Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

e30 suspension.

In terms of shock shortening - it all varies.

My racecar - approx 60mm drop - has shocks that are around 50mm shorter than standard ones when we checked.

Most people don't bother using shorter shocks and find that the springs are not captive with super low springs (anything over a ~ 40 mm drop).

So in summary - if you lower the rear 40 mm it and use a standard koni or bilstein sport shock - the rear spring will be nearly captive and the front will be captive (with variations on spring pads etc). Sometimes the stiffness (as in the amount it lets the trailing arm move when it is hanging) of the rear trailing arm bush will make a rear spring captive also.

You can't go wrong with this setup from Turner Motorsport. It won't be as badass as it can be without the sways/camber plates plus all the other goodies but it would be damn good and are quality bits. You'd also have the options of adding the rest of the kit later and know you are buying stuff that has springs matched to shocks matched to sways matched to caster/camber matched to re-inforcement bits.

TURNER MOTORSPORT J-STOCK SPRINGS

TURNER MOTORSPORT J-STOCK SHOCKS

COMPLETE J-STOCK KIT [ABOUT 3.5 K NZD LANDED]

We phoned Stocks http://www.georgestock.co.nz/index.html ... for ours

The rear adjustibles are infact ford / holden fitting part koni branded but fit the e30's rear shock mounts. (this is what was on the invoice from stocks)

you can't buy (from koni anyways) an e30 adjustible rear .. so they just use the ford / holden one. these are the same as used in the e30 race series cars.

you can buy two 'types' of koni's (if you already didnt know) FAQ from koni themselves

"The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts."

The rear shocks we use in the e30 series cars require you to drill the top mount out to 1/2 inch, they are falcon adjustables, seem very good for our use. We use them in combo with super low rear kingsprings, they just stay captive. Edited by Silver Fox

The rear shocks we use in the e30 series cars require you to drill the top mount out to 1/2 inch, they are falcon adjustables, seem very good for our use. We use them in combo with super low rear kingsprings, they just stay captive.

or grab these for koni's

Posted Image

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/Store...et=products.asp

f**k if this thread shouldn't b stickied then Nathan definatly ain't Gay..... B)

With all this gear we're looking at a seriously excellent handling e30

Edited by Gary

Just wondering here Josh, with the suspension you are running will it be suitable for driving on road or are you setting it up specifically for track/strip use?

um, both ... but its going to be a pretty hard ride. but you can always just get lesser pound springs and adjust the dampning down if you want a softer ride.. its really that simple. We already have in planning another set of eibachs for the drag strip for the rear.

Price as follows:

KBY progressive front shocks $388 a pair

Bilstein Shortened rear shocks $240 a pair

Custom progressive front coils $190 a pair

Custom progressive rear coils $190 a pair

Machining $210

All up $1218 + GST.

This is going to give a 30mm drop in the rear and a 35mm drop in the front.

If you don't want to drop it - just chuck bilstein sport or koni SA shocks in. This will handle better than 90% of the lowered setups.

KYBs are FTL.

Sounds expensive to me also.

If you don't want to drop it - just chuck bilstein sport or koni SA shocks in. This will handle better than 90% of the lowered setups.

KYBs are FTL.

Sounds expensive to me also.

I definatly want to drop it as it sits way too high for my liking.

FTL as the opposite to FTW?

Hmmm this guy works on Bmws all the time and has done numerous set ups for Bmws on th track.

Palmy is limited with it's options but for him to shorten konis would make it even more expensive.

Any other opinions on KYB shocks?

Cheers Mavrick

they are quite soft...nowhere near as good as bilstein/koni

They have been recommended to me.

There is a reason they are half the price.

I definatly want to drop it as it sits way too high for my liking.

FTL as the opposite to FTW?

Hmmm this guy works on Bmws all the time and has done numerous set ups for Bmws on th track.

Palmy is limited with it's options but for him to shorten konis would make it even more expensive.

Any other opinions on KYB shocks?

Cheers Mavrick

The Koni's are shorter than stock and the bilsteins I understand.

I (and now Carl) ran them with the jamex super dooper lows and they are captive, IIRC they were ~2" shorter in the front and back compared to Carls Boges.

I would definitely recommend the Koni's!!!

There is a reason they are half the price.

