Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Insurance costs on your BMW

So are they upping just the Euros or everything in general? If Euro only, why just the Euros?

Everything Euro including BMW, Merc, VW, Peugeot, Ferrari, Porsche, Opel etc - these cars are higher risk in terms of parts.

Japs, Holden & Ford (apart from Focus etc) will be the same apart from Lexus

Guest Denny Crane

I find it difficult to believe that our insurance prices are going up... reason? We are not a country that requires compulsory insurance, unlike england and the states.

European insurance prices are high... entscheidend states that this is because parts are more expensive... but they shouldn't be, because most european car makers are in Europe...

I'm with threeoneeight, I am of the opinion that the people will vote with their feet. I can easily see where a car like mine would cost over 3.5K a year to insure based on his prediction. In the words of a certain beer ad, yea right.

I find it difficult to believe that our insurance prices are going up... reason? We are not a country that requires compulsory insurance, unlike england and the states.

European insurance prices are high... entscheidend states that this is because parts are more expensive... but they shouldn't be, because most european car makers are in Europe...

I'm with threeoneeight, I am of the opinion that the people will vote with their feet. I can easily see where a car like mine would cost over 3.5K a year to insure based on his prediction. In the words of a certain beer ad, yea right.

Your right about we are in a country that doesnt require compulsory insurance... thats what they are wanting to change. The rest of the western nations charge high but not NZ. This will make it easier when it comes to claims where TP dont have insurance.

XY want to be the first and the rest will follow, we are currently implementing a change of products and policy wording to X, Y- this will roll out shortly which is an extemded platform from Insurer A in Australia. (2 months)

If you are a customer of X/Y and your policy is due for renewal in the next 12 months - you will notice a huge change to what your covered for and as well as your premium - READ IT to cover your selves.

The old products/premiums will phase out once all business on the old books (current) will transfer over the new products.

The other insurers are following.

Ok, I have said far too much.....you guys are the first in the country to know.

Im not full of sh*t, believe if you want or dont, your choice .... Im just helping with Andrews query and this thread with inside stuff.

Happy insuring guys

Edited by entscheidend

Still trying to get my head round the differences there will be with life in NZ I'm surprised insurance is not compulsory - it has been in the UK for as long as I can remember. How does it work if you choose not to insure, and more importantly what happens if you're hit by someone who has no insurance?

Something else that occurred to me as missing is job - in the UK what you do for a living makes a huge difference to what you pay (along with what you drive, where you live, where you park, what your driving record is like and how old you are). I guess it all goes to help judge the risk against a profile of claims the insurers build up.

Even in the UK insurers make a loss on car insurance. It's mainly because of people driving without insurance (illegally) and getting involved in accidents (something that is more common now we use dumb cameras to monitor speed rather than proper police with brains and judgement) and also because we are riddled with ambulance chasers offering to sue the guilty party on a no-win no-fee basis and getting loads of money out of them that inflates claims. At least in NZ that seemed to be thankfully absent from every ad-break on satellite TV.

In the UK parts for things like BMW, Audi, VW etc. are more expensive than Ford, Vauxhall (GM in the UK) or the Jap brands. German and French are the most expensive for parts here, just like they probably are in NZ. Dunno why that is for French as French cars need so many parts all the time to keep them running you'd think they'd be really cheap and they aren't close to worth it. I think the real reason is that Ford and Vauxhall are big players in company car and rental fleets and fleet managers like to see cheap running and repair costs, so they keep the cost of parts down. That said the biggest selling car in the UK for the last couple of years is the 3-series - seriously.

For an example then:

The majority of this forum is under 25 - with a euro car valued around the 10k mark.

Assuming clean record - and you are 21. What sort of premium increase will be seen?

(Very general I know - but there must be a rough %)

They are going up.

My grandad just had a letter from his insurance company (SIS) they are upping his premium $100, another $100 on what they added last year. Its for a 2000 Mazda Capella. He has NCB for life and has had made NO claims EVER. He rung SIS and told them to stick it up there ass.

He is now with AMI paying Just over $100 LESS than the ORIGIONAL price he was paying with SIS.

Pick a GOOD company and stick with them. If you have all your assets insured with a company it will lower your overall premium dramatically.

From this thread, Id be picking AMI or BNZ bank insurance.

