Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

good news about my cylinder head

Hi guys

Recently after joining this forum i was driving along and my temp shot up on my E30, Pulled over right away and got towed home. After pulling the head the headgasket showed some signs of leaking at cylinder 6.

After having it hardness tested it read full hardness and the surface was nearly perfect and only needed the lightest skim only to remove old gasket material. i am very impressed with how well built these old engines are, inspecting the bores and still seeing the hone marks at 150,000 kms they seem to be built tough.I was surprised that I wasreccomended to use new head bolts.

yeah so with a new camblet and water pump and all the upper gaskets repalced the engine shouldn't need serious work for quite some time.

the m20b25 in the m325 is at 360,000ks .. no blue smoke or anything else .. its had two head gaskets over this time. Engine only need a new cam and timing gears other wise its ready for another 100kms ...

If serviced right .. there is no reason why these engine wont last another 10-20 years.

new headbolts are a good idea. These stretch alittle bit with torqued.

also, bolts that hold the flywheel/finger plate should only be used once aswel.

All i need now is a manual gearbox to go with those flywheel bolts that should be replaced.

is there a muffler brand/type anybody could reccomend for the 320i twin inlet exhaust ?

Just make sure the muffler has DTM tips and you will be right

werd :D

that certainly is good news, mines bin thru 1 head gasket in 135thou k,s but that was just a small leak anyway,

yeah you def need new head bolts..they are designed to stretch and be one use only. not too $$ if you get from somewhere like euro italian.

HG job is pretty easy

m20s rule..so tough