Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Rant: Pit Stop Kelston

Twice this week, ive gone in, and twice ive been treated like I dont know ANYTHING, and over charged to the point where its laughable, needless to say i didnt get anything done there. First on monday I asked how much it would cost for them to quickly weld up pipe for me, simple job, wont take longer than 15 minutes, he said *because its a BMW its gonna cost $150* ugh.. what???? yea because its tricky, id like to know what exactly is tricky about it?? that was exoerience number one where i walked out and him on my ass trying to book me in, the second was today wen i went in for rotor skimming pricing, which btw is $35 per rotor, fair enough, but when I TRY and explain the situation he started telling me all of what it REALLY is and what it COULD be, when ive already found the problem and know whats wrong! insignificant to sum people, but i got really pissed off with these guys, so in future im never going to return to get anything done by them, ever.

am i gonna get this everywhere i go cos of mah bimmer? if yes, however annoying, its a small price to pay :D

End rant.

Edited by QuickSilver

Key point - dont mention the car until they have given you a price unless its nessersary, and park around the corner so they cant see you comming haha thats all I can think of.

Over time you'll find good service agents who treat you like a customer and do their work and charge accordingly - it takes a while to find them but you will. You'll still gt stung occaisionally, but once you develop a rapport with the company you'll reap the rewards.

My WOF, tyre etc guys have long stopped asking me why I want something done, and now just suggest cheaper or better alternatives or just get on wih it. I get discount, and I never have to book - always just ring before I turn up and they fit me in. But its taken quite some time (and many many $$$) to get to that point.

this is true, i have built up quite a repore with my local mech, after several cars have done bad things to themselves.. or maybe i did them to them?? lets not discuss, he has fixed them all, and always done a good job, the more money I go there the less it seems to get and like your guys, he doesent question, straight after pitstop, i drove to him, I told him what i wanted, he said yep, $60 bux I can do it now if u want, how good is that? I cant just rely on him as he is a mechanic, and hes not perfect :P although hes good I need to find other places as well, and recomendations?? man i was so pissed off at the ppl at pitstop u have no idea !!!

Pitstop FTL....

Never had good experiences with them.

Stopped going back after 2 or 3 incidents.

As already said. Best to find a place that does the lot, aren't a rip off and will do what you want how YOU want it.

Afterall business is all about the customer.....

Pit Stop in Albany - (next door to where i work) is really good, they even touched my 5 series!

im sorry, "pitstop" does not feature in my vocabulary any longer ;)

albany is way out of my way for simple repairs, atleast i could walk from kelston, by the time i got home from albany id have been arrested for walkin on the motorway hahaha

Took my bimmer to pitstop massey. They failed me on my wof. then went to ltnz and it passed.

needed a temp WOF for the drive up to tga.

welcome to the haters!!

If we are going to bag Pitstop - let me get my story in too about Pitstop East Tamaki.

When I was working out there last year, near Pitstop, I dropped my car in for a service (the ET branch of the BM Workshop was not open yet). Firstly they tried ripping me off and saying that an E36 oil filter cost $45 more than a standard screw on one, oh and they tried to charge me $25 to reset the service lights....they were soon put in their place.

Then after the service I drove home, then drove back to work the next day. The coolant light came on partway. I got to work, opened the bonnet and low and behold there is coolant everywhere. Drove back to pitstop ET, said look here why do I now have coolant everywhere. They said "no idea, we never touched anything near the radiator, and only checked the coolant level visually through the plastic".

I drove back to work, let the car cool down and then rechecked...the radiator cap was cross threaded, and therefore not sealing (and this is where the coolant was coming out of). After taking it off, and replacing the lost coolant, and removing the coolant from everywhere (all in my suit and tie that day), everything was fine.

Pitsop ET then still maintain that they never took the cap off....so I guess it must have taken itself off, and then cross threaded itself putting itself back on.

You would think that a simple service would be impossible to muck up.

Thank god I am now within spitting distance of the BM Workshop again, so I can get these things done properly.

Edit...I have had a couple of small bits of work carried out at Pitstop Newmarket, and they did a good job.

Edited by Grant

damn those self un screwing and self threading screws, their really annoying when they do that, if i didnt know better, id say some moron at pitstop screwed it all up and lied about it, but I do know beter, and I do know that those screws always unscrew and always cross thread themselves on their own, didnt you??? lol.

Guest Denny Crane

Pit stop onehunga welded on a screama pipe on an old S110 silvia my mates and I used to own :D

Nice business practice.

Another horror story ...

Long before bimmer time, took my Corolla to PitStop Thorndon (Wellington) for a simple oil service. They had a special maybe about $49 for oil and oil filter change.

Went to J'ville after the service, heard a small bang and smelt oil but think nothing of it. Oil light didn't come on.

Got home and saw oil dripping from the car, opened the bonnet and oil everywhere!!

Apparently they forgot to tighten the oil cap! Therefore bang, the cap dropped somewhere in the middle of Ngauranga Gorge and the engine bay got an oil bath.

Took it back the next morning and got them to: 1. top up the oil again, 2. buy me a new oil cap, 3. steam clean the engine bay. Obviously I checked everything before taking the car back.

It'd had cost them more than $49 to do all that.

What incompetent idiots.