Sign in to follow this  
m_power

m42 is engine into e30

I am thinking about putting an m42 engine in my e30 and want to know whats involved. I know the 318is e30 used the same engine as the e36 318is so would a e36 318is engine bolt into any e30 easily with out modfication? And also it it easy to get 155 ish hp out of them?

Also would the gearbox out of my m10 318 manual fit up to it? i know its a long shot but just woundering?

Edited by M10_E30

I am thinking about putting an m42 engine in my e30 and want to know whats involved. I know the 318is e30 used the same engine as the e36 318is so would a e36 318is engine bolt into any e30 easily with out modfication? And also it it easy to get 155 ish hp out of them?

Also would the gearbox out of my m10 318 manual fit up to it? i know its a long shot but just woundering?

Basically the e36 item doesn't fit (for so many reasons).

And no - the m10 gearbox doesn't fit. The 6 cylinder boxes do (with modification) Getrag 240/260 - and so do the E30 4 cylinder boxes from M40 (Getrag 240).

I have an m42 with 300hp that would bolt right in?

Basically the e36 item doesn't fit (for so many reasons).

And no - the m10 gearbox doesn't fit. The 6 cylinder boxes do (with modification) Getrag 240/260 - and so do the E30 4 cylinder boxes from M40 (Getrag 240).

I have an m42 with 300hp that would bolt right in?

I think that would be a BIT out of my price range...

i have a artical in a bmw uk mag . they say pretty hard to get more power out of the M42 or M44 with out spending heaps of $$$$$.

they reckon better to just upgrade to 6cylinder engine like 2.5 l m20 or 2.7L m20 or maybe go with M50 2.5l etc .

i have a good M30 3.5L engine which will bolt to your M10 gearbox .

came from a 1990 535i e34 only done 140K .

will come with loom etc , has the right sump to fit to e30 etc ..

http://www.e30.de/335e.htmlink

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

i have a artical in a bmw uk mag . they say pretty hard to get more power out of the M42 or M44 with out spending heaps of $$$$$.

they reckon better to just upgrade to 6cylinder engine like 2.5 l m20 or 2.7L m20 or maybe go with M50 2.5l etc .

i have a good M30 3.5L engine which will bolt to your M10 gearbox .

came from a 1990 535i e34 only done 140K .

will come with loom etc , has the right sump to fit to e30 etc ..

http://www.e30.de/335e.htmlink

How is it that the m10 manual bolts up to a m30? And what would i need to get it running? engine mounts...etcwhat would be involved extacly? and it would have to get a low volume cert. aye?

How is it that the m10 manual bolts up to a m30? And what would i need to get it running? engine mounts...etcwhat would be involved extacly? and it would have to get a low volume cert. aye?

M10, M30, S14 gearboxes are all similar (bolt pattern at least)

M30 is a horrible way to get power in my opinion (because they have none).

If you want more power - by far the easiest way is to buy a 325. It is not worth the $$ to put one in a 318 unless you have all the bits handy.

What are the bits that are different betwween fitting an e36 318is engine in an e30?

What are the bits that are different betwween fitting an e36 318is engine in an e30?

The important bits, wiring loom, engine mounts, gearbox, accessories.

I wouldn't do it unless I had an E36 donor car.

The important bits, wiring loom, engine mounts, gearbox, accessories.

I wouldn't do it unless I had an E36 donor car.

Well thats what i was thinking of doing and then once im done with the donor car i would sell the parts that were not needed to lessen the cost of the overall project, what do 318is standard go like? i heard they are preyty nice and nible. Edited by M10_E30

Yo, i sold my m42 with a manual box to james ( surge ) think he's got it still and was getting rid of it possibly for a m50....try him. It was Mint.

And yeah nimble but wont be as good as a 2.5, do the iS conversion if your going to strip your car and make it lightweight it would be so cool!

Edited by nz320i Chris

Yo, i sold my m42 with a manual box to james ( surge ) think he's got it still and was getting rid of it possibly for a m50....try him. It was Mint.

And yeah nimble but wont be as good as a 2.5, do the iS conversion if your going to strip your car and make it lightweight it would be so cool!

I think i am going to get a crashed e36 318is so i know i have everything, but thanks anyway. I am getting an mtech kit hopfully this weekend, and jamex 40mm springs, im gona turn into a track day/daily driver but have standard interior and just take it out 4 track days. I might get some extractors and free flow system for it as well, cold air box to. Should be a nice little unit once its done, hopfully getting the car when my dad goes to japan in mid year, then get the e36 striped out and put the engine in the e30 in the christmas holidays.

If the e36 M42s have the same headers as the E30's I doubt you'll be able to improve much on the OEM items, they're pretty nice from factory.

Oh yep.....maybe some other future plans will be needed :rolleyes:

I think i am going to get a crashed e36 318is so i know i have everything

I think there are some clearance problems when fitting a E36 M42 into a E30. The E30 M42's have different shaped intake manifolds, the E36 intake will hit the E30 bonnet

Some more things to watch are the sump bulge on the e30 m42 is at the opposite end on the e36 so you will need a sump from an e30 and not too sure that it will bolt straight on, also the loom and ecu on the e36 is on the left hand side and you will have to make room for that as the e30's is on the right and there is not a lot of room there for it you may have to cut the firewall to put it in.You would have to spend some more dollars to get it above 170bhp as that is about its best unless you are talking bolt on superchargers or turbos or big changes in pistons, cams to get it up above that .