Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob789

E36 328i top radiator hose just blew

So my 328i e36 has been sitting around for a couple of months, I went to start it yesterday, let it run for about 10 mins then all of a sudden, there was a massive bang and steam pouring from the gaps around the bonnet!

Pulled up the bonnet and the top radiator hose has a massive hole in and coolant gone everywhere!!!

Before I replace the pipe, I obviously need to find out the root cause.

Any ideas?

Has never overheated or anything since ownership btw.

post-17288-0-65739400-1442632876_thumb.j

That what I first thought but it doesn't look like it, there's a rather large gap between + the hole is on the top.

Could it just be wear?

Looks like the inside of that hose is perished quite badly, they do that with age, unfortunately the others in your cooling system the same age might not be far behind, good time to do some preventative maintenance!

If you can afford it, get a new water pump, thermostat and housing, alloy radiaor with combined header tank and a full hose set. It sounds like overkill but otherwise you'll be chasing leaks/issues until you've replaced it all anyway!

Lol, that's a good-un! Well done, should souvenir it for the shed wall :ph34r:

But seriously, take it as an omen that your cooling system needs an overhaul. Makes for expenses that you probably hadn't budgeted on, but replacing a few hoses and a radiator is still easier than a head job / engine swap :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will take your advise and replace the whole system, after all it is a project car ?