They seem to be stable and offer good prices on bulk deals.

How does it work if you choose not to insure, and more importantly what happens if you're hit by someone who has no insurance?

Baseball Bat + Kneecaps

Or

File the incident with the courts and they will receive a summons, if they do not appear or have valid reason etc for the crash and the judge finds them guilty the courts will re-imburse you for the costs and they are forced to pay the courts.

Ive heard of people paying the courts back at $10 a week.

Insurance should be compulsory. I like Aussies scheme of insurance/registration etc.

Seems to work well from what i have seen/heard

For an example then:

The majority of this forum is under 25 - with a euro car valued around the 10k mark.

Assuming clean record - and you are 21. What sort of premium increase will be seen?

(Very general I know - but there must be a rough %)

Hard to say because there are so many different factors as to how it rates your premium.

Its a $60 Million software platform that does the job.

Basically, it will take into account how many speeding tickets youve had, where you live, secuity, finance on car, how you pay, accidents in past, how may drivers you have on policy, licence, mods, type of car, mileage and it goes on ...

Areas in Auckland most to least expensive:

1. South Auckland $$$$

2. Central Auckland (Waiheke)

3. West Auckland

4. North Shore

5. East Auckland $

Im guessing there will be an increase of anywhere from 5 - 50%

i will have a play around tomorrow and work out some average premiums.

18 - 25 Year old?

BMW E30 - mostly 318 - 325M?

$10,000 value?

Immobilsed?

This is the majority of everyone here?

Wellingtonians -

1. Lower HUtt

2. Upper hutt

3. Wellington CBD area

4. Johnsonville

Rest of the country apart from Christchurch ... do you guys have tarcel roads or gravel?

Edited by entscheidend

Oooh, that sounds like it's worth $60 million! I take back all my doubtfulness, and will put together a muffin basket immediately to express my extreme gratitude and subservience to your greatness in the realms of common sense and practicality!

I live in Waterloo, Lower Hutt- your so called 'most expensive' area of Wellington in terms of insurance risk. I have security gates, a secure garage, 24 hour monitored alarms, and many ambassadors to this er, fine, country live within 500 metres of me, which by international law regarding diplomatic residences, requires regular police patrols, and no doubt extra security at their own expense too. I can't recall a single burglary down my street in memory. My work carpark is also in a secure compound, 50 metres from the police station... But no doubt, I'll pay the same as the guy in Wainuiomata- to the unaquainted, well, just thank yourself you're not acquainted- with his 'hori' neighbours and lax attitude to leaving his keys in the car while partaking in problem gambling and minor benefit fraud. Though his policy will be cheaper because I have a BMW and he has an VL Commodore. Dang it, he probably can't be f**ked paying insurance anyway- more the fool me!

You guys are like so clever! Insurance guy for Prime Minister!

Oooh, that sounds like it's worth $60 million! I take back all my doubtfulness, and will put together a muffin basket immediately to express my extreme gratitude and subservience to your greatness in the realms of common sense and practicality!

I live in Waterloo, Lower Hutt- your so called 'most expensive' area of Wellington in terms of insurance risk. I have security gates, a secure garage, 24 hour monitored alarms, and many ambassadors to this er, fine, country live within 500 metres of me, which by international law regarding diplomatic residences, requires regular police patrols, and no doubt extra security at their own expense too. I can't recall a single burglary down my street in memory. My work carpark is also in a secure compound, 50 metres from the police station... But no doubt, I'll pay the same as the guy in Wainuiomata- to the unaquainted, well, just thank yourself you're not acquainted- with his 'hori' neighbours and lax attitude to leaving his keys in the car while partaking in problem gambling and minor benefit fraud. Though his policy will be cheaper because I have a BMW and he has an VL Commodore. Dang it, he probably can't be f**ked paying insurance anyway- more the fool me!

You sound like those pain in the butt customers that want to speak to a senior manager .. when ever I get them I have a good gaze out the window at rangitoto and count the boats .. I must admit I do that that with Telecom and I know Im wasting my time and wont get no where.

No offense threeoneeight, you seem quite annoyed with insurance ... bad experience?

