Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

New engine build - Thoughts?

None of you know whats involved at all. The inspection of the vehicle for a cert can take half an hour - 2 hours. The written report and documentation for the half hour- 2 hour inspection can take at least 1-2 hours to complete , edit and process.

This, plus the govt fee for the cert plate is around 400 from memory!

This, plus the govt fee for the cert plate is around 400 from memory!

No it's not.

• Like 3

There's some very useful info on certing on the LVVTA web-site, just google it.

I would suggest you have a good read of what is needed for what modifications before deciding on the engine swap. It could make a big difference in terms of the cost of the build (not just for the cert process - but what you may need to get the cert) and change your decision.

so to the original poster of the original topic with all this useful info have you come up with a motor pick at all ?

How ridiculous is all this? Makes me not even want to have a car anymore. If they say I can go get f$#ked when I won't shell out hundreds after I've already paid hundreds in engine swapping and suspension then I will. I've heard most of the assessors don't even have a clue what they're looking for anyway. How is that at all safe?

Getting a little tired of this sense of entitlement...It's not a god given right to be able to do what you like to your car and then drive it on a road! If you want to modify your car, do it within the current regulations,,, if you don't want to stick within the regs then can I suggest you stay the hell off the road,,. Some of the "modifications" I've seen include a Nissan S14 with a rock wedged between the spring and seat 'cos the fool cut the spring too short, a Fiat Uno with no springs at all so it's riding on the bumps, and a Holden Commodore with a block of wood and some #8 wire performing the duties of an engine mount... The regs (and associated costs) are there for a reason...

... Might as well give a monkey a gun!

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 3

Those who choose to do things the right way will, however those who don't you'll never control

• Like 2

How ridiculous is it? Well, as pretty much most of general public are not Automotive Engineers it's there for your safety. It may not feel like it, and you may think you know what you are doing - but surely it's worth while to have it properly checked out?

As for assessors not knowing what they are checking, I would guess that statement would come from someone who has looked on the internet for all the information on their modifications, and then been upset that the assessor has not passed them?

Same as Red Dwarf above I have seen some wonderful "kiwi Ingenuity" on vehicles including HT units, some of which was performed by so called "experts" in the trade.

Crunchy, you are right, there will always be those who think they are above the law, and who will not be controlled, but at least with laws in place there can be some come-back when (if) they are caught. I really don't care about what happens to them, but it is the poor innocent party that usually gets taken with them I care about.

• Like 2