Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

Removing airbag steering wheel

Whats the deal here?

Can it be done? Do I need a cert? and out of 10 what is the chance of me getting smashed in the face when I try remove it?

Chur

Depends on a number of factors, but a car can be certed to have the airbag removed. They have to be over a certain age or something (Plus aren't airbags only rated for 10 years anyway?). Pay to check the regs with lvvta or your local favourite certifier.

If you power the system down (battery off) for the required time, it won't blow up and kill you! Check the time require ment for your model, but in reality, it's almost instant, but most manufacturers have a "recommended" time to wait.

I've removed a few airbags from car I was stripping, and never had an issue... be very respectful of them though... until they're out... they you put them face down, hook up a REALLY long wire loom and set them off, seeing how far up they go!!!

Depends on a number of factors, but a car can be certed to have the airbag removed. They have to be over a certain age or something (Plus aren't airbags only rated for 10 years anyway?). Pay to check the regs with lvvta or your local favourite certifier.

If you power the system down (battery off) for the required time, it won't blow up and kill you! Check the time require ment for your model, but in reality, it's almost instant, but most manufacturers have a "recommended" time to wait.

I've removed a few airbags from car I was stripping, and never had an issue... be very respectful of them though... until they're out... they you put them face down, hook up a REALLY long wire loom and set them off, seeing how far up they go!!!

^^^ This

Drivers bags gain some impressive altitude. Curtain airbags not so much. Door bags are the most fun. Bury under a small pile of dirt and strategically place plastic toy soldiers on mound for best results :ph34r:

• Like 3