I used to think that too but Ive spoken to two groups of people, both of whom have built e30's to race, and both of them have been recommended KYB's by shock companies.

They have had nothing but good things to say after years of happy motoring both on the track and the road.

Im not saying that Bilsteins and Konis are rubbish (of course they arent) but are they really twice as good as KYB's in order to justify them being twice the price ?

IMO if your not belting around a track all day long and you can get 80-90% of the performance for 50% of the price then you are on to a winner.

The Koni's are shorter than stock and the bilsteins I understand.

I (and now Carl) ran them with the jamex super dooper lows and they are captive, IIRC they were ~2" shorter in the front and back compared to Carls Boges.

I would definitely recommend the Koni's!!!

From what the guy told me, the koni sports are no shorter than stock, so they would have to be shortened as well, i would like to take the koni path but i dont think my finaces will allow it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't m325i's come with bilsteins on all corners so they are already slightly lower than the average 325i....?

It's hard when you get so many different opinions...will have to make adecision sooner or later.

This set-up is purely for street purposes.

how much are bilstens to buy locally ? it is worthwhile importing from ebay and such ? (about i think US$600 for set of sport bilsteins + shipping - prolly another US$100) ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't m325i's come with bilsteins on all corners so they are already slightly lower than the average 325i....?

You should have bilsteins on all 4 unless someone has got in and changed them.

The front bilsteins should have a really thick piston rod, the rears should have stamping on the body even if the stickers are gone. Bilsteins casings are yellow (well, mine are anyway..)

I would try putting progressive springs into your current bilstein setup for starters and try that. Progressive springs will normally take up the slack esp with the small drop you are proposing so you won't have to shorten the shocks.

I'm sure you will find this setup ok for street use.

my 2c worth..

Will

Edited by will

You should have bilsteins on all 4 unless someone has got in and changed them.

The front bilsteins should have a really thick piston rod, the rears should have stamping on the body even if the stickers are gone. Bilsteins casings are yellow (well, mine are anyway..)

I would try putting progressive springs into your current bilstein setup for starters and try that. Progressive springs will normally take up the slack esp with the small drop you are proposing so you won't have to shorten the shocks.

I'm sure you will find this setup ok for street use.

my 2c worth..

Will

Cheers Will, second person to mention that, i know that it will sacrifice the ride quality but as you said it's just a small drop, and the financial side of things wouldn't take so much of a hit.

Would you recommend me getting the springs custom made for $380 (all four corners) or just a name brand?

Cheers Mavrick

Cheers Will, second person to mention that, i know that it will sacrifice the ride quality but as you said it's just a small drop, and the financial side of things wouldn't take so much of a hit.

Would you recommend me getting the springs custom made for $380 (all four corners) or just a name brand?

Cheers Mavrick

what are the average going rate of bilsteins and H&R Sports springs?

Cheers Mavrick

I have a lot of different spring makes (at least 6) in my various e30s and find the King in my 'vert to be the best imo. They are superlows and I have had the shocks shortened. Jamex are just too soft, Eibach far too harsh (but give good handling), Dobis far too soft etc. King seems to give a good all round ride. As I don't have experience with your custom made springs I can't really comment there. Try out a car with them in is your best bet.

again i ask

what are the average going rate of bilsteins and H&R Sports springs?

all i want is a reliable supplier 2 c bout them and a price cos im keen on getting me a set for my 325 make it handle better so i can fly through those corrnors ^_^

bilsteins around 1100, h&r's not sure but prob around 5-600?? a bit more expensive than 300 jamex or whatever but worth every penny..great road car springs. happy to take for a drive in my car if you want convincing!

apparently glenn, bontanymotorworx does them??

bilsteins around 1100, h&r's not sure but prob around 5-600?? a bit more expensive than 300 jamex or whatever but worth every penny..great road car springs. happy to take for a drive in my car if you want convincing!

apparently glenn, bontanymotorworx does them??

gus, i want a ride :)

as got bilsteins, anybody keen for a group buy ?

bilstein sports are US$385 for set, shipping is US$125, that's few hundys less than NZ$1100, mind you if we get like 3 or 4 sets shipping will be considerably lower, and possibly we'll get cheape price,if we get fewsets. I'm keen for one definitely.

as for springs, brand doesnt matter, as long as you get the similar height, similar spring rate IMHO...