Sign in to follow this  
halkelorno

Run Flat Tyres

Hi to all.

I am interested in response and experiences from users of run flat tires. I have seen many comments overseas on them and the fact that many European manufactures have used them for at least a couple of years. I try to cut through all the BS etc to figure out if it is only a manufacturers way to save money by not having to supply a spare +jack + wheel brace , or for NZ conditions and roads a good standard tyre ie Unidirectional or Standard is more worth while. I look forward to your replies.

The only experience I have had was a 120i with 16" Continental runflats. Tracked really well not too harsh a ride with the runflats, then when replaced with conventional tyres it felt like it wandered a bit more on the road.

Gave me an awful ride on my M5. I was told they often can't be repaired if they puncture, and cost heaps more. I was struggling to see any benefit, other than being able to continue to drive slowly rather than stop and change the tyre if you get a puncture.

you should do some research of your own too,but i will tell you what i have learned.I have a 120d which has the std 205 55 16 tyres,and they are run flats.When i got it it had two bridgestone (turanza?) and two continentals...sorry cant remember exact type.They were quite harsh riding and fairly noisy on anything but the smooth hotmix.This is is comparison to 235 45 17 on my old e34.On the smooth roads though they were very nice,and their stiffness makes for good handling and feedback.I had to replace two right on xmas time(2 yrs ago)I couldnt get bridgestones or contis.I was offered Hankooks,i passed.I eventually found a pair of pirellis,p7s and they were $400 each.They seemed better riding though .I have just replaced the contis so am now on 4 pirellis.The second pair were just over 300 each from the same place.They are definetly better riding than the contis which are better riding than the bridgestones.I can t comment on wear yet.The original pair seem fine.

Edited by kiwi535

Gave me an awful ride on my M5. I was told they often can't be repaired if they puncture, and cost heaps more. I was struggling to see any benefit, other than being able to continue to drive slowly rather than stop and change the tyre if you get a puncture.

No longer rings true ...

I have a Mini Countryman and the wife with a Mini JCW both on run flats. I also have 2 brothers that use runflats on their 3 series for more than 5 years now.

Run flats are in its 3rd generation now and I can honestly say that these latest generation of runflats are as good if indiscernible from standard road tyres in both ride quality, noise, grip and overall performance. (the first generation run flats were rubbish I agree ..)

Some makes are a little noisier than others (I've run Dunlop RFT, Bridgeston RFT and Pirelli RFT) - I can tell you for a fact that the Pirelli is years ahead in the RFT technology and is by far the best RFT I've ever used on any car.

Run flats can be repaired just like a normal road tyre (I know because I've had two different brands repaired for punctures (Dunlop and Pirelli) - the rules for repair are exactly the same as standard road tyres.

I have also experienced the unfortunate situation of getting a puncture and having the tyre go completely flat and the wife not knowing it and kept driving on it for far too long, thus destroying the inner support sidewall resulting in a non repairable tyre.

The tyres are designed to stop a blow out or a delamination from sudden deflation - it will allow you to drive for up to 100km with no air ... but after that, no one knows.

I personally think they are a great introduction to new cars and personally don't find them anymore expensive than high performance tyres (and I've replaced 3 sets already).

They are however a bit rubbish on the race track ..

Edited by M3_Power

Had - Potenza RFT all round.

Changed to - Conti non RFT all round + emergency seal kit.

MUCH quieter, more comfortable and IMO grippy. I'm not a race car driver so wouldn't necessarily listen to my opinion on performance but im happy with the noise reduction and comfort increase alone.

Having said this the ones that were on there were rather worn (i did about 10k on them).

225/40/18

255/35/18

^^ You don't have to say that twice. :P

I still on the original set of Bridgestone RE50a (225 front, 255 rear, 18") run-flats that came with the car, so I can't compare to other tyres. But they're very grippy wet or dry, noise is ok. However, this car has normal suspension but rides about the same as my old e46 on M-sport suspension with 17", on this regard you could say is harsher riding.

I asked for a quote and the price wasn't that bad, so I am happy.

Have read some good reviews on Pirelli RFT, anyone tried those?

i went through a few run flats on my 335i over the 3 years I had it. Bridgestones sucked badly. The best allrounders turned out to be Continental RFTs.

Once you get into a car without RFTs, you do notice less noise and a smoother ride - not such a wide gap with the latest gen RFTs.

