Sign in to follow this  
Mador

1990 E34 M20 to M50 Turbo conversion

Got stuck into it again this morning for an hour and a half, Got the M50 in using the M20 RH Engine mount, bolts perfectly and the M50 is aligned with the Getrag 240 Just perfectly,

Havent bolted it to the box yet as I need to shave some meat off the back of the flywheel, will reface it aswell while im there, why not? lol

Havent run into any problems and all the hoses lead to the same spots so I think this car will be up and running in no time, Just need to get onto Turbo gears now and exhaust

See ebay has some lovely topmount manifolds hmmmm :ph34r:

Edit* Finally figured out how to make these pictures 800x600, going to grind off that battery box mount too and run it into the boot, make more room for that top mounted turbo

95% New exedy clutch kit still meaty as dont know how long it will last though...

post-5187-1333245203.jpg

post-5187-1333245206.jpg

post-5187-1333245208.jpg

post-5187-1333245212.jpg

post-5187-1333245215.jpg

post-5187-1333245218.jpg

post-5187-1333245226.jpg

post-5187-1333245253.jpg

post-5187-1333245259.jpg

post-5187-1333245267.jpg

post-5187-1333245276.jpg

post-5187-1333245293.jpg

post-5187-1333245303.jpg

post-5187-1333245307.jpg

post-5187-1333245319.jpg

Edited by Mador 525i

Keep up the good work. Hope your clutch kit holds

You might want to reconsider using an ebay manifold. If you look through ben's posts he mentioned that they aren't a good fit. You'll also want to reinforce them to have any hope of it not cracking.

Have you decided on what sort of power you want from this

Edited by bbs

Thanks BBS, Yeah I do too... But I dont think it will, there is that $1400 clutch kit for an S5* on trademe that might hold boost?

Yeah well I was going to get it and work with it, maybe grind some bits off or tig the flanges on at different angles, ive got PLENTY of room for the turbo its not even funny, and I have made alot of room for the downpipe by standing the engine up

If you've got access to a tig you should definately be making one yourself. Flip some manifolds and join them together if you don't want to go all out.

Looks like the ebay manifolds might work on the E34

The main problem with them on E36 was the strut tower getting in the way

but seems like E34 towers are much further back.

Only other problem I found was the collector is to close to the head

but thats an easy fix, just cut it off and remount it on an angle

away from the head.

Yeah we got 3 full time welding bays and a robotic welder at work lol mig tig arc gas, I am lazy and wanted to buy the Ebay version then play with it, strengthen with some braces welded on and arrange the flanges to mount it perfect and get the right angle on the turbo so I can tilt it back and hopefully have the intake coming through the bonnet slightly so you can see the topside of the turbo through a square cut out of the bonnet.

If that makes sense :S

Edit* Yeah I do kinda wanna go all out, you can pick up M50 engines cheap and with the right bolt ons and already got a megasquirt id just keep the MS loom unbolt turbo gear crane out the M50 and crane in a new one ready to test a different tune or try something safer if it blows - was thinking of getting a 2nd M50 to build with forged internals while I use the first that is in there now to get the thing running with exhaust welded up and plumbing all done

See what happens keep tuned anyway will post more updates

Edited by Mador 525i

Shaved the flywheel today, fits perfect, took 4.5mm off, bit excessive but will see how it goes

post-5187-1333441311.jpg

post-5187-1333441319.jpg

Yeah we got 3 full time welding bays and a robotic welder at work lol mig tig arc gas

What sort of robotic welder?

i made my own flywheel getting it down to 5kg and even with the big cams and same car as yours i didnt losse a lot of down low pull but i would suggest getting your rebalanced with the pressure plate.

What sort of robotic welder?

Almega AX-V6L

I dont have anything to do with it though I work the other departments but mates with the Operator which is a bonus

i made my own flywheel getting it down to 5kg and even with the big cams and same car as yours i didnt losse a lot of down low pull but i would suggest getting your rebalanced with the pressure plate.

Definately going to get it balanced... wouldnt want that thing coming off or blowing to bits

And your builds Premo EXTREMO of course yours will pull hard!

Is making the M50 loom mate to Chassis loom as easy as changing the plug to the M20 plug?

Definately going to get it balanced... wouldnt want that thing coming off or blowing to bits

And your builds Premo EXTREMO of course yours will pull hard!

im a big fan of diy builds so if i can be of help just ask, with the ecu thing and what to run it can be at times easier to go aftermarket and there's been some cheap ones on trademe of late which would make it a ton easier to tune when you strap the turbo on.

Ive got a megasquirt sitting on the desk next to me atm, was planning to use that, Im a DIY extremist lol with the right information ANYONE can do almost anything IMO, thanks Crunchy, will definitely PM you if I run into issues

Ive got a megasquirt sitting on the desk next to me atm, was planning to use that, Im a DIY extremist lol with the right information ANYONE can do almost anything IMO, thanks Crunchy, will definitely PM you if I run into issues

a lot of bmw guys have used them and had success and if its the right price then go for it just make sure the unit works ok before wiring it in theres a guy on trademe that sells them maybe worth talking to when the time comes

a lot of bmw guys have used them and had success and if its the right price then go for it just make sure the unit works ok before wiring it in theres a guy on trademe that sells them maybe worth talking to when the time comes

Yeah I got in contact with the TradeMe Megasquirt man, Hes rigged up M50 MS's before and seems to know what hes doing and has base maps for them which is a huge start

No progress as of late, no power outside and very cold in the snow at all that crap that goes on in this funny City lol, Will get back into it in Spring no doubt - Till then! Have had a few offers from people wanting to buy it all though lol!