Sign in to follow this  
CoxyNZ

E30 1988 window wipers not working?

My window wipers on my bmw e30 stop and start randomly? Usually work fine without any odd noises then all of a sudden stop working for a few minutes then suddenly start working again? Very confused is it a failing motor? Electrical problem? Is this a common issue? Any help appreciated thanks

Sounds like it's definitely an electrical issue, I'm not 100% up to play with common failures on the E30's but would suggest start by checking the basics - fuse is connecting good (not loose in the fusebox), check the voltage at the motor, check for continuity between the motor and ground, and any earthing wires at the motor. Might be the switch itself is playing up or the motor itself is possibly had it.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will chime in and give better suggestions, if not the above may be a starting point to try and eliminate things without just replacing everything.

wiper/washer  module , contacts or failing , very common , can supply

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies ill have a look at it this weekend and see if I can resolve it. 

After having a play round, I discovered the k10 relay in the fuse box when hit/adjusted would cause the wipers to either work or not. I guess vibration causes this to happen when driving. Would this be a problem with the relay or the contacts in the fuse box? Or loose ground? (If there is a grounding cable in that area?). Thanks

13 minutes ago, CoxyNZ said:

After having a play round, I discovered the k10 relay in the fuse box when hit/adjusted would cause the wipers to either work or not. I guess vibration causes this to happen when driving. Would this be a problem with the relay or the contacts in the fuse box? Or loose ground? (If there is a grounding cable in that area?). Thanks

Take the relay out and clean the pins first. Sounds more of a problem with contacts rather then a failing relay switch.