Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

BMW Drift car

Is there any BMW's in the drift scene?

I have a friend that refuses to believe that BMW's can drift.....

and that it is impossible to drift a vehicle without an lsd..

I have seen a manual 318 ti go sideways....i told my mate this but he refuses to believe that it actually happend...

was just wondering what everyone elses opinion was....

look at the gentleman hooligan thread and click on the link in the 4th post

define drift properly?

ask andy about his 318....

motorsports going sideways enough, but i dunno if i would call it drifting proper

e30s have short wheel bases, which make control whilst sideways hard

Guest Andrew

Any car - even front wheel drive can drift (if it's going fast enough)

"Drifting" - isn't a quick burst of power round a round-a-bout using the LSD to make the rear step out.

Cars with open diffs can still do this - once you have the car well balanced - constant throttle on a constant radius turn, a wee jab of the gas pedal will send it really sideways (i.e this is how those of us with 318s can have sh*t loads of fun - they are just better balanced).

Your friend doesn't know anything about cars - to sum it up.

Guest Andrew

I've found any E46 i've driven to be a factory drift car - they are so easy to go sideways in.

Yuh, any car can drift.... as most of the top drifters say, the car is only a very small part of the equation, as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing anything is possible. ^_^

Can anyone explain how the winner is determined in a drifting 'race'?

I've watched it several times on TV and I'm smegged if I can work it out. Oftentimes, the bloke running second ends up as the winner.

Veird stuff!

It has nothing to do with who finishes first.

Points are gained from the spedd, angle and amount of smoke that is thrown off the tyres.

In cases where they are having 'drift battles,' and there are two cars on the track, whoever can follow the leading cars lines the closest will win, in cases where the leading car is passed in a drift the car that passes him will more than likely win.

Or.......

What is drifting?

Drifting is a high-skill level motor-sport in which drivers control a car while it slides from side to side at high speed (approx. 90 to 125mph) through a fixed course. It is similar to Rally racing on ice barn, but is done on a tarmac (paved course) and judged on speed, angle of attack, execution and style rather than just who finishes the fastest. Drift cars are typically compact to midsized, rear-wheel-drive sport cars. The goal is to apply enough power to the rear wheels to break the tires' traction and initiate a slide while accelerating the vehicle forward, or "drift" Once a drift is initiated, it must be maintained through the turn using nearly a full power, a tap of braking and precise counter steering.

What is D1 Grand Prix?

Determination of who has the coolest driving style.

D1 Grand Prix is a sport, which is judged, based on who has the coolest and radical drifting performance style.  Drifting is a way of driving that force the rear tires slide while controlling the pass of forward motion.  The steering wheel is turning to the same side of the sliding direction, and drivers are to control the vehicle in extreme speed, often exceeding 120mph, and driving conditions.

Drifting is an extremely difficult driving style that requires a high level of skill and technique to control the car in the relm of the uncontrolable.  It's very amusing to watch each driver's performance as well.  In addition, unlike Rally and other motor sports, the determination of winner/loser is largely based on driver's skill instead of the machine advantages.  D1 Grand Prix is all about the rivalry of each driver's drifting skill.

System of D1 Grand Prix

Qualifying round

80 to 100 drivers down to 28 to 32 drivers

Only the D1 license holders are allowed to participate.

D1 Grand Prix always starts from the Qualifying round.   Participation is limited to drivers who already obtain a D1 license.  However, the top 10 drivers in series ranking at that time (series ranking of the past year for the first round) are exempt from the qualifying round.  The highest record of participating drivers in 2004 series was 97 drivers at the qualifying round.

The drivers are judged by solo run's performance at qualifying round.   They are given 2 or 3 judging runs.  The highest point out of those 2 or 3 runs will be used for the final judgment.  The points are given based on following elements; Angle, Speed, Lines(closer to a given clipping points is better), engine's throttle angles(wide open throttle is better), and whether the vehicle accelerates on the straightway.  According to the point earned, the top 22 drivers plus the 10 ceded drivers proceed to the actual First round. The qualifying round usually takes place a day before the main D1 event.

1st round

32 drivers down to 16 drivers

Determining of proceeding drivers for Tsuiso (chase run) tournament.

Total of 32 drivers, which are 22 proceeding drivers from qualifying rounds and 10 seeded drivers, are allowed to participate in 1st round of main D1 event.  First round is judged by solo run as well.  2 or 3 judging runs are given and the judging standards remain the same as that of qualifying round.

However, the higher levels of performance can be seen compared to the qualifying round. Only top 16 drivers will proceed to the next Tsuiso (chase battles) round. 

The pairs for Tsuiso battles are determined based on the points earned in this round.  Generally, the 1st round of Tsuiso battles are paired up in order of 1st place vs. 16th place, 2nd place vs. 15th place, 3rd place vs 14th place and so on.

Tsuiso (Chase battle)Tournament

16 drivers down to 1st place driver

Side by Side, drift battle

The most intense battle starts from this point.  This Tsuiso battles will present many perfect drift performances of top drivers going side by side, to grab the taste of victory. 

