Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

E60 530i vs E65 735

From what I have seen at work of Singapore BMW's I cant say I have seen any issues so far (apart from lower spec climate etc) but I have seen some scary sights on several MB's - cracked & perished trim rubbers & wiring with insulation literally breaking off the wire - a can of worms for the future. These issues have been on cars from only 3 - 6 years old too.

I have put lower spec climate control and perished rubber etc. in my list of questions to the sales guy. Thanks for that.

BMW Power, I think the sales people will be losing more sleep than me at the moment! One guy has just been in the job for a few days. And the E60 has been in the lot for awhile so they are keen to move it!

We'll see, big day tomorrow with lots of phone calls.

I have put lower spec climate control and perished rubber etc. in my list of questions to the sales guy. Thanks for that.

BMW Power, I think the sales people will be losing more sleep than me at the moment! One guy has just been in the job for a few days. And the E60 has been in the lot for awhile so they are keen to move it!

Good luck sir!

Hopefully you come back with something nice!

Isn't the Armstrong's one a Jap import? The plate is too young for a 2002 and number plate area at the boot is for Japanese and America market (smaller). I know, I'm a BMW geek :rolleyes:

You are right, that one is an import. But there is another one in indentical colour combination, with the nicer star 19" alloys and standard wheel base at the Rick Armstrong Motors yard, which is definately NZ new. The one Emma pointed out is at Armstrong Prestige in ChCh.

Make sure they know you are in the Car Club,I would still go for a five,I think the Sevens are just too complex,electrically.530D with sports pack....

Right, scrunch time!!

Who around here knows about a good third party warranty that WILL cover cars like E60 (or E65).

Problem: with cars this complex the issue mainly will rise from software needing to be upgraded. However the upgraded software sometimes can't be run on the existing hardware. Meaning that the hardware needs to be replaced as well. The warranty company balks at replacing the hardware while it's fine with the software upgrade. So which warranty company is used in dealing with this kind of issue, and will pay! And the one without any excess.

TIA

At the moment it's like this E60 ----|-- E65 because of BMW Premium Selection warranty.

BTW, look at this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=92430617. Have spoken with the owner, the only things are missing service book, and it had had a (small) fire near the exhaust where the fuel line came off.

The owner offered to drive to Palmy for inspection.

Edited by 318Touring

i would in the same situation get the bmw warranty...make sure it covers electrical issues....sell when it expires,but you will prolly take an absolute hammering in value...Why not get that nice blue e39 from Jeff Grays???Do you want a newer car or you want a change as well?

When changing I'd like to get something that is completely different not just upgrading the year.

I am still undecided, although I think the E65 will lose more than the E60 because it's a Sing import and older, and the E60 is 10k below whatever BMW is selling for. Although $ is not the main deciding factor.

However I still have 14 hrs to choose ..... Eni Meeni Mini Mo

Singapore import is definitely a factor counting against the E65. Perhaps go to a few Euro dealers and ask if they would trade a Singa 7, that'll give you an indication of whether they would actually trade or not.

Is your heart set on both of these two vehicles? How long have you spent looking?

If you havent spent long looking id suggest look harder maybe? Like the saying goes:

"A car today would be nice but a car tommorow would be better"

Singapore import is definitely a factor counting against the E65.

Exactly

Is your heart set on both of these two vehicles? How long have you spent looking?

About a year. I looked at X5s first then realising that to get the TV I need to get the 4.4 which I think is too much for me.

Don't really want another E39, while the new 3 is still very expensive and spec-wise, quite low while paying $70k +

X3 is too ugly.

That leaves the E60 and E65 which will give me the new toys.

Of course you can count E240/E500 as well, but ALL reviews say 'very good car but ..... still can't beat E60'.

M-class, very agricultural.

Audi A4s, FWD unless Quattro but no cruise-control......

So there you go, kind of hard finding the perfect wo ... car.

That Toledo Blue is a Jap Import.. stay away.. stay very away.

You will never be happy owning a Jap E65 as the cluster and display

looks chrap as they are a different design to cope with the Jap

characters. Not to mention Nav doesnt work and you

will need to fit a band expander.

We have had a good run with Driveright and Lumley

warrenties. I can check but I think their the good ones.

Go the E60 bro... choice looking cars. E65 are dating

already and no one wants a second hand E65 as the

Service plan isnt tranferrable to the new owner. Espec

a singapore one. We do atleast 1 a week with a serious oil

leak!! P.O.S!!!

Oww and stay away from 2nd hand V8 X5, ultra expensive

to maintain.

Edited by AntonyG

We have had a good run with Driveright and Lumley

warrenties. I can check but I think their the good ones.

We do atleast 1 a week with a serious oil

leak!! P.O.S!!!

I think DriveRight has a maximum claim limit of $5000 per claim. Hmmm that'll buy one bolt :-)

Is the oil leak a common problem on Sing E65?

The E60 sales guy called at least 15 times from 9 to about 2, unfortunately I was in (different) meetings all that time. He at least managed to get me at 5pm!!

Re X5, that's what I figured. Although I need a vehicle to go skiing, I'll just jump on the shuttle bus to go up to the ski fields.

Edited by 318Touring

The 745 on trademe looks nice and cheap but its a bit dirty isnt it ? Never understand why people dont clean there cars before selling them.

Just out of interest I saw a couple of E65 in Lower Hutt over the weekend, didnt pay much attention but both very nice and both under 60k. Obviously I dont know if that suits your budget but if you havent seen them perhaps its a chance to check out two more to see how they are.

