Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

e46 airbag recall...

It occurs to me that BMW NZ are not taking this worldwide recall at all seriously. yes there has been mention in the media but I haven't seen anything that I would call official. I rang JG and was told that they would eventually get around to it and I would be advised.

If you look at the following US alert it is obvious that many of us 2000-2006 3 and 5 series owners will be affected and I for one would like to know when I am going to be told that it is possible that I will get peppered with shrapnel if the airbags deploy - even in a low speed crash.

If anyone has an update...please post.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/Vehicle-owners-with-defective-airbags-urged-to-take-immediate-action

There's world wide shortage of airbags ... If you can imagine how many E46s were produced and how almost every single one has to be recalled, it doesn't just happen over night. BMW NZ knows as much as what they are supplied with in terms of recall notices from Germany, who in turn must rely on Takata Japan to say which batches were affected.

They don't just miraculously get shipped 20,000 airbags overnight. My understanding is they get about 100 at a time if that. So it's a slow process and the most litigious countries with the highest possible legal ramifications get priority as you can expect.

• Like 1

Makes sense I guess. So do we just sit and wait for a notice in the mail based on VIN or do we ring them up again?

BMW did this when I took it in for a wheel alignment.

But I received the letter this week saying 'we tracked down your details... bring it in for swap ASAP...' That's a NZ new car. So they are obviously chipping away at it.

So what years are in this recall because after reading this I went to the local stealer and asked about it they said No my vehicle was not part of the recall. assembly October 2001 NZ new Compact.

So what years are in this recall because after reading this I went to the local stealer and asked about it they said No my vehicle was not part of the recall. assembly October 2001 NZ new Compact.

Hence my post above. There does not seem to be a definitive source of information to find out whether some of us are affected.