Sign in to follow this  
bezzal

E34 + E30 = 335i

I have a fair idea that the only things that can be used from a E34 535i is the M30 motor and gear box, for an E30 335i conversion?

Are there any other parts I can use, Diff LSD Medium case? Rear sub frame? Front Struts? 5 lug conversion is a no go with these parts as well I gather.

Any use for any parts off the e34 on E30?

Cheers.

Talk to Bumpstop 325. Tim has a 335, but the motor came from a 7 series.

All you can use is motor & box.

Get an e28 535i radiator

e30.de for the mounts

5-lug - e36 struts/rear end z3 trailing arms

e34 engine is best cos oilpan fits

throw the e34 away when you finished.

post pics as you go.

EDIT - Half the e34 tailshaft should mount to an e30 half depending on your model e30 - no shortening

Edited by Maccoretti

you can also use an e23 m30..they pretty cheap. beauty about the m30 is that it uses the m20 loom..plug n play baby!

drove an e30 m30 the other day...5 speed e30 m3 dogleg close ratio with 3.64? LSD..was a helluva lot of fun!

not super powerful but damn torquey...feels like a grown up 325i. can kinda imagine it being pretty tough to drive fast around corners without suspension work to correct...was fun though

on another note am loving the 318 in twisties...they huckin fandle!

you can also use an e23 m30..they pretty cheap. beauty about the m30 is that it uses the m20 loom..plug n play baby!

drove an e30 m30 the other day...5 speed e30 m3 dogleg close ratio with 3.64? LSD..was a helluva lot of fun!

not super powerful but damn torquey...feels like a grown up 325i. can kinda imagine it being pretty tough to drive fast around corners without suspension work to correct...was fun though

on another note am loving the 318 in twisties...they huckin fandle!

Yes Gus I was wondering what they handle like. I've seen somewhere how much heavier the M30 is thna the M20 and it wasn't a lot. I'd be interested in any other feed back about the car you drove???

How did the M30 compare to say a 2.7l m20?

I may have a 535 e34 manual as a donor car. Hence the question. I didn't realise the Plug and Play aspect of the wiring harnesses either. Makes life easy!

The next thing for it to come together would be a nice E30 4 or 2 door, Leather interior, Mtech 1 or 2 kitted....

Also Cheers Cain.

well, cheaper than a 2.7!

i probably wouldnt do it..was thinking the other day it would be nice to have a little more power than a 325i but still have 4 cylinders..duh.

you can see why they made the e30 m3 that way..its a hard q, i dont think the m30 is that worth it, but it is a cool swap, def gives you a really nice cruising e30 esp on motorways...would be a nice long trip car

if i remember right an m30 is around 60kg more than the m20? a hefty amount for the front of the car

depends what sorta e30 you want...m20 is ok...would probably turbo that to get 250 - 300 hp instead of most other options

M30 rules!!!!!!!

so much easier to work on (especially e34 type). no snappy rubber bands to break !!!!!

loads of torque for when pulling out of corners . thats why alpina and hartge etc did the conversions

Please dont kill a 535is for conversion tho, kill an E32 instead

the m30 is way more silky than the m20.

Its still not a S14, but quote, its the ability to leave traffic at the stop sign in the dust. unquote.

The best thing is that you have all that power you call upon, the split second you need it.

not only is the engine heavier the autobox is also alittle heavier than the m20 one.

I think my m30b35 + G225 is about if not lighter that a m20b25/7 + G260.

Better fuel economy aswel. 6/7L per 100km using cruise control of the time. You can make your own engine mounts. it dont have a pic of mine. Medium difficulty engineering skills required.

Its an awesome motor that makes a awesome car even better.

Anybody doing a 2.7L build should do a 3.5 swap instead. More power for your buck. Plus the little things you do to the engine, have a more worth while result over smaller.

If I were to do it again. I would modify the firewall so that you would remain the 50:50 weight split.

Plus buying a supra with a 6speed in it. But who has one of those.???

Edited by bumpstop325

the m30 is way more silky than the m20.

Its still not a S14, but quote, its the ability to leave traffic at the stop sign in the dust. unquote.

The best thing is that you have all that power you call upon, the split second you need it.

not only is the engine heavier the autobox is also alittle heavier than the m20 one.

I think my m30b35 + G225 is about if not lighter that a m20b25/7 + G260.

Better fuel economy aswel. 6/7L per 100km using cruise control of the time. You can make your own engine mounts. it dont have a pic of mine. Medium difficulty engineering skills required.

Its an awesome motor that makes a awesome car even better.

Anybody doing a 2.7L build should do a 3.5 swap instead. More power for your buck. Plus the little things you do to the engine, have a more worth while result over smaller.

If I were to do it again. I would modify the firewall so that you would remain the 50:50 weight split.

Plus buying a supra with a 6speed in it. But who has one of those.???

Unfortunatly some idiot took out the 535is, so depending what $ the insurance co. want for the wreck I'm thinking of buying it. So I would have a 5spd and M30b34. I'm a bit bummed that it sounds like the LSD would be if no use. I'm sure it would need it. It was fantastic in the 535is when pushing on.

It sounds like "position III" for the engine is the way to go. Keep it as far back as possible.

I would have loved to have used my 840i wheels as well on the conversion , but they are of no use either.

Any way the big thing is going to be how much money the insurance co wants for. Weather it is worth while to do or not.

Thanks for all your input guys. If I do end up going down this path I will keep you posted.

Rich.

insurance normally pretty good if its your car ... around the $500 for most e30s that have been wrecked

pos 3 cant be done on RHD due to the pedal linkage...you can remove it and then position it however..

tim the m30 is around 60kg heavier...a helluva lot on the v front!

more power for your buck than a 2.7, but andrews 2.5 race car was pulling on robs 3.5 with dogleg box in a straight line from a similar speed start...completely different but its not that much more powerful...the torque on the engine is more suited as a badass road car

4 cylinders rule anyway!

more power for your buck than a 2.7, but andrews 2.5 race car was pulling on robs 3.5 with dogleg box in a straight line from a similar speed start...completely different but its not that much more powerful...the torque on the engine is more suited as a badass road car

I've never been a big fan of M30 swaps. M20s go just as hard and my race car motor isn't even that modified and is still 2.5 ltr.