Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

S50B32 Thermostat opening, how much?

I am having some strange cooling issues on the S50B32, does anyone know how far the S50B32 thermostat should open, here is a pic with wear marks showing how much mine is opening.

vhk14jlt.pga.jpg

did some reasearch, boiled it to 100 degrees, didn't open until ~85c, 95% open at open until 90c, then it went a little bit more at 95c. It's opening the full way.

Mine opens at 80 on the data logger (can feel the outlet pipe get warm) ... stays stable at around 90. Fan kicks in at 95 and brings it down to 90 again.

The temp gauge is located different to your tests hence the variations .

What cooling issues do you have?

On a hot day it's creeping over 100c when pushing it (+6000rpm), the oil just sits at 125c and doesn't move. Since the oil cooler sits infront of the radiator I suspect the oil cooler it heating the water in the rad more than the cooling system can handle.

I am thinking of replacing the current oil cooler with somthing like this mounted at the bottom - http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworldcr-racing-e36-oil-cooler-p1662.aspx - my thoughts being I gain all the cooling space of where the the current oil cooler is fitted and I am also putting 20c through that part of the radiator rather than 120c.

You might just have a shot radiator. Check the inside of it.... if its black its been anodized from electrolysis and isn't efficient anymore.

Does it keep climbing over 100c if you keep pushing it? 100c isn't too hot for a engine that is been thrashed. Remember it's summer and the ambient air is a lot hotter, and it won't boil till over 125~c if your cap is good

• Like 1