When it comes to the M3s, BMW supply normal tyres and a tyre re-inflation kit in the boot. I guess it's because the phenomenal Michelin Super Sports & Pilot Sport 2s don't come in RFT maybe?

Ooops ...

Yep .. Pirelli RFT are the best there is ... period.

i went through a few run flats on my 335i over the 3 years I had it. Bridgestones sucked badly. The best allrounders turned out to be Continental RFTs.

I agree that RFT just aren't as good as standard high performance tyres - but hell they are a heck of a lot better now than when they first came out, the preformance is almost as good I would say (both wet and dry).

Give the Pirelli P Zero RFT a try - you'll be amazed!! I have them on the Mini JCW and my brothers had the Continentals on his 3 series and he thought they were good until he put a set of Pirelli P Zero RTFs on - it was like buying a new car.

Not tooting Pirelli's trumpets either ... as I think they are ruining F1 at the moment with their bread crumb tyres.

Ooops ...

Yep .. Pirelli RFT are the best there is ... period.

I agree that RFT just aren't as good as standard high performance tyres - but hell they are a heck of a lot better now than when they first came out, the preformance is almost as good I would say (both wet and dry).

Give the Pirelli P Zero RFT a try - you'll be amazed!! I have them on the Mini JCW and my brothers had the Continentals on his 3 series and he thought they were good until he put a set of Pirelli P Zero RTFs on - it was like buying a new car.

Not tooting Pirelli's trumpets either ... as I think they are ruining F1 at the moment with their bread crumb tyres.

I think Felipe Massa is looking for some Pirelli Run Flats...

I still on the original set of Bridgestone RE50a (225 front, 255 rear, 18") run-flats that came with the car, so I can't compare to other tyres. But they're very grippy wet or dry, noise is ok. However, this car has normal suspension but rides about the same as my old e46 on M-sport suspension with 17", on this regard you could say is harsher riding.

I asked for a quote and the price wasn't that bad, so I am happy.

not comparable tyre sizes but in my experience Pirellis are better in comfort and noise than either contis or bridgestones see above

Had - Potenza RFT all round.

Changed to - Conti non RFT all round + emergency seal kit.

MUCH quieter, more comfortable and IMO grippy. I'm not a race car driver so wouldn't necessarily listen to my opinion on performance but im happy with the noise reduction and comfort increase alone.

Having said this the ones that were on there were rather worn (i did about 10k on them).

225/40/18

255/35/18

Interesting to hear that you changed to Continental non run flats. I was told by a Tyre Co , that if I changed to non run flats then I would not get a warrant of Fitness. I said to the guy " what if I bought an emergency spare 17" and occasionaly put that in the boot ........... No answer, no reply. Is this data about WOF fact or just BS,

By the way what are the specs on your Contis tyres.

Interesting to hear that you changed to Continental non run flats. I was told by a Tyre Co , that if I changed to non run flats then I would not get a warrant of Fitness. I said to the guy " what if I bought an emergency spare 17" and occasionaly put that in the boot ........... No answer, no reply. Is this data about WOF fact or just BS,

By the way what are the specs on your Contis tyres.

Its bullshit. My E90 is on std tyres & there is no space for a spare. No issues at WoF time.

Run Flat tyres are good for people who don't know how to change a tyre or carry a spare. Most late model bmws, lexus audi etc have tyre pressure sensors and rft built into the onboard monitors which sense when a tyre loses pressure and alerts the driver also some bmw have specific tyres made to suit straight out of the bridgestone catalog. A run flat tyre can be driven at 80km for up to 80km and once used in run flat mode shouldn't be reinflated and used again clearly says so on the tyre so therefore a repair can be done but shouldn't. As with any tyre that is driven with little to no air its clearly noticeable when the tyre is removed that sidewall damage and rubber is missing usually found inside the tyre. sidewall damage cannot be repaired as it is illegal. One thing i have noticed is the sidewall is very thick and the compound of the rft tyres is much harder than an ordinary tyre and also more difficult to fit to a rim which would be why road noise will generally be louder but bang for buck you get the extra rubber for the extra money. (80ks on a 18inch tyre could be the difference between risking a dodgy space saver or paying through the nose in a small country town for a spare or making it back to a bigger centre)

I didn't think the M cars had run flat tyres. My e39 M5 has an "M Mobility Kit" in the boot. Not sure about the newer models however.