Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

My german plates are f****** illegal now ...

yeah those stickers are cool, i want one too, ive seen all sorts of them, what do they represent?? the country??

can people also stop asking places like ltsa if you can use german plates!! im sure ive seen comments of people doing so??

The country ID stickers also used to come as bolt on plates. We had them on my parents' cars in the '50s & '60s. Spotting/naming the countries was one of the games my dad & I played when we on trips.

As far as the plates debate goes - I keep my kiwi ones in my boot, ready to drop on should I ever get forced to by some govt hitler.

But could they Copyright a plate that is a direct copy of an existing design?

i.e. the Genuine and original Europlates.

Yes, looking through the PP website, it appears that they manage the register of PP in NZ. And they obviously subcontract the manufacture of them.

I thnk its such miniscule thing, and people worry about the wrong things, maybe real crime should be more imporant, I dunno,

Murder is just as illegal as speeding.

Some illegal activities are just less morally accepted than others.

If you think they should be concentrating on more real crime. Get off your arse and join the police force.

Cain, Im sorry but I think Quikky is right to a certain degree.

The Police should concentrate on solving crimes where peoples lives, metal health or physical wellbeing are endangered. Not a plate imported from Germany... christ.

And if its ok for a Policeman to rape someone then its ok for us to drive around with "grey-area" plates on our cars IMO

my plates are surely just as reflective, as big and as readable as the standard, so long as they have the correct letters and numbers on them, they will be staying on my car.

I think you'll find that the police don't care about the plates and that it is just the PP ppl chasing them up. Would be interesting to see somewhere flout their letter to see what the actual outcome would be.

As for the D (GB, A, S, F etc) stickers, these are no longer used in europe since they went to the euro plates, although I do have a D sticker since I have friends there that sent me one as you can still find them but not so easy.

As far as the plates debate goes - I keep my kiwi ones in my boot, ready to drop on should I ever get forced to by some govt hitler.

Yuh...

Someone with zee brain mun!!!

If it is an issue we feel strongly about set up a bank account ask for 20 bucks from everyone and get a legal clarification / challenge put to the minister by a lawyer, would only cost 3to 500 bucks.

Been there done that, how many times do I have to say it people ! Read the statues and not the PP/LTSA websites.

If you feel that strongly about it send me the money then at least Ill get some fun out of it rather than the lawyer you give it to :D

I think I'll just keep my normal euor plates in the boot like you others ... either that or I'll just buy some standard black/white ones and use them permanently.

f**king hell this petty bullshit is rediculous.

From what I can gather, the other issue is that your plates denote that the car is registered in Germany, not here. A technicality I know, but relevant.

We had a laugh on our OE in 92 when our friends Combie which was a real shitbox, got pinged in Austria. The cop was throwing the book at him, when he saw the "NZ" sticker on the back, and couldn't believe the van had made it "all the way from New Zealand". The fact it had made it from London was a minor miracle!!

Edited by StylesM5

going to fair go would be sweet, although risk getting out plates lost through losing? Im still going to run mine.

Edited by nz320i Chris

A lawyer friend of ours checked out this a few years back. Her partner at the time was interested in finding out what plates were legal on the front of his MX5.

While the law is very clear about the need to have authorised plates fitted, the problem in the statutes (or it was at the time), is that the statutes refer to The Gazette for a description of the plates.

To that date (anyway) there has never been an entry in The Gazette that actually describes the plates.

The outcome from that little mission was the so long as the plates match front and rear, there really wasnt much that could be done about it.

Problem is that nobody has actually "tested" the case, as its only a $200 fine, and hardly worth the thousands of dollars spent defending it in court.

Like Josh's E46??

Just as illegal/legal as our europlates.

Except at least the euro plates conform in terms of materials, embossed lettering, letter height, reflective white background etc.

There are quite a few cars around with the front 'plates' painted on the bumper. How is that effected by all this?

Also just saw an Alfa 156 with euro plate, and Italian flag on the left and Alfa's symbol on the right. First time I ever seen something like that.

I have a yellow plate on the back of my 323i with the D logo, I have been pulled up 4 times so far by police questioing the plate.

They believe it is a rego number from Germany, they never look at the LTSA sticker on the windsheild on passenger side!!

If you guys are looking for D stickers and plakettes, order them here:

Their service is ok, postage is a bit slow

http://www.german-number-plates.com/access...ls&item=812