The 745 on trademe looks nice and cheap but its a bit dirty isnt it ? Never understand why people dont clean there cars before selling them.

Just out of interest I saw a couple of E65 in Lower Hutt over the weekend, didnt pay much attention but both very nice and both under 60k. Obviously I dont know if that suits your budget but if you havent seen them perhaps its a chance to check out two more to see how they are.

For $45K? I don't mind a dirty car if I can save $20k plus :-)

I know about the L Hutt one, that's also a Sing import, more expensive than JG's and doesn't have any warranty. A very bad combination.

What would concern me about a luxury motor looking like that is that if the owner doesnt bother to keep it clean what else dont they bother to do.

For me 45k is a massive drop on what these cars are worth, so whats the catch ? Im not saying there is anything wrong with it, but simple things like that start my alarm bells ringing.

What would concern me about a luxury motor looking like that is that if the owner doesnt bother to keep it clean what else dont they bother to do.

For me 45k is a massive drop on what these cars are worth, so whats the catch ? Im not saying there is anything wrong with it, but simple things like that start my alarm bells ringing.

See my previous post for summary of my conversation with the old boy.

The long story is, he's bought this privately. Never really uses it due to the people vandalising cars. He drives his Honda hybrid around town. He doesn't want to use the bimmer to tow his boat. Never get the hang of iDrive, has the car for 2 years and just managed to get the radio stations set (this was done by his grandkids).

As I said he offered to drive to Palmy 'under no obligation' if I want to take a look at the car. He's been servicing it at JG Palmy. When asked about the servicing costs he didn't remember.

I don't know, could be a real good catch. From talking to the owner he seems genuine and not trying to pull a fast one. I asked same questions backwards and forwards and the answers were still the same.

BAD: no service book, and the fire under the car

GOOD: NZ new, 745 (no simple climate control), cheap

Another good bargain is that X5 at WCD in L Hutt. The only issues with that truck are: missing pixels, bonnet color imperfection, and one of the rear PDC has died. For $55k? It's a bargain.

BTW, the missus is also leaning towards to the E60 now, mainly due to the posts on this thread.

The E-meter

E60 -|---- E65

Edited by 318Touring

keep looking for an e 60 then,OR get the 745 checked by jeff gray at PM ,a proper 90 minute inspection,and go from there.

keep looking for an e 60 then,OR get the 745 checked by jeff gray at PM ,a proper 90 minute inspection,and go from there.

I'll probably go with the E60 since it's '03 with only 36000km and NZ new! I'll get a good warranty but will be non BMW unfortunately.

I don't want the 745 although martyyn might be interested?

We got an intense BMW inspection, 90 minute, for our E36 and it f**ked itself 3 weeks later and bam $6000 bill.BMW doesnt have Extra Sensory Perception as i said before.

Keep looking for another E60 or E65, Singa import as we keep saying, no matter how much you check it, cars break down when THEY want to, not when YOU want them to.

Done!

E60 2003 530iSE, 36000km, ex-demo and 1 local owner, 18 inch wheels, auto rain and lights, Olivin on black, FSH and other stuff as usual. No TV or sat-nav.

Warranty will go with AA-Vero with 3 years cover, $125 excess(?).

Will post more pictures in the Rides section when I actually take delivery. Now where's my Meguiars wax .....

The E65 has actually just arrived in JG Wellington, in case anyone wants to see it.

Here are the pictures

post-38-1174454876_thumb.jpg

post-38-1174454889_thumb.jpg

Edited by 318Touring

Good move mate!!! Have you checked that your local BMW dealer is

apprvoed by the warrenty company you are going to use??

Yes, Singapore E65 leak oil. They are shocking cars, badly specd

and ultra unreliable.

Glad you brought the E60. I work on heaps of them and their

generally pretty bloody good, especially fitted with the silky smooth

M54B30!!!! E65's look dated already, especially if they have the

orange indicators and those budget looking wheels.. owww

Good move dude, you made the right choice!

If its got 18" runflats, keep close watch on your wheel allignment

and tyre pressures!! Particularlly the rear.

Good move mate!!! Have you checked that your local BMW dealer is

apprvoed by the warrenty company you are going to use??

Yes, Singapore E65 leak oil. They are shocking cars, badly specd

and ultra unreliable.

Glad you brought the E60. I work on heaps of them and their

generally pretty bloody good, especially fitted with the silky smooth

M54B30!!!! E65's look dated already, especially if they have the

orange indicators and those budget looking wheels.. owww

Good move dude, you made the right choice!

If its got 18" runflats, keep close watch on your wheel allignment

and tyre pressures!! Particularlly the rear.

Thank you for the vote of confidence!!

Both the local BMW dealer and independent BMW garage actually recommended the AA-Swann insurance. However It's now changed to AA-Vero so hopefully I'll get the same good service.

I (hope) don't think its got run flat (I hate them) as it has the space saver spare tyre. It rides like a normal car.

At the moment I'm dismantling my clear lights etc. from the E39, so anyone who wants rear and side clear lights, PM me (self promotion). I also have BMW genuine rubber front mats (new $150).

And what may I ask are you planning to do with the e39 ?

It's traded in that's why the dismantling of aftermarket parts (and euro plates).

Good sh*t mate!

Gosh, Im relevied to see that E60 under you rides belt rather than E65. E60's are mint machines, this one looks great and is quite induvidual.

Im really loving it, Its incredibly nice. Well done.

NZ New FTW.