Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Locked out of E46 Touring

I have a 2000 325i E46 Touring.

Cannot unlock the car via remote or via drivers door lock (I think the door lock actuator is also broken). It is a touring so there is no lock on the boot hatch.

After doing some googling I have replaced the battery in the key - nope still can't get in.

I assume it is a dead battery but I am unable to get into the car to charge or replace it.

What should I do? Is there a way to get in that doesn't involve breaking a window or ruining other parts of the car?

Help most appreciated.

If it's a flat battery can you get under the bonnet or Jack the car up so you can get under there and clip a jump battery on to the main feed to the starter.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, ended up just calling the AA and the bloke had seen a few like this before -he wedged the door frame and threaded a rod through to hook and pull the bonnet release.

Car in the garage now with battery charging. Will get the door lock replaced ASAP so this doesn't happen again.

• Like 2

Yep, power up the car as others have said if the battery is dead. Done this many times on AA jobs. Wont work if the car is dead locked though, which is often.

Before having lock picks & when deadlocked - Have done as he did then powered up an ign circuit & then power the windows down.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, ended up just calling the AA and the bloke had seen a few like this before -he wedged the door frame and threaded a rod through to hook and pull the bonnet release.

Car in the garage now with battery charging. Will get the door lock replaced ASAP so this doesn't happen again.

Sounds about right... he wouldn't have to risk damaging the car if he used the connection underneath though. Our E39 has one on the left "chassis" rail under the starter.

The lock has to be turned MUCH further than when using the central locking too - 90* I think.

Sounds about right... he wouldn't have to risk damaging the car if he used the connection underneath though. Our E39 has one on the left "chassis" rail under the starter.

The lock has to be turned MUCH further than when using the central locking too - 90* I think.

Never seen a power connector under the starter on one. Always been up top between the the plenum tubes. Are you sure yours is original?

Yes 90 deg to deadlock with the key BUT auto deadlocks via remote - which is generally how they are locked...

Never seen a power connector under the starter on one. Always been up top between the the plenum tubes. Are you sure yours is original?

Yes 90 deg to deadlock with the key BUT auto deadlocks via remote - which is generally how they are locked...

Yep - the main cable come forward from the boot, to a junction is a plastic (red) surround...

OK - asked Uncle Google - easier:

7197762154_cfb211a916.jpg

12V+ in there B)

• Like 1

Sure is B) Cant say I've ever taken any notice when under them, & that's been plenty!

That said, I've not had do that fix on a Beemer before. in a flat battery scenario - have always had key to access the car & open the bonnet.

My issues have always been car locked, (usually deadlocked) & keys in boot

My issues have always been car locked, (usually deadlocked) & keys in boot

Waiting for my Mrs to do that.....

She locked a kid in the supermarket carpark once, while loading groceries..... luckily she managed to coax him into pulling the handle twice... just as I pulled up after leaving work! :lol:

Guy next door to me does calls for the AA, and he had 32 calls on a weekend, a month or two back! :o

• Like 1

In a flat battery scenario - have always had key to access the car & open the bonnet.

People many blocks away heard my offensive language when I realised the door lock was buggered and there's no lock on the touring hatch.

Have found a guy on Trademe based here in Christchurch who sells the repair kits for the door lock - $35 for the kit plus $80 to install. Not a bad deal I thought.