Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Insurance costs on your BMW

Car Year/Model: 1995 318i

Insured value: ---

Driving Record: no speeding tickets

Insurance company: NAC

Insurance type (3rd party or full): 3rd party Couldn't afford full everyone wanted $1200 a yr and 2k excess

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): nothing

Yearly premium (inc GST): $250

Excess: $1000

Comments on customer service: Not bad, although they don't advise when any payments have been received..

How do you guys all seem to get decent prices on full insurance? most companies either reject me or want $1k in premiums and 2k excess

Car Year/Model: 1988 320i

Insured value: $5000

Driving Record: Good

Insurance company: AMI

Insurance type (3rd party or full): 3rd simply because I don't want to pay them more - no claims so touch wood!

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Excess free Windscreen, fire and theft.

Yearly premium (inc GST): $160 ~

Excess: $250

Comments on customer service: Great, 3 years no claims has benefits! Whoa i'm pretty much the same deal as Mike. Roadside with AA - they must make a killing.

Edited by nz320i Chris

Definite theme here - some of you pay quite a bit. It is simply amazing how different insurance companies can be, especially for cars over 10 years old.

This is a great premium for a 19 yo!

Car Year/Model: 1994 E36 M3

Insured value: $21,000

Driving Record: 1 Speeding Ticket

Insurance company:Wrightson

Insurance type (3rd party or full): Full

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Windscreen, not sure about roadside.. Just use AA

Yearly premium (inc GST): $500

Excess: $700

Comments on customer service: Go the farm insurance!

Car Year/Model: e30 M3

Insured value: $30,000

Driving Record: 1 Speeding Ticket

Insurance company:Famous Car Insurance

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Windscreen, agreed value, choice of repairer, first right to purchase wreck, fully insured for driving training/educational days - even on race tracks, After one year they moved me to A1 rating - so guaranteed no claims bonus even if at fault - not bad for only being insured for 1.5 years...

Yearly premium (inc GST): $1050

Excess: $Low

Comments on customer service: A+ Sellar, would use again.

Ash

Car Year/Model: 1989 BMW 316iA

Insured value: $3000

Driving Record: clean

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): -

Yearly premium (inc GST): $665

Excess: $250

Comments on customer service: Great

Can anyone recommend a place to go get insurance from, I got a quote from ASB insurance yesturday of $2194.44 to insure the 325, kind of dont want to have to pay that much aye haha

Car Year/Model: 1987, 320i

Insured value: Market ($3000)

Driving Record: 2 speeding fines

Insurance type (3rd party or full): 3rd party - fire and theft

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): glass cover, zero excess on theft,

Yearly premium (inc GST): $192 (includes 60% no claims bonus discount)

Excess: $500

Comments on customer service: fan bloody tastic

Jeez - just reading through this to get a handle on what I can expect in NZ compared with Blighty. As a contrast for you all (using about $2.75 = £1):

Car Year/Model: 2002/530d Touring

Insured value: Market ($25000)

Driving Record: Clean (at the time I started the policy anyway :rolleyes: )

Insurance company: Elephant

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): glass cover, NCD protection, 80,000km per year including "Class 1" business use (no commercial samples to be carried basically)

Yearly premium (inc GST): $1700 (includes 60% no claims bonus discount)

Excess: $1300

Comments on customer service: not had to use it really. Consider factory nav and factory optional 17" wheels as declarable mods

Car Year/Model: 93 318i

Insured value: 7000

Driving Record: 2 speeding fines, one ticket for dangerous driving,

Insurance company: Lumley (westpac)

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): dunno

Yearly premium (inc GST): 1234ish

Excess: 300

Comments on customer service: ok so far. State wouldnt insure me because of wheels and sterreo

Jeez - just reading through this to get a handle on what I can expect in NZ compared with Blighty. As a contrast for you all (using about $2.75 = £1):

Car Year/Model: 2002/530d Touring

Insured value: Market ($25000)

Driving Record: Clean (at the time I started the policy anyway :rolleyes: )

Insurance company: Elephant

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): glass cover, NCD protection, 80,000km per year including "Class 1" business use (no commercial samples to be carried basically)

Yearly premium (inc GST): $1700 (includes 60% no claims bonus discount)

Excess: $1300

Comments on customer service: not had to use it really. Consider factory nav and factory optional 17" wheels as declarable mods

With myself being in the insurance industry .... just a heads up guys with what you can expect with your premiums .... No matter who you are with with your with the banks, Tower, AA, State your premiums are going to have a huge increase due to NZ being behind the rest of the world.

For example, If you pay $600 annualy for your premium here in NZ, in Australia you would pay $3500 AUD, in the UK as above etc.

So in 12 - 24 months .. start saving people ...Im not kidding

Car Year/Model: 1989, 320i

Insured value: $3,500

Driving Record: No convictions, but in excess of 7+ speeding tickets, Full license year and a half

Insurance company: Tower

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): glass cover, zero excess on theft [with alarm on]

Yearly premium (inc GST): $420

Excess: $300

Comments on customer service: Sweet, I let my dad handle since we are 'joint' owners.

Don't get me started on costs for my subbie.

