Sign in to follow this  
nick496

Crashed my E30- Options

Hey Guys

Had a bit of an accident this week in the E30, frontal collision with a street light on the way home.

Just got her back 2 weeks ago from the panel and paint

Before:

post-15698-0-96945700-1381553078.jpg

Not looking too good now though, this is right after with the bonnet off

After

post-15698-0-24613500-1381553154.jpg

With Everything off, the chassis has buckled back by an inch or two

post-15698-0-73356900-1381554309_thumb.j

Everything still runs, it's an M40 with manual box, just the radiator has been pushed back.

Broken bits are:

-Valance

-Bumper

-Bonnet

-Front of chassis

Basically I feel I have 3 options:

1: Fix her up as is

-Will need to be either be straightened, or a new front welded on

-Cost of new valance, bonnet, paint

2: Buy another 'cheap' e30 and just swap all the bits in

-Probably a 320 auto, so engine swap

-Also have all sorts of goodies, like leather recaros, map light, E36 switch conversion.

3: Buy an 'ideal' e30, so M50 swap

-Part out my current one

What do you guys reckon is the best option financially? Or open to other suggestions

I know that my shell has very little rust (mostly just surface), so the rest of it is fine.

I have always planned on having an E30, so would be looking for a keeper.

More pictures linked below

Edited by nick496

id fix it doesn't look too bad especially if you can do a majority of it yourself and as far as paint goes if your really on a budget buy a valance and bonnet already in your color

Yes fix/get it fixed. Certainly not a major repair. the slam rail may even pull straight, otherwise pretty straight forward to replace

looks pretty easy. i have repaired worse. unfortunately the front doesnt bolt on and off on an E30 so has to be done in place. go easy on it!

or put a new front cut on, that would be the correct way to do it.

Another tip, you can pick up whole E30s for $500 or even less, which is what a wrecker will probably charge for all the bits you need, especially bumpers they arent too cheap. and you get to keep or sell the rest of the car

Well theres a few options,

You could get a front cut and just cut the damage out and weld new front in,

Or some panel shops have a car-o-liner that can put 6tonnes of pulling force and can get it pulled out and then just need to get bumper and etc.

Well theres a few options,

You could get a front cut and just cut the damage out and weld new front in,

Or some panel shops have a car-o-liner that can put 6tonnes of pulling force and can get it pulled out and then just need to get bumper and etc.

:) Fix the girl up - then ya have a learning experience on avoiding lamp-posts that leap out at ya too........plus its probably the cheapest & best option. Also leaves you with something that's already 'known' to ya too, quirkes & all.....

Very slight curve, in the wet, and chopped into third. Think the sudden change in traction gripped one way more than the other, so off the road I went.

I'm not too handy with the welder, so there are costs involved in getting someone to do that for me, plus probably the repair cert.

Starting to think it's not really the most economical option to cut and weld for me, personally. If I knew a guy, I'd probably go for it though.