Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

sooo the auto in the e46 went bang..

Thank god mine is a manual!!

:rolleyes:

Amen to that!

Holy sh*t thats expensive Josh...

Nah didnt ... would still have the same issue though ... mind you albeit a few years down the track and I would have moved on to an e90 by then :D ..

are there any warning signs, or checks/adjustments/changes that can be done to avoid whatever happened to you? We have a '00 330 with about 72K on the clock, I'd prefer not to have to fix the auto... :unsure:

are there any warning signs, or checks/adjustments/changes that can be done to avoid whatever happened to you? We have a '00 330 with about 72K on the clock, I'd prefer not to have to fix the auto... :unsure:

Warning signs: when car is rolling forward, do not put box into reverse.

There is no warning that it will happen ..

The cause is basically a badly designed auto ...

As you will notice on any pre 02 e46 auto is that the car takes a few seconds to engage auto .. alot of the time the normal user is stuck in the middle of a three point turn with traffic coming and just hit the accelerator to soon .. causing load up on the gearbox when it engages. 75-120k of this places stress on the reverse engagement piston it eventually blows its seals and buggers the drum.

Mine literally shat itself and spray metal all through the gearbox system .. hence the totaly rebuild with revised parts. I now have basically a new gearbox and it feels great :D

Just get mechanical insurance .. you'll be fine .. "if" it happens itll only cost you $100. not $6000.

The car is not totally immobilised it feels like a slipping clutch in reverse.

sorted.

whole thing is a big shame ... but such as life.

... 75-120k of this places stress on the reverse engagement piston it eventually blows its seals and buggers the drum.

And I take it these parts aren't easily accessed and replaced before they let go? :mellow:

well, I'll just have to tell the missus to go easy on it...