Sign in to follow this  
alex

CAI

Hey guys, im looking at getting a nice CAI for the m3 when im back in auckland. Just wondering what the best option would be, i was looking at the carbon fibre ones on ssddmotorsport.com, they're about $600, can you get good ones for cheaper? and are the HP claims true? i wouldn't mind another 8-10 HP, do they comprimise anymore fuel? its all a big learning experience for me.

thanks

Hey guys, im looking at getting a nice CAI for the m3 when im back in auckland. Just wondering what the best option would be, i was looking at the carbon fibre ones on ssddmotorsport.com, they're about $600, can you get good ones for cheaper? and are the HP claims true? i wouldn't mind another 8-10 HP, do they comprimise anymore fuel? its all a big learning experience for me.

thanks

Alex, you can get the Simota ones for $170 IIRC, from a shop in Christchurch, a few members have bought them.

www.autopassion.co.nz

$175 inc GST and shipping was the price as of last year. You might have to mention that you're a Bimmersport member.

Alex, you can get the Simota ones for $170 IIRC, from a shop in Christchurch, a few members have bought them.

www.autopassion.co.nz

$175 inc GST and shipping was the price as of last year. You might have to mention that you're a Bimmersport member.

Not in stock right now though :-(

Oh sweet, thanks Yuen.

Does anyone know when they will be back in stock?

Also, what benefits will the simota CAI give me compared to my normal setup?

Dont expect too much...

They make a nice noise tho :D

thanks

i heard that it only will give u a gain or 1-3 bhp, mostly an increase of 1 hp,

Rule of thumb is that you get a 1% increase in horsepower for every 10 degrees C that the intake charge reduces.

You do the maths. But 8 horsepower increase would need a 400hp stock motor and a 20 degree temperature drop. Doesn't sound likely.

This is the CAI that I made. I also ran a tube up from the left brake duct + it still get air from behind the grill. Got hold of a indoor / outdoor thermometer 70C max output run round town with it in my engine bay, got readings of 70c + in the engine bay after a lot of stop starting at lights. Put one sensor inside the shield of the CAI fitted the other sensor outside, temp increased at the lights but within a km was back down to outside temp. But once I figure out what to line the inside of the shield with hopefully the increase temp at idle will be reduced.

post-2197-1187240782_thumb.jpg

This is the CAI that I made. I also ran a tube up from the left brake duct + it still get air from behind the grill. Got hold of a indoor / outdoor thermometer 70C max output run round town with it in my engine bay, got readings of 70c + in the engine bay after a lot of stop starting at lights. Put one sensor inside the shield of the CAI fitted the other sensor outside, temp increased at the lights but within a km was back down to outside temp. But once I figure out what to line the inside of the shield with hopefully the increase temp at idle will be reduced.

[/quot

yo sweetm3 did you have to do anycutting for that pipe running up into the boxed area ? i was thinking of doing that for mine cheers

post-1718-1187249929_thumb.jpg

My CAI shield is made in 2 pieces. The lower section still leaves the opening behind the head light looking down on to the brake duct. Cut a round hole in the top of the brake duct and feed pipe into the duct with the pipe extending up to my filter. Photos not the best but hope it helps.

post-2197-1187317591_thumb.jpg

My CAI shield is made in 2 pieces. The lower section still leaves the opening behind the head light looking down on to the brake duct. Cut a round hole in the top of the brake duct and feed pipe into the duct with the pipe extending up to my filter. Photos not the best but hope it helps.

sweet cheers man i mite have to trim the under side of my box

Hey PBOY, I have no idea of your name sorry, but damn that looks like a tidy Airbox, did you fabricate it yourself?

Cheers

Chris

Hey PBOY, I have no idea of your name sorry, but damn that looks like a tidy Airbox, did you fabricate it yourself?

Cheers

Chris

hey bro yeh my names pierre but mates call me pboy or p (not to do with drug)

i had it made by light gauge metals in onehunga the guy made it just out of his head no design or anything got it done fast and to suit me i would recomend cost 180 but is shaped to the bonnet virtually all sealed could keep goin but id soon bore you hahaha

yea i love you cai!

did the guy in ohehunga charge you 180 for the shield? coz that looks mint!!

hey bro yeh my names pierre but mates call me pboy or p (not to do with drug)

i had it made by light gauge metals in onehunga the guy made it just out of his head no design or anything got it done fast and to suit me i would recomend cost 180 but is shaped to the bonnet virtually all sealed could keep goin but id soon bore you hahaha

Haha dude, I had taken a box down to him to get copied, he copied MY design!

Same price roughly too.