Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Anyone ever EXPORTed a car from NZ to Europe?

Lots of info on importing, which I did when coming here, but taking a car out? 

I would need to show ownership and usage. Maybe even official export docs too.

Usage is fine but actual ownership is hard to show given the system here is mostly online?

I think NZ Post will give you a printout of registered owner... might cost a few bucks.

Are you asking about getting a car out of this country or, getting it into a foreign country? I would have thought to get it out of this country you just need to get it on a ship, the getting it into the other country will probably be the complicated part.

If you don’t get the car out of the country with the right paperwork it’s a hell of a lot harder to get it into another.

Getting a car out of this country illegitimately without contacts is going to be pretty difficult. I don't think the OP is looking for those contacts here. ?

I think you need to understand the import requirements of the foreign country before you consider the export requirements from here. 

Edited by M3AN

Lol, you guys watch too much TV. :)  

Yeah Im just trying to plan how to legit and easily get my E28 from here to Ireland. NZTA replied to my email, their advice (though I dont know if this is everything):

- Get a "replacement" Certificate of Registration (cost $9.10). Not sure if I had/have one of these, what do they look like? Form for replacement is here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/application-for-replacement-certificate-of-registration/

- FIll in form MR15, Application to Cancel Registration at AA, VTNZ or Vehicle Inspection NZ. Cost is also $9.10.

Ive imported loadsa cars into Ireland, but never from outside the EU, which I think will be trickier. The massive time lag (ship transit time) will likely cause some confusion as it will appear as a gap in registration, but unavoidable. 

This car came from the UK originally incidentally. For its 40th I might try find the original BMW garage if it exists and take it over to the UK and take photos. If the UK still exists post-Brexit and allows foreigners in of course. ?

I suspect it will be quite a lot more complex getting into Ireland from outside the EU.

The "replacement" CoR is just a printout of the current registration, that's the one I was referring to above. What you'll need is the completed and stamped MR7... if you have your last rego application (stamped) then that will be fine. For the $9.10 you'll get another plastic registration tag for your windscreen which will not help because it doesn't have your name. It might be easier to pop down to the local post office and get it sorted there

You don't really need to cancel the registration, it's just a convenience (because you can export a registered vehicle). Although for ~$9 you might as well.

It would be worth checking, since it's an ex-UK car, if it's easier to relocate it to the UK first and then to Ireland (well, before Brexit hits proper).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, M3AN said:

You don't really need to cancel the registration, it's just a convenience (because you can export a registered vehicle). Although for ~$9 you might as well.

You won’t be able to “cancel” the registration, you can only do that for a new vehicle for 7 days, but you may well need to de-register the vehicle and have the de-reg papers to get it into Ireland.

That’s what I meant about “the right paperwork”, not stealing a car.

Things like proof of ownership, ie a receipt not a rego slip, can also be required.

Your best bet would be to contact the licensing authorities in Ireland and get the official word, rather than listen to people guessing on the internets.

• Like 1

There are a ton of things regarding importing into Ireland, espeically from outside the EU. One new rule thats came in since I was there is the requirement for a European Certificate of Conformity (incidentially I think NZ had/have such a requirement for some imports too). Since it was a UK car originally I emailed the UK BMW email that deals with this (eccoc@bmw.co.uk), I heard it takes them weeks to reply though.

I can manually create a CoC on the Irish revenue site for the car.. but its like a hardcore 10 page document with really obscure trade agreement and manufaturing specific detail. Way more data is required than I would be able to get. There are services you can pay (EUR160 a pop) to make one for you, but rather see what BMW say first.

Aside from this, Ireland is mostly concerned with paying VAT and Customs, which if I care enough I can be exempt from as a returning citizen and also Vehicle Import Tax (VRT), which again I can get an exemption for but in this case its only EUR200 as the car is so old. Ive paid EUR10k before for newer things, its a % of the current value! 

I don't think there is the rust paranoia and other odd import inspections NZ has as Ireland has a more robust (and annoying) annual Vehicle Inspection, they dont tend to freak out about safety at the border point. They certainly wont be moving the car around the dock repeatedly at my cost and then gassing it like my E31 had to do when imported here!  ;)

Edited by Kodachrome
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You won’t be able to “cancel” the registration, you can only do that for a new vehicle for 7 days, but you may well need to de-register the vehicle and have the de-reg papers to get it into Ireland.

Semantics. ?

If you are going to offer advice, I feel it can be beneficial to be accurate. ?

When it turns up the other end, potentially without the correct paperwork the Irish authorities a very unlikely to say “semantics”.

5 hours ago, Kodachrome said:

One new rule thats came in since I was there is the requirement for a European Certificate of Conformity (incidentially I think NZ had/have such a requirement for some imports too). Since it was a UK car originally I emailed the UK BMW email that deals with this (eccoc@bmw.co.uk), I heard it takes them weeks to reply though.

I can manually create a CoC on the Irish revenue site for the car.. but its like a hardcore 10 page document with really obscure trade agreement and manufaturing specific detail. Way more data is required than I would be able to get. There are services you can pay (EUR160 a pop) to make one for you, but rather see what BMW say first.

When I got a CoC from BMW UK it did take a few days to come through.

As newer Imports into NZ also need this same paperwork for compliance you can get them from BMW NZ. Not sure what the current asking price is though, sorry.

• Thanks 1

Well BMW in the UK were no use!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the vehicle, it is not possible to obtain an EC Certificate of Conformity as this document is available only from certain production dates.

It is with regret we cannot be of greater assistance.

Kind regards,

The Homologation Team

Ill try BMW Ireland (and the import authority people) and failing that will have to take my chances with one of those pay for COC places..

Edited by Kodachrome

Ah, I may have misunderstood and over complicated things for myself, found this:

All new vehicles presented for registration are legally required to have an electronic Certificate of Conformity (e-CoC). Where an individual acquires a new vehicle, and must register that vehicle in the State an e-CoC is required to be either uploaded to the Revenue system OR inputted manually to the Revenue system

With this glossary:

New: a vehicle that has not previously been registered or recorded in the State or any other jurisdiction.

So.. this isnt a "new" car and therefore doesnt need the Certificate of Conformity at all!

• Like 1