Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Speeding ticket - speed incorrect

A few weeks back I got pulled over speeding up to 100km/h slightly too early coming out of the 70 zone after Pirongia (I think it was Pirongia) on my way to the mountain.

The cop showed me her radar reading 92, and I took my ticket and off I went. Now I'm just about to pay the fine online but I've noticed that the ticket says 94km/h not the 92 which her radar was displaying when she showed it to me.

I just wanted to check if anyone knows what the brackets of price increase are - the fine is $170 for being 24km/h over the limit and I thought I might as well check before I paid if it'd be the same for being 22km/h over.

It's probably the same but worth checking!

Not keen to hear any lectures about speeding - it was a ridiculous situation where I was literally about 100m before the 100 sign, on a straight road, at 6:30am with no-one around (except for the sneaky policewoman!) - I'm not trying to get out of the fine, just wanting to make sure I only pay whats "fair".

Edited by sascha

I think its increments of 5kph, so will be the same.

Bad luck man. I copped on a few weeks back going 61 in a "60" zone...

This, I'd debate further if it was me - even speed cameras have a higher tolerance. Ticket writer was either being extremely 'queer' in my opinion, or theres bit more to the story maybe...........??

That seems extremely unreasonable. Unless you were in a school zone where's there's no speed tolerance, but then it should of been 50km zone I would of thought...

it's the same $ and points. there should be more information on the back of the ticket (or there used to be). Pay up. move on.

Sweet, thought as much. Thanks guys

Pay up. move on.

Thanks for those wise words Darren.

You're taking the piss right?

What I'd be doing is.... Go online to the Police website and do the following:

Firstly mention specifically that you saw 92km on the radar - and note the difference in the ticket.

Secondly, request full disclosure of the circumstances of the alleged offence - request specifically calibration of all the units used to measure your speed.

You'll get a rather large stack of paper delivered to the address you provide about the radar gun they used, etc... and an explanation as to the difference between the ticket and the radar speed.

Here's some background:

http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2003/speedcamera_cu4_vehicle.pdf

http://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2003/speedcamera_cu6_static.pdf

Edited by Surge

What I'd be doing is.... Go online to the Police website and do the following:

Firstly mention specifically that you saw 92km on the radar - and note the difference in the ticket.

Secondly, request full disclosure of the circumstances of the alleged offence - request specifically calibration of all the units used to measure your speed.

You'll get a rather large stack of paper delivered to the address you provide about the radar gun they used, etc... and an explanation as to the difference between the ticket and the radar speed.

Personally, I agree with Darren, & for myself, I find this sorta stuff more brain-damage than what its worth.......think of it as you're buying their donuts for a couple of mornings, sometimes you've got to 'pay to play', & just move on - theres far worse stuff to stress over...... :)

Personally, I agree with Darren, & for myself, I find this sorta stuff more brain-damage than what its worth.......think of it as you're buying their donuts for a couple of mornings, sometimes you've got to 'pay to play', & just move on - theres far worse stuff to stress over...... :)

It's worth flicking them a 2 min e-mail to simply get an explanation as to the discrepancy however...

You're taking the piss right?

Nah mate, I'll upload a photo of it if I can still find the ticket later. No school zone...