Edited by JP

How do you guys all seem to get decent prices on full insurance? most companies either reject me or want $1k in premiums and 2k excess

Maybe Location has something to do with it, if you have it garaged and alarmed, what licence you hold, if there are lots of mods, if you have insured with them before, crash/claims history, but what they are asking from you is over the top. Try ringing again and getting somebody different as everyone has good days and bad days! :)

With myself being in the insurance industry .... just a heads up guys with what you can expect with your premiums .... No matter who you are with with your with the banks, Tower, AA, State your premiums are going to have a huge increase due to NZ being behind the rest of the world.

For example, If you pay $600 annualy for your premium here in NZ, in Australia you would pay $3500 AUD, in the UK as above etc.

So in 12 - 24 months .. start saving people ...Im not kidding

Im not saying you dont know your sh*t but if that happened in NZ most insurance companies would go down, who in there right mind would pay that yearly. Maybe house/contents might rise but cars, I doubt it.

Im not saying you dont know your sh*t but if that happened in NZ most insurance companies would go down, who in there right mind would pay that yearly. Maybe house/contents might rise but cars, I doubt it.

I cant say too much here, if insurance companies are planning to do this and be like the Aussies and poms, they will do it.

It aint up to the consumer, If someone is need of insurance because of peace of mind or as security for a finance co. we have no choice but too pay it.

Cars are a higher risk, especially the 16 to 24 year old bracket - there are thousands of claims each month

I guess we just have to sit tight then huh. Hopefully if it does happen by that stage we will all have a 5% pay rise. :)

I guess we just have to sit tight then huh. Hopefully if it does happen by that stage we will all have a 5% pay rise. :)

Move to Iraq or somewhere like that or buy a moped

I can't see prices going up too much in NZ. Whilst I don't work in the insurance business (fortunately some might say!), the NZ market is so different from Australia and the UK. We're more like the USA in terms of the automobile scene/market, and think nothing of younger people enjoying their fun cars, rather than a Hyundai Accent (AUS) or a Citroen Saxo 1.1 (UK). The consumer will decide. It's the same with new car prices in the UK- the UK consumer loves to be ripped off! New Zealanders won't stand for it!

I can't see prices going up too much in NZ. Whilst I don't work in the insurance business (fortunately some might say!), the NZ market is so different from Australia and the UK. We're more like the USA in terms of the automobile scene/market, and think nothing of younger people enjoying their fun cars, rather than a Hyundai Accent (AUS) or a Citroen Saxo 1.1 (UK). The consumer will decide. It's the same with new car prices in the UK- the UK consumer loves to be ripped off! New Zealanders won't stand for it!

Sorry 318, I have to disagree strongly with you here. X, Y has been running at NZ rates along with the other insurers. All Insurers and banks (banks insurance - ASB, Westpac, BNZ, ANZ are underwritten by IAG, Lumley; Vero etc ..... all the insurers are Australian. NZ is nothing like the states, premiums are mainly rated here in NZ by where you live an age, USA/Canada is more around the value and type of vehicle.

For instance, in the next few months if you are with X / Y your premiums are going to based on what you drive and as well as your history...ie:

Vehicle: 2001 BMW X5

Value: 65,000

Premium: $1500

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fairlane

Value: $65,000

Premium: $550

At the moment, Both cars for Freddy would be $550 annually as a premium

See the difference?? Euro cars are going to b tough and if you hold a learners or restricted or Under 25 years old

But hey ... if you want to think It aint going to change because NZ is too small etc thats up to you ... Im just giving you guys a heads up, Ive seen whats on the plans

Edited by entscheidend

Greed makes the world go round, I guess! Hopefully by then, I'll be in a nice tax-haven away from people with commerce degrees. Take the E30 over in a crate.

Greed makes the world go round, I guess! Hopefully by then, I'll be in a nice tax-haven away from people with commerce degrees. Take the E30 over in a crate.

Take it to Greenland and you willl be sweet.

Money makes the world go round....

Haha, when you present me with conclusive proof that insurance companies are making a loss out of New Zealand operations, I'll pay higher premiums without question.

Haha, when you present me with conclusive proof that insurance companies are making a loss out of New Zealand operations, I'll pay higher premiums without question.

They wont, just a friendly letter from the CEO stating premiums have gone up

Exactly- you nor they can justify it- that's why I used the word "Greed" rather than "Money"! I haven't come across any "Insurance Company Executives In Crisis" charity bakestalls recently.

Unless I'm a shareholder, a letter from a CEO is never friendly.

Car Year/Model: 1997 328

Insured value: $25000 (must change that)

Driving Record: Clean

Insurance company: NZI

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Roadside rescue,windscreen,Under 25 exclusion,named driver,multiple policy discount,66% no claims discount.

Yearly premium (inc GST): $886.56

Excess: $300

Comments on customer service: Untested.

Also a policy on a commercial vehicle (1999 falcon ute) with much the same set up but dosnt include under 25 exclusion :$454.24 yearly with $500 excess.

So theyre already upping the euros.

Car Year/Model: 1998 318i e46

Insured value: $12000

Driving Record: DIC for 3 months a year ago, 1 speeding ticket

Insurance company: Pioneer

Additional features of insurance (road side rescue, windscreen): Unlimited free windscreen replacement

Yearly premium (inc GST): $572

Excess: $1200, once I turn 21 down to $600

Comments on customer service: Excellent. So far.

Was quoted crazy prices by some!! 1800 by state, over 2000 by ASB Bank. This was the cheapest by miles. So cheap i think they may have stuffed it up somehow haha <_<

So are they upping just the Euros or everything in general? If Euro only, why just the Euros?