Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

ecu

hey iv got a motronic ecu at home from a 1985 325i and ive got a 1987 325i motor. its the motor where the dissy is up by the cam and is controlled electronicly i think im not sure as i dont have the dissy. do you guys know if this ecu will work or do u guys know how i can find out?

The distributor is mechanical on both motors, but it sounds like you have a pre f/l ecu (l-jetronic) and a f/l motor (motronic) so you'd need a motronic ecu.

edit: no-one wants a moronic ecu... :wacko:

Edited by bravo

There are no L-jet 325s'. All 325 are Motronic, but they are not all the same. The ECU from a 85 through to mid 87 will not interchange with the later (late 87 on) ECU.

If your car is pre- FL and has the small oval shaped diagnostic plug in the engine bay, then yes the ECU will work.

(im crossing my fingers that you have a FL engine so i can buy your ECU off you!)

There are no L-jet 325s'. All 325 are Motronic, but they are not all the same. The ECU from a 85 through to mid 87 will not interchange with the later (late 87 on) ECU.

true. So is it motronic 1 vs 1.1? while we are on the topic I'd be interested to know in general what vehicles ran what.

Motronic (BOSCH) computer from 1989 325i Motorsport..

numbers 0 261 200 164

1722190 001

made in germany.

these are the details i know about it.

i am not sure about the plug in the engine as the engine is not in the car yet. how can i tell if my motor is pfl or fl?

isn't there only motronic 1.1 (pre 87) and 1.3???

1.1 has not got a o2 sensor, where the 1.3 has?

the crank angle senors are in different places. so alittle splicing and soldering will be required for it to work

how can i tell if my motor is pfl or fl?

what does the crank pulley look like? Does it have a whole bunch of teeth on it around the edge? (motronic 1.3) or is it smooth around the edge (motronic 1.1)

Your ecu is motronic 1.3, has 3 rows of pins, motronic 1.1 has 2 rows of pins. Check the engine loom ecu plug, I suspect it will be 2 row type from the age of the motor you quote.

isn't there only motronic 1.1 (pre 87) and 1.3???

that's what I meant - I don't know everything you know - I just act like I do. :rolleyes:

Edited by bravo

hey i chekd out loom etc. there are 2 pins for the ecu. it has i diagnostic plug also. is this fl or pfl? also i need a distributor for it. the dissy is up by the cam and there is a blank plate on the side of the block where the other dissy sits. could i use the dissy out of my 320i which is on the side of the block? and wat about the 320i ecu? would that work?