheers.

On its own unfortunitly not as it uses the 16 pint OBDII plug frame work and speaks BMW DS2. You will need the BMW 20 pin 'round' plug connector. Also im not sure it supports your Bosch M3.3 ECU because of this. This software is more suited to cars with 16pin sqaure plugs and built 2000 onwards.

On its own unfortunitly not as it uses the 16 pint OBDII plug frame work and speaks BMW DS2. You will need the BMW 20 pin 'round' plug connector. Also im not sure it supports your Bosch M3.3 ECU because of this. This software is more suited to cars with 16pin sqaure plugs and built 2000 onwards.

Thats a shame. Does anyone know a good software scanner for M3 95 its a Euro version? Thanks