Sign in to follow this  
benpaul12

Where to get some used tyres

My rear Michelin PSS are stuffed, got a nail in one and the other side is worn as.

I don't really have the funds right now for two new rear ones, any ideas/rec. for places in Auckland to get some decent 2nd handies from?

http://www.mcphailtyres.co.nz/

http://www.tires.co.nz/

http://www.trademe.co.nz/

edit:

Me and my friend recently bought a set of new tyres from Todd @ Kiwi Tyres

http://www.trademe.co.nz/services/trades/automotive/auction-857901471.htm

Very nice guy and prices seemed very good!

Tell Todd that Daniel introduced you and he should help you out.

Edited by QUBE
  • Like 1

Thanks mate!

Went to McPhail this morning, got two Bridgestone G-Grid tyres which still had the paint lines on the tread for $120. Awesome.

^ good work!

ive always had a hard time finding matching pairs at mcphail. its really just luck as to when you go in cuz they get shipments in all the time and they sell like hotcakes.

Cheers. Yes when he told me they had 15 of the size and they were $60 each I could hardly contain myself when new decent ones were going to be about $400 each.

Yeah there were 13 left in that size, but they were all different brands. I got the two newest ones there...

There's a reason they were cheap!!!

Went away down the line for the weekend and came back, once on the asphalt of the Bombay Hills the car had a horrendous shudder/vibration.

Went to take it in for a wheel balance at Bridgestone and the whole tyre had slipped toward the inside wall and the steel was moving across, the other tyre had begun caving in the middle too. The near new 2nd hand tyres turned out to be manufactured in 1996.

To McPhail's credit they are going to refund the purchase and didn't cause a fuss at all.

Feel like a muppet really that I didn't know more, live and learn eh? Feeling a little lucky that Bridgestone are doing the 2nd tyre for half price at the moment. Bargin hunting sometimes doesn't always work out ;)

Also feeling lucky that the tyre didn't blow on the Tahuna road yesterday afternoon.

yes always the most important thing when buying second hand tyres... CHECK THE DATE on the sidewall.

Also goes for new tyres too, some will be more than a year old before you buy them, particularly the low turnover premium brands.

red alert on G-grids, the originals haven't been produced for donkeys, even grid II's are a decade old!

Payless Tyres in Penrose/Onehunga on Nelson St.

Mike and Adrian will sort you out!

yes always the most important thing when buying second hand tyres... CHECK THE DATE on the sidewall.

Also goes for new tyres too, some will be more than a year old before you buy them, particularly the low turnover premium brands.

Definantly luck of the drawer when buying off TM. I got lucky and scored 2 falkin highest spec 275/35/18 for 120$ with 7mm tread!

Just got two brand new Bridgestone RE003 fitted (manufactured in Feb!) for $570.

Probably won't do the 2nd hand thing again.

Just got two brand new Bridgestone RE003 fitted (manufactured in Feb!) for $570.

Probably won't do the 2nd hand thing again.

Bridgestone make a nice quiet tyre. Remember ringing Tonys Tyre service (Dodgiest f**kers in the trade) and asking for some second hand tyres, his response was they dont do them because once they have been removed from a wheel the sidewalls perish and you a "almost certainly" going to get blowouts and that tyres arnt designed to be removed and can only be fitted once!.

He then went on the quiz me about tyres asking how much I want to spend, If i was going to buy them today. I remember my Grandmother went in there to get a puncher repaired "Free!" and ended out paying $19 getting the pressure tested and nitrogen filled and wheels balanced for $60 when the car was near new and only traveled 12,000km...Goes without saying beware!

Rant over :ph34r:

Edited by benzboy

Yeah I once went to Tony's and the guy basically tried selling the most expensive tyre in their catalogue. When I was showing displeasure in the quote he didn't even respond with some other possible brands.

I just walked. I don't really appreciate places which are all about beating the competition, but only if you prove someone else's prices.

• Like 1

its a shame the tyres from mcphails didnt work out but they are generally good with returns replacements and refunds from what ive seen while i was there.

always a bit of luck when buying 2nd hand and its important to check the manufacture date, not just tread depth.

very lucky it didnt bust on you while you were away for the weekend but I wouldnt have risked going away on them especially because they were only supposed to last you a while until you could afford good NEW tyres.

Bridgestone make a nice quiet tyre. Remember ringing Tonys Tyre service (Dodgiest f**kers in the trade) and asking for some second hand tyres, his response was they dont do them because once they have been removed from a wheel the sidewalls perish and you a "almost certainly" going to get blowouts and that tyres arnt designed to be removed and can only be fitted once!.

He then went on the quiz me about tyres asking how much I want to spend, If i was going to buy them today. I remember my Grandmother went in there to get a puncher repaired "Free!" and ended out paying $19 getting the pressure tested and nitrogen filled and wheels balanced for $60 when the car was near new and only traveled 12,000km...Goes without saying beware!

Rant over :ph34r:

there are certainly dodgy tyre places but just because a car is new and "only" travelled 12,000kms, doesnt mean it wont need alignment and balancing. it can be required even after leaving the shop if u drive over a pot hole or hit a curb etc. its not something that "goes bad" after a certain distance travelled.

and also if a tyre needs puncture repair, then obviously the tyres come off, and its necessary to get it balanced properly to ensure even tread wear and also so the car drives straight etc

there are certainly dodgy tyre places but just because a car is new and "only" travelled 12,000kms, doesnt mean it wont need alignment and balancing. it can be required even after leaving the shop if u drive over a pot hole or hit a curb etc. its not something that "goes bad" after a certain distance travelled.

and also if a tyre needs puncture repair, then obviously the tyres come off, and its necessary to get it balanced properly to ensure even tread wear and also so the car drives straight etc

A new car only 6 months old with new tyres does not need a balancing on all 4 tyre imo. They didnt take the tyre off the repair the puncture, they used this heat thing and injected rubber stuff in it (weird I know) :)

Just there whole approch as Benjamin was saying is pushy and bad!

Edited by benzboy

oh right. i didnt see the bit about $60 which obviously means it was all 4. I thought it was $19 for the one repair and balancing.

that is quite odd. and how they repaired it is even more odd and shouldnt need balancing if that was the case.

they put the tire under air pressure found the pinhole puncture and heated up the rubber and put this resin in it. pretty cool stuff

Can only really be complimentary of the service at McPhails, just the product probably should've been removed from the shelf in 2002....above I was talking about a bad customer service experience at Tony's.

You're right Kyu, they didn't really ask any questions or put up a fight (steel strands inside the tyre would've been hard to anyway!) - they even transferred the funds back into my account before I got back to the office!

I just wish the guy was a bit more honest. I would only go back out there to look at their tyres again if I went with someone who knew a lot more than me.

the thing is the tyres come in massive bulk in containers usually from japan or other random countries. they dont actually sit there for years as they actually do sell pretty quick.. their stock is always "new" as in just arrived to them but they do have some old stuff that probably isnt fit for sale. but at the same time there is no way for them to test each tyre because as you have seen, its a massive place with $hitload of tyres. it is a bit dangerous though.. but ive still had some really good stuff from them before, i always get trusted brand and model + check out the year of manufacture and get it fitted at a proper tyre shop so they can tell me if something is not right instead of taking my $20 and chucking it on the car.