The judging runs begin after competing 2 vehicles go for a practice run for warm-up.  The line is no longer drivers?concern; it's the battle against survival.  It would be a loss if a chasing driver is left behind.  The chasing driver will win once he closes in on the leading driver and takes the inner line.  Nevertheless, there is no guarantee of proceeding to the Best-16 round due to machine advantage since the judgment is also based on the drifting angle and considering the each machine's potentials.   Large amount of points will be deducted when the vehicle spins out and/or in case of under steer during performance.  There are cases where the leading driver intentionally slows down dramatically in order to force the chasing driver to swerve straight while drifting.

Point system and D1 round series.

Only top 16 drivers earn points.

Drivers earn series points according to their result at each round.  1st place gets 20 points and 2 points are deducted from 2nd place on, giving 10th place 2 points.  1 point is given for 11th to 16th place drivers.  Points are given only to the drivers who proceeded to Tsuisou Round.

1st and 2nd places are determined by actual battle, but from 3rd to 16th places are determined by judges?evaluation. 

There are 7 rounds per year, and overall points will determine the champion at the end of the D1 series.    

How do I participate in D1?

Obtaining the license.

You must be a D1 license holder in order to participate in D1 Grand Prix.  There are 2 main ways of obtaining D1 license.  One is to maintain good results at D1 Drivers search events that are certified by D1 Grand Prix Officials.  The second way is to participate in ?katen?drivers search sponsored by Sanpros and score high points in it.  If a driver has fairly good reputation in other motorsports, then the judges may grant a right to participate in D1 Grand Prix.

wow thanks for the info, I was totally in the dark about drifting, thought it was pointless. But it sounds fun. :lol:

My E36 318is is able to drift, even with 19's and pretty grippy tires. Lift of round a sweeping corner and nail it when it starts to flick out.

Doesn't link up drifts in the dry though. Just get chronic tank slap when it runs out of power and grips.

Rain, aka. Drift Drops, allows professional looking but potentially pant soiling snakes up the road.

My brakes however didn't like to operate when wet and i piled into the back of a mates car.

Anything can be Drifted [or designed to be drifted] the main problem with short wheelbase cars is their low polar moment of inertia [weight between the wheelbase]for agility. If you increased the weight BEHIND the rear wheels, it would drift easily[along with all the other mods]

Years ago,I had an aquaintance from the USA that was a stunt driver on a Movie-Set. They were Drifting a double-decker London bus around the streets of San Diego [i've seen the footage, it was f***en crazy] all they did was knock the side windows out[so it woudn't act like a sail]& gut out all the seating.Aparently there is no weight in the coachwork and being rear engined made it easy [they hosed down the road]

Maybe I should go and build that Triumph Herald Drift Car [ha ha]

I always thought a turbo RWD Honda City limo would be badassness, the mean drifter!!! :ph34r:

Guest Andrew

My E36 318is is able to drift, even with 19's and pretty grippy tires. Lift of round a sweeping corner and nail it when it starts to flick out.

Doesn't link up drifts in the dry though. Just get chronic tank slap when it runs out of power and grips.

Rain, aka. Drift Drops, allows professional looking but potentially pant soiling snakes up the road.

My brakes however didn't like to operate when wet and i piled into the back of a mates car.

If its auto - i'd pay to see a 318 go round and round a round-a-bout sideways in a constant drift with no LSD.

been there building that-non compliant 95 M3, no interior, cage heaps of camber and caster gonna show them rice rocket clowns that no hairdryer, gay mount and poo valve can do it - afterall the vehicle with the most drift cred is............................thats right ae86 toyota levin 1600 tin can with a grand total of 135bhp.....................

If its auto - i'd pay to see a 318 go round and round a round-a-bout sideways in a constant drift with no LSD.
It's manual. The gear ratio is really quite high and it seems to have a bit torque loss between the 2nd and 3rd gear speed ranges.

With a bit of luck i might pull of a couple of laps round a round-a-bout, but it'd be in 2nd gear on constant rev cut-out. And it would take a bit of concentration.

As soon as i find a remotely located round-a-bout with no traffic i'll try it.

Guest Andrew

It's manual. The gear ratio is really quite high and it seems to have a bit torque loss between the 2nd and 3rd gear speed ranges.

With a bit of luck i might pull of a couple of laps round a round-a-bout, but it'd be in 2nd gear on constant rev cut-out. And it would take a bit of concentration.

As soon as i find a remotely located round-a-bout with no traffic i'll try it.

You are officially invited to a 318 drifting session with me :D

heh will PM details.

Thanks so much for all your replies, when i told him about the compact going sideways, he said that it was just fishtailing, but it was still continuous, and it did get pretty sideways even if it was "fishtailing" maybe its just because he is a rwd nissan boy..

Thanks so much for all your replies, when i told him about the compact going sideways, he said that it was just fishtailing, but it was still continuous, and it did get pretty sideways even if it was "fishtailing" maybe its just because he is a rwd nissan boy..

Shorty ,

Show your mate the ghost rider verse M Coupe video, should change their mind about BMW's being drifted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZxKMwl6cQc

that is 1 cool clip

Shorty ,

Show your mate the ghost rider verse M Coupe video, should change their mind about BMW's being drifted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZxKMwl6cQc

that is 1 cool clip