Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

E30 radio poll.

Just trying to figure out which way to go.

Have found a period correct unit alpine 7288 w cd changer but I also like a good stereo sound and to play music off my ph.

Trying to decide if I can mod to allow aux and just have to run amps or run a new age headunit that I can Taylor to match the dash was thinking of the kenwood KDC-x700bt.

i have a modern clarion n mine, can't remember model number but i know i have posted the model number a few times here, just use search feature. can program it to say stuff, and there is a blue tooth adaptor you can buy for it. but best of all it all looks 80s tho does have a cd slot.

If you can find a cheap one on ebay, a CD43 from an E36 with a GROM audio Bluetooth adaptor. I'm about to start installing this setup with a separate amp (speaker level inputs from the CD43), I will post on here the setup when it's finished.

• Like 1

i think i have one of those CD43s lying about..........

you might be able to wire an aux input into the cd or tape input of the alpine.

These units seem to be common choice due to their non flashy looks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NAKAMICHI-CD400-AUDIO-STEREO-HEAD-UNIT-AUDIO-AUX-TOP-CAR-RADIO-Stereo-/272210487007?hash=item3f610266df:g:lzQAAOSwhDdXDhCs

Or have a look in repco/supercheap at the colour changeable models.

Yeah i was curious if it may be possible to use a DIN to RCA converter to change the input to aux? but i cant find any info other than on home systems.

But that nakamichi unit is perfect, the kenwood unit is colour changeable so would suit too

The nakamichi might be hard to find though? I am looking at options too after not being able to repair my nz new sony unit. I don't consider myself an expert but if you find a pinout of the din plug it will probably have a pin for left channel, right channel and ground which 'may' be able to be connected to an aux cable. I guess the question is what voltage the cd input operates at and whether or not the unit will accept the input without the cd changer connected

Yeah the nakamichi unit being 13+ years old is definetly a bit of a unicorn. who knows where they all end up but finding one overseas could be possible.

Yeah its money that is a gamble if it doesnt work.....as im not sure how it all works and sometimes it looks like the audio is a seperate rca as well.

Yeah the kenwood unit is good because it has all the features i want and is colour changeable with out being too stand outish, the other one i have found is a cheap chinese adayo unit on trademe that looks like it may fit in quite well and work ok....guess it comes down to how fussy your music taste is