Sign in to follow this  
cyberwired

Buy E36 318i and change engine?

Hopefully theres a few people here who can give me advise on this

I've always been a fan of BMW's, Dad owns a 745iM (the old 87 model of which only 270 odd were made and has a 3.5L and sounds gorgeous with 165kw at the wheels :))

I'm looking at getting rid of the GSR and finally getting into a BMW, I'm quite picky in what I want and I see a lot of cars that look good but they are all 1.8L

So what I'm thinking is I find a nice looking 318i and swap the engine to say a 2.3L or 2.8L.

My question really is this, will a 2.0L/2.3L/2.8L from an E36 drop straight in to replace the 1.8L and attach straight onto the gearbox (probably auto as it will be used for work in traffic)

Would I need to get the ECU for the larger engine?

Are there any changes such as suspension, braking etc when you go from a 318 to a 320/323/328?

Cheers everyone, the help is much appreciated!

There is alot you need to do...I've done that with a 318 TI Compact. Check the threads out in "Rides" and its not cheap. Its best to buy a damaged 323 or 328 as a donor car and swap it all over. I bought a stolen & vandalised 328 I coupe as a donor. Try to get the same year built without ASC. Costs heaps more to do using engine/gearbox after 1997. Or just go and buy a 328I manual coupe. It will need to be certified too, over 20% increase in HP needs a cert. Getting back to your question....the motor will not fit the 318 gearbox and yes both ECU's and loom will need changing. Brakes and suspension are a "must do" as well and the diff ratio will be wrong.....the list goes on.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

to cut a long story short, just go and buy the car you want

building it will not end up much if any cheaper, cause problems with insurance \ resale and generally be a pain in the ass

come along to our botany day next week..will give you a good idea of what sort of cars we all drive (may even be a couple for sale if you ask the right people!) and have a chat about your plans...we all love talking sh*t!

I have a turbo 318iS that may suit your needs? A lot quicker than your Dad's car!

Such wisdom for one with so few years GusPosted Image I must agree, if you want to play, get an older BMW, E30's are excellent for this, otherwise, as Glenn says, you really want a complete donor car for all the bits you need. Get a nice 318 for your driver and spend your developement cash on another car for occaisions, did I mention E30s.

Id put money on it being more expensive to build one than buy one.

Bought my 318Ti Mtech for $2,500 the car now owes me $13,500........do the maths

sh*t ok I see what your saying, I wasn't sure how different they would be and I've not had that much experience in what needs to be changed.

Here I was hoping to get a 318i, buy a 2.3L engine off trade me, sell the 1.8L engine on trademe for a few hundred less than the 2.3 and pay a little to get them swapped around (or figure out how myself)!

I'm not after turbo or an E30, I'd like whatever is after E36 (E42 is it?) but can't afford that so want to look at 36 :)

I've had my fun in my 1.8 turbo GSR, now I'm wanting something a little calmer that doesn't drink gas so heavily which can still fit 4 people in easily (my girlfriend has a 5yr old daughter who still needs carseat etc)

Reason I've not wanted 1.8L is I've been told they are really gutless, I've not actually driven one but is this the case?

My 1.8L Pulsar isn't fast but it doesn't feel gutless so I'm not sure that BMW being heavier might be an issue?

1.8 are sh*t slow

a nice e36 323i or 328i would be your best bet. will prob be auto, but manual if poss...really good solid car

1.8 are sh*t slow

a nice e36 323i or 328i would be your best bet. will prob be auto, but manual if poss...really good solid car

yea...318i being 4 cylinder...SOHC unless 318is which is still 4 cylinder DOHC...

when you get to the 320i+...not only do you get the DOHC throughout the whole range...but all are of inline 6...

if you want something more than a 1.8L...might as well get it as it is...

One thing about the 318i is that it should be more economical than the larger engines...but again...driver and other aspects are taken into consideration...with my 318i I do more than 500Km+ per tank...which is nice when fuel is expensive~...

yea...318i being 4 cylinder...SOHC unless 318is which is still 4 cylinder DOHC...

Would it be possible to install the DOHC engine in place of the SOHC using the same gearbox, suspension etc??

Would it be possible to install the DOHC engine in place of the SOHC using the same gearbox, suspension etc??

You have a DOHC motor.

You have a DOHC motor.

But i thought the DOHC engine was only in the 318is model?