Sign in to follow this  
Joost

E30 help

Hi Guys- I'm quite new to this forum. I'm looking at getting an E30 sometime in the next 12 months. I've been putting money away for this car for the last 3 years and have about $3k already. It will be just a second car for us. Preferably I would like to get a manual but the ones I have seen on Trademe seem to be modified (lowered, non original mags etc). I have some across a couple of auto 318i which have been in good shape- a couple with leather seats. sunroof etc. These are around the $2-3k mark and seem to be fairly original with one car being owned by the same owner since he bought it in 1987. I was looking at buying an auto and then converting it. From what I read here and other forums the manual 323s/325s seem to be popular for track racing so tend to be more expensive. The manual 318s I've seen are around $5-$6k so thinking about going down the conversion route.

Any help would be much appreciated

Welcome! You probably already know this but after buying my first E30, being patient and waiting for the right one really payed off. E30's come and go on trade me pretty often. I was looking on trade me everyday for about 6months before I found mine. I've never driven one, but I've always heard that the 320i is inferior to both the 318i and 325i. There are quite a few manuals around too, just keep an eye out. E30's produced after 1987 are the facelift models and have an upgraded motronic ecu system but there's not a huge difference between them. The facelift might be a bit better on fuel. Other than that just make sure you get one that has been well serviced. I'd say you should be able to get nice manual for around 4k. I got lucky with my manual 325i - $1.5k. Good luck! You probably knew a lot of what I just said but it can't hurt haha. Hope I helped a little :-)

• Like 1

A manual 320i isn't so bad, but the autos are a waste of time. Hungrier than the 318i AND the 325i, and slower than both in a lot of normal driving.

The 320i is superior to the 318i because the extra two cylinders produce a noise that justifies the small amount of extra petrol burnt :P

Disclaimer: I have never owned a 4 cylinder BMW, and will hand in my man card if I ever do

A manual 320i isn't so bad, but the autos are a waste of time. Hungrier than the 318i AND the 325i, and slower than both in a lot of normal driving.

Exactly what I have heard before. Like I said, I have only driven a 325i.

The sound of the 6 cylinder is of course going to be much nicer than the 318 though.

dont stuff around save for a bit longer and buy a 325i..... youll thank yourself latter, they do heaps better skids >:)

When i was looking for my 205 GTI i waited over a year for a nice one to pop up. the reason being its 17349879040 times easier to start off with a nicer car and make it mint/fast than it is to sart with a shitty car and spending allot of time and money just making it nice.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the useful help. There is one 318i auto that I'm looking at with a leather interior. Was looking at doing a manual conversion on it. Is it worth it? Seem to be lower kms too

The 320i is superior to the 318i because the extra two cylinders produce a noise that justifies the small amount of extra petrol burnt :P

Disclaimer: I have never owned a 4 cylinder BMW, and will hand in my man card if I ever do

E30 m3? :P

from personal experience there are only 2 reasons why you buy the 320 e30 1) you are in the e30 series 2) to throw out the 2L and put something better in.