That's 11 years old.

For me, that's way too old.

I'm considering a change.

Consider my needs:

I'm almost 59 years old

I like plenty of room

I love comfortable cars

I love quiet cars

Comfort is more important to me than speed (there's a 100kph limit out there)

My back could be in better condition

I love good looking cars (ruling out Fiat Multipla right there!)

I prefer automatics

I have an budget of about $30,000 to spend (including trade)

I'd prefer 2005 or newer

I wouldn't want to drop too much in terms of handling and ride

I'm considering something other than BMW for a change - gasp!!! (never thought I'd say that!!)

I don't want a Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi or a Honda

I prefer low maintenance cars, so don't want turbo/blowers etc.

2 doors are a pain in the bum for my needs, so coupes are out, as are 'verts. (there's nothing quite as sad as a bloke my age driving round in a convertible - I know there's lots do it, but its not me)

If you can, try to put yourself in my shoes and please give me your considered opinion of what cars you think I might enjoy taking a drive in with a view to buy . I won't take offence at any suggestions (unless Damian says - get a Honda - LOL) and its altogether likely that I'll end up with something different anyway....

Maybe a VE Commodore? What is a basic one of those worth?

Or step Down to a 2005 Model with a few mods and cons...

Well Rog, Its unfortunate that you're thinking of moving on.

I have a couple in mind for you

Honda Accord Euro Sport (Just drive one, k?)

Nissan Maxima

BA Falcon

Commodore

1996 5 Series :)

Gee, tight range of cars fall into that request.

A Skoda (no, I'm not joking) good cars these days.

An XR6 Turbo maybe.

Seeing as you didn't list Mazda. A Mazda 6 is a very good car for the money.

I'd personally go for a slightly older VW Passat.

Maybe look in the Audi/VW range - some pretty trick cars in the range these days. A4, A6?? OR like Emma said: 96 528i - they take a bit of beating

why is it too old? changing cars for the sake of changing cars seems pointless to me

otherwise holden VE...f**king badass

Honda Accord Euro Sport - yesssss

Mazda 6 - good also

What about a Toyoa or better yet lexus?

There's already way to many VE commies on the road for my liking.

2005+ at this budgets are mostly Falcon, Commodore, Accord and Maxima, mostly lease/fleet cars.

I know these are not as new as you would like....

Jaguar year 2000-ish S-type or XJ8

Merc E320

VW Passat 2002-on

Volvo S80 2.4 (low-mid $20k)

Audi A6 2.4 Quattro

as has been said, stolen by someone before me :P a chrysler 300c everthing you could ever need in a car, or a nice jag, but im guessing some newer ones would be above budget. the vw range is very nice and some look super slick, i especially like their a4 waggons.

300C is an awesome car, look awesome, unique, you wouldnt really feel like your driving 30g in a jap car... just my opinion.

Hey guize - excellent replies. Some in there I certainly hadn't thought of. There was a 300C in the motel last week, but I thought it'd be way out of my budget range??

Yes, I was also thinking along the Audi/VW lines.

I totally agree with not feeling like getting my money' worth with Jap cars. I've been there and done that. For me, they do everything perfectly, but after a few weeks of driving them - I just wish they wouldn't, if you know what I mean.

Rog, I honestly dont think you will get ANYTHING that will be any better than an e39 for what you want, it is quite simply the best there is in that range.

Im reading a book by Jez Clarkson at the moment that was written in 96. Now weve all seen him on tv berating BMW but in the book he does nothing but wet himself over it...time and time again.

Why not just go to a much newer model ? You could look for more toys, Im thinking of heated seats in particular. You may laugh but once youve had them you will never want to be without them and they will do wonders for your back.

Facelifted motorsport 528s and 530's fit into your budget

rog,

if you do look outside the bmw camp .. have a look at getting yourself a tidy e30 325 ... seriously _the_ most fun motoring you can have with your pants on.

I never looked back after owning my first e30 :)

Leaving my E39 behind is proving to be harder than I thought, as most of you suggested!

Everytime I try a newer car, then get bck into the 528 - the BMW just feels nicer - sounds quieter - accelerates the way I like it.

But - its OLD!!

I like NEW!!(er)

You know my budget - it doesn't get much in the BMW range...

30 will get you a newer e39 .Dont discount two doors,often they are easier to get in and out of because the doors are bigger.I would seriously consider another E39.Will you do much travvelling?There are ussually a couple of E39 deisels on trademe albeit slightly over your budget.But honestly 30 will get you a nice e39,or a e46 328 or 330.Try a e46 coupe(2 dr)

Its sounds to me like youve already got everything you want Rog, its just that its hit 10 years old and thats triggered something in you :)

So perhaps all you need to do is find a newer one. You could get a much younger car if you were prepared to import one from Japan yourself otherwise your looking at 01/02 for an e39 around 30k

What about spending your budget on goodies for your current car ? Heated seats can be retro fitted easily enough (plenty of instructions on the web for someone to follow and you can buy direct from the US rather than NZ dealers prices), as can tv/sat nav. Angel eyes are relatively cheap and look great, lights upgrades are all easy.

That is after all pretty much all you will get by trading a 96 for an 01, just a couple of cosmetic changes. At least you know the history of your current car and can be rest assured that its been looked after.

I assume its leather too....otherwise you can do that aswell, swap the interior.

30k Will buy you a really nice, facelift E39 540i. A very nice peice of motoring indeed. If you find a nice black one with nice wheels and NZ new you'll be in love.

300c's Are good, sure beats any Falc or Comm, but the build quality is something to be desired.

My uncle has a black Accord Euro Sport, its a very nice machine indeed.

E320's are very nice cars. Take one for a test definitely.

Falc or Comm - Every "true" Kiwi bloke has one.. Dont go there....

E39, it dosn't really get any better..... and I'll second heated seats as Penrod mentioned.

cheers Matt

Leaving my E39 behind is proving to be harder than I thought, as most of you suggested!

Everytime I try a newer car, then get bck into the 528 - the BMW just feels nicer - sounds quieter - accelerates the way I like it.

But - its OLD!!

I like NEW!!(er)

You know my budget - it doesn't get much in the BMW range...

You could get yourself a '00 or '01 e46 328i ? not as much space in the back seats .. but has _a lot_ of boot space which I feel is more important.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, 'cos you'll all get big heads, I think you're right!! :)

I've driven a selection of newer cars over the last few days and I've yet to find one to match my BMW on all the points I like. My car has only just turned 100k, which is pretty low mileage for a 1996 model car, plus it's NZ new with a full BMW service history. It runs perfectly, it's dead straight and I guess I can learn to live with it for a while longer...

So - thanks for all the input, you actually DID help me to make up my mind. The 528 stays. :)))))

what about looking at trading the E39 and spending the remainder on upgrading to something newer.

I have an budget of about $30,000 to spend (including trade)

:huh: