Sign in to follow this  
Waltsbm

LSD

What ratio you looking for?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID

Following. around 4:1 somewhere would be good if theres one around?

Following. around 4:1 somewhere would be good if theres one around?

are ya needing a nice ratio one to get your torque numbers up :P

I've been dying to have the torque discussion with somebody. Rotarys deliver their torque much differently to a piston engine.

Torque is purely "rotational force" where as power is torque multiplied by RPM. A rotary doesnt have as much "peak torque" as an equivalent piston engine nor does it deliver peak torque as early, but typically has a flatter, broader curve. The more area under the line on the dyno graph, the better.

The age old "V8s have lots of torque" is a good one, the V8 simply delivers torque earlier and drops off earlier, so a V8 can have low power (torque with a low RPM multiplier) this will still shred tyres, but it wont pull and pull and pull! The rotarys ability to rev combined with a flat torque curve is an awesome experience!

Simply put, the terms "torque" and "power" only tell part of a story, to get the full picture you must know where in the rev range the torque is produced. So my desire for a 4.1:1 is purely to match the RX7 gearbox and to compliment the 13b's love of rpms.

That said, I didnt chose the rotary for my car based on torque or power alone. I dont dislike V8s or big sixes (my other car is a big six). I chose it for the wide power band, the weight, the size and of course the sound and smell!

I can pickup the 13b fully dressed with turbo and manifolds, attached to the gearbox and lift from the engine end off the ground. I cant do that with an M20/M50 engine on its own... Thats ALOT of front end weight saved.

Dont take this like I'm saying rotaries are the best choice, I'm still open minded to all swaps, but for my application its going to be a sh*t load of fun! After all, thats why we do what we do isnt it? This car of mine should, depending on when it comes on boost, deliver peak torque at around 4k rpm and keep it relatively steady all the way to 8000rpm, leading to almost 200kw at the rear wheels in stock trim without porting. Tell me that wont be fun in an E30??

Edited by SIR E30
  • Like 1

gunna be pretty cool alright! and I'm sure you will do it a lot better than most of the 13b e30s out there

• Like 1