Sign in to follow this  
Otagobud

E34 540 I SE. What should I do for brake/suspension upgrade?

Kia Ora / och aye th noo

Hi all,

Any advice on what to do with my 540i brakes and suspension would be appreciated,

Cheers, Bud

Hey Bud,

It would depend on how you would like your car to look and perform? Then there is how much would you want to spend to that end?

Have a look on google at some E34's and you will soon see something that you like, then see how they did it. I will suggest though is be prepared to spend a lot of money if you are looking at a major improvements on top of what you already have.

Plenty of E34's on here, and we have probably gone well past our original budgets...then some...

Lionel

• Like 1

i had a e34 535,the brakes were more than adequate,with a "stiff pedal",the 540s i drove were not as positive.I think you need to tell us what you think is wrong and or what you want to acheive.There is a LOT of information and knowlwedge on the internet about e 34s.The v8s had limited room so have a different(inferior imho) to the 6's.

upgrade all front suspension to 750iL spec stuff, that will be a good start. make sure springs and shocks are good, or go coilovers like i did.

front is where all the handling feel comes from, the back not quite so important

front is where all the handling feel comes from, the back not quite so important

Uhhh that could be misinterpreted...

Suspension should be upgraded as a system, that is, front and rear end together. A stiffer/tighter front end will only amplify the sloppyness of a worn out rear suspension system. Even worse with a RWD chassis.

Whatever he ends up doing...

Just have loads and loads of money.

I have done in the rear: poly rear subframe bushes, low Jamex springs, billie hd's, HD strut mounts, dogbones

For front: Lowered King Springs, Billie hd's, HD strut mounts, 1" correction plates, tie rack centre and both ends, sway bar links, spherical uppers and lowers

A bloody fortune, and I don't have coilovers and strut bar things and stuff, or hydraulics...adjustable koni's or that real high end stuff.

Another suggestion is not to buy cheap crap. Our cars are snobs and will sh*t out any inferior crap. My first attempt at replacing the upper's with FCP Euro shite...meant that I was doing the same job 6 months later with sphericals. Ultimately get it right, or as close to right as you can the first time. These things are heavy and need good suspension parts for them to work proper like.

If you paying for labor it is but the E34 has alot less to components to replace than its sucessors.

Thanks all for the info, I'm intending to do the work myself and I have no real need to upgrade from factory unless the cost/ benefit ratio is real value for money.

Cheers, Bud

Depends if its running factory gear and what the condition is like, most E34's ive bought have been running cheap or old shocks along with average at best suspension bushings etc.

I drive a E34 540i 6sp, manual and sport suspension, which is factory issue, which some folk call an IS. It is in my view one of the best all round cars you can get. Good honest performance, reasonable economy, cruise all day, go for a quick sprint if required, its magnificent in red, reliable as the day is long.

When I first got it I had a list as long as me arm as to the modifications I was going to do to it. A wise man from this site(true story) advised me to drive it for 6 months first, then make changes after that as and if required.

Well mate I've had the car for 3 yrs now, and all I've done, is fuelled it and serviced it..

Now listen to grandpa when I tell ya, just drive the car, make sure ya got decent tyres, make sure she's serviced to schedule, keep ya money in ya pocket to spend on ya girl friend...

• Like 2