Im on this forum like you because I love my cars ... not here as a complaint line for Insurance

Im just sharing what I know ... I dont make the rules, charge the premium ... I just sit on my arse and get paid ... haha ....(not from the premium everyone pays - my policies pay for my salary)

Edited by entscheidend

I've had a few administrative problems with insurance companies- was being charged more than i should have because a computer got my address wrong... and another time they cancelled the policy a day after I took it out, well, the computer did... you can see the pattern. I don't trust computer programmes! They always seem to have commerce degrees!

Bascically my annoyance sits with stupid people. They're the ones who make us have insurance in the first place. I blame poor breeding and texting.

I've had a few administrative problems with insurance companies- was being charged more than i should have because a computer got my address wrong... and another time they cancelled the policy a day after I took it out, well, the computer did... you can see the pattern. I don't trust computer programmes! They always seem to have commerce degrees!

Bascically my annoyance sits with stupid people. They're the ones who make us have insurance in the first place. I blame poor breeding and texting.

Good point .. fair enough.

Im not one of the stupid people? I work hard and pay my taxes so these wonderful immigrants come to this country and live off it without working ... plus support the ones who sit around doing f**k all and make more babies without the same father.

Some government we have ...

Personally I'm opposed to children, father- figureless or otherwise. They ruin upholstery.

Thats why I have leather, my son ruins everything.

Guest Denny Crane

I agreed with you once, now you're being a dick.

If I were entscheidend, i'd tell you to get f**ked.

Guest Denny Crane

A vasectomy is cheaper than specifying leather in a new BMW. But whatever satisfies you!

No one would steal your car because its a 31tiddler. If i were insurance company, i'd give you a super low premium, if you know what I mean.

Guest Denny Crane

But no doubt, I'll pay the same as the guy in Wainuiomata- to the unaquainted, well, just thank yourself you're not acquainted- with his 'hori' neighbours and lax attitude to leaving his keys in the car while partaking in problem gambling and minor benefit fraud. Though his policy will be cheaper because I have a BMW and he has an VL Commodore. Dang it, he probably can't be f**ked paying insurance anyway- more the fool me!

Hey thanks for the generalisation you supremacist. anything else you wanna get of your chest, may as well, hell those darkies can't even read, right <_<

Wow this went from a good discussion to war of the worlds in seconds (well probably hours) Come on guys stop bickering like 5 year olds and get on track!!

Personally I'm opposed to children, father- figureless or otherwise. They ruin upholstery.

A vasectomy is cheaper than specifying leather in a new BMW. But whatever satisfies you!

In your case it looks like someone threw the good bit away and raised the afterbirth!! Certainly hope you are NEVER able to breed. You certainly fit the description of oxygen thief..

Car Year/Model: 1989 325i

Insured value: $3500

Driving Record: Clean

Insurance company: State

Insurance type (3rd party or full): 3rd Party Fire & Theft

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Nil

Yearly premium (inc GST): $582.52

Excess: I will find out

Comments on customer service: Really good so far, way better than NAC

Car Year/Model: 2001 320i

Insured value: $19,000

Driving Record: Flawless

Insurance company: ASB

Insurance type (3rd party or full): Full

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Windscreen

Yearly premium (inc GST): $1,096

Excess: $300, with $500 theft excess

Comments on customer service: OK i guess, havn't had to claim yet so nothing to report :)

car year/model: 95 4door m3

insured value: $26000

driving record :fairly av lost licence when 19 4 demiret points lots of speeding fines no drunk driving though pretty clean in recent years having kids seems to calm me down somewhat still like my grunt though.

insurance company: NAC

insurance type: full

additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen)

premium: $1700 would be less but my missis is 21

excess:$500 crash $700 theft

seem to have good service so far.

Car/Year/Model: 1989 e30 320i 4dr.

Insured value: $3.5 grand (not much lol)

Driving record: 1 speeding fine which landed me

30 demerits, and a rego and wof fine on my old project,

other than that, clean.

Insurance company: Westpac (dont know specifically)

Insurance type: Third party only, insured my car with

mods so had to go for 3rd party only,

Excess: $300 + $700 if in at fault.

I pay a whopping $14.00 a fortnight.

Sweet as...

A question to you all, when you insured your cars, did the underwriters ask you any stupid questions??? My random question for the day was, has there been any mass flooding at your residence in the last 5 years???

Edited by QuickSilver