Sign in to follow this  
allan

Bright rear light

Turned the park lights too on in the Ti and the right rear tail light appears to have the brake light working as well as the park light. Have checked the wires in the tail light connector and in the light switch they appear to be in their correct location can anyone help out.

post-1581-1370145613.jpg

post-1581-1370145628.jpg

Edited by allan

RH drive compacts have one fog light.. R/H side and one reverse light L/H side... check your fog light switch

Ok, Checked the rear fog light and it was not functioning so I pulled the light switch out and checked the wires all in the correct place according to the WDS wiring diagram. Next I removed the control face plate from the light module and swapped the module for another one I had and installed it. Turned both the ignition and park lights on, the warning light on the cluster has gone and the rear fog light works. But the brake light bulbs are glowing also when the parks light are on. So I depress the brake pedal and the brake lights glow full on as they should do, thought it could be a faulty brake switch tried another one no luck still the same also tried a larger earth. To add insult to injury this morning when I started the car their is now a washer bottle warning light and an airbag light on.The bottle is full of fluid and the float in the front bottle seems to go up and down. Does the rear bottle have the same as I have not checked that out yet? the air bag light comes on when you turn the key on, start the engine then goes out for a few seconds then comes back on. Beginning to think scan time or does anyone have some helpful suggestions.

Check you have a good battery, and that the battery connections are sound and clean.

Check the earth cable where it connects to the car

Disconnect the battery, wait 10min, then reconnect (to reset the whole vehicle and reboot all modules)

I dunno anything speficificfic about E46 Compacts, but on an E39, you could potentially have an incorrectly coded module turning the brakes on dim as tail lights, or a bad earth feeding current back through circuits and tricking the LCM into thinking things aren't working the way it should.

If the tail lights are blown, lots of BMW's will light up the brakes at half brighness to compensate. Same with front, the indicators glow at half.

Thanks guy's will check those out and let you know the out come.

Ok, found the negative terminal was only twist on tight.

Battery did not show green state of charge.

Terminal connections clean and tight

Had battery checked out and found it has 11 06 stamped on post if so it's coming up seven years old.

Upon load testing on the third time it did not recover above 9 volts

So got it re- charged and it then checked out ok but I know I'm up for a new battery shortly.

Installed the battery and secured the terminals cranked it up and still have a washer bottle light and air bag light showing bugger , suggestion please or is it time for a scan.

TIP do not close the tail gate/ hatch on a Ti with the battery disconnected.