Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

What's it worth?

Here's a question which, in light of competition from other members on other cars, I wish to remain hypothetical only!

What's this car worth?

1990 NZ New 325iSE, 4 door 5 spd manual. Fully kitted with everything- trip computer, M-technic suspension, the list goes on. Perfect body and Full service history- it's like a 1 yr old car to look at. And only 120,000km, which is low for a 17 yr old car. A bloody good looking car on 15 inch BBS. It's a nice metallic colour too.

Now I'm aware that it's not an M325i and consequently loses a lot of wank-worthiness, though I prefer SE for the understated-ness. That said, I much prefer Camilla to Diana(because hard-faced is preferable in a wife to nut-case). Anyway before I get completely off topic, your opinions on what you would pay... (Note: Scots, Jews, Dutchmen and Yorkshiremen are banned from proffering their valuations.)

Now I'm aware that it's not an M325i and consequently loses a lot of wank-worthiness

oh ye of little knowledge

anyway, a lot depends on colour..i imagine around 4-5k? if immaculate 6 tops?

actually..if its the car i think it might be, didnt it sell for around 10 a couple of years ago? if its the same one or similar level of niceness, maybe around 8?

problem with it is that its still 'just' a normal e30, and not really viewed as that collectable IMO

It may well be the one you speak of Gus... It's Sterlingsilbermetallic (love the long words!) and really is in outstanding condition- has a color coded iS lip and SE skirts. I hate the word 'showroom' but this car could quite easily qualify. I'm not too bothered about resale value but at the same time don't fancy paying more than I should...

While I'm well aware M325i prices are disturbing, the asking price for this one is less than half of what it's more famous, tartier sister in the same condition and mileage would fetch to the right buyer.

When you can buy a decent SA built 325i with ALL the toys and extras for a poxy couple of grand who in their right mind is going to pay 8k for a 325iSE ?

Im sorry but I just dont get it.

Mine has everything you mention Will (bar the SE side skirts and is lip) has done only 95k klms and needs only minor work and money to make it every bit as good as the one you describe. The car cost me 3k and I sure as hell wont need to spend another 5k....and I include the cost of the Alpinas in that too !

As for the price of the m325's.....havent three recently failed to sell for 8k ?

Easy 7 to 8k, I know the car you are talking about and the owner and you will not find a better e30 outside a M325i in NZ hands down. The owner is the most fastidious knowlegable genuine guy who maintains his cars to the point of obsession. You will not go wrong and the guys saying you are paying too much simply have no idea, there is no car that even comes close to this. Ring Jeff Gray ask for Mark in parts and mention his name they will fill you in on Brian and his cars.

Yes, I met Brian today- real nice guy, he was in a hurry (I was looking at the car outside his business just as he was leaving to pick up the key for his new BMW!) but he made time to show me over the car- it really is exceptional- the paintwork is like new. I've had my eye on it for about a year now, see it all the time on the way to my dad's factory up the road... almost crashed perving at the car once!

I think he was a little worried that I was so young and interested in his car... I had to convince him that I like my BMWs just as they were built. Now, I suppose I should ask what a 1990 318i NZ new manual with 159,000km is worth?

Martyn, did you forget when adding up, that your car wants a clutch for its birthday? :P

Yes, I met Brian today- real nice guy, he was in a hurry (I was looking at the car outside his business just as he was leaving to pick up the key for his new BMW!) but he made time to show me over the car- it really is exceptional- the paintwork is like new. I've had my eye on it for about a year now, see it all the time on the way to my dad's factory up the road... almost crashed perving at the car once!

I think he was a little worried that I was so young and interested in his car... I had to convince him that I like my BMWs just as they were built. Now, I suppose I should ask what a 1990 318i NZ new manual with 159,000km is worth?

Martyn, did you forget when adding up, that your car wants a clutch for its birthday? :P

It wouldn't park up in Taita during the week would it? looks amazing if it is that one.

Will, the gearbox is sitting nicely waiting for the time to get put in :)

Richard, some people just have too much money. I dont see the m325's selling at their exhorbatant prices even though you keep saying they are worth the money.

There must be only a small handfull of people in the country willing to pay these kinds of prices and once they all have one, who's left ? Even the 6-8k ones havent sold recently.

6-8k i am assuming pre FL??

the mtech 2s are going for a helluva lot more. Doug was offered around 16k for his?

there ARE people out there who are willing and able to spend money on the right cars, its just they dont frequent internet forums (probably too busy earning money) so we dont have their input!

As for the price of the m325's.....havent three recently failed to sell for 8k ?

Even the 6-8k ones havent sold recently.

Don't be so sure about this. Have just sold one for a price I won't reveal, but effectively a lot more than 6-8k. Guy I sold to was seriously looking at one of the "mint" ones at around 14-15k.

I agree with the Gus, the people who are will pay these prices do not generally visit these sites, i mean 7-8k today is not alot of money for anyone other than a 19 year old. This is an old argument but martyyn go and have alook at it!. Maybe if he was nice he might show you his other cars, think carbon black mtech 2 M325i, 40 000 kms from new!

I'd drop 7k on it probably.

If it is David Brace's old car (do a VIR) - it was crashed by the owners mechanic very badly last year. Perhaps why the paint looks new? When David owned it, it was 100% mint.

Not david brace's, that car had 190 km, not 120 km and that sold for $10500.

It's the carbon copy of David Brace's old 325iSE- exact same colour etc. This car is ex- Christchurch and on its fourth owner. It still has the original 1990 'P' reg plates on it so obviously never had the 'MBRACE' plates on it.

Oh, it does differ slightly in that this car doesn't have leather. Which doesn't bother me personally, I quite like grey "Vulgalour".

Edited by ThreeOneEight

I cannot understand why eveyone is putting such high values on these cars. Does this 325i come with magic seeds in the glove box??

The realisable value of an E30, regardless of its spec is low. Remember we are talking about 17+ year old cars. The last E30 I bought was a mint 1989 NZ New f/l 318i in Diamond Schwartz with 150km, it cost $1200. I can't see how a 325i at $8k is a "good buy". I also sold my 95 E36 325i (SA) which was also mint for $5200 earlier this year. If you looked hard enough, im sure you could find a NZ 328i for less than $8k.

Whilst I think a M325i is a fantastic car, I wouldn't pay anything like $15k for one. It doesn't make sense to me, especially when you can buy a E36 M3 for not much more.

The reason I think the silly values are popping up on this site is that they are being posted by E30 owners. It is only natural to value something you own artificially high, whether it be to make yourself feel better about how much money you've pumped into yours or to lead people to think it is the market price come sale time.

I guess like anything in life, the value of something is purely what the highest bidder offers you for it. However, if you are willing to pay silly money for an E30, beware it may be difficult to recoup it later down the track.

I cannot understand why eveyone is putting such high values on these cars. Does this 325i come with magic seeds in the glove box??

The realisable value of an E30, regardless of its spec is low. Remember we are talking about 17+ year old cars. The last E30 I bought was a mint 1989 NZ New f/l 318i in Diamond Schwartz with 150km, it cost $1200. I can't see how a 325i at $8k is a "good buy". I also sold my 95 E36 325i (SA) which was also mint for $5200 earlier this year. If you looked hard enough, im sure you could find a NZ 328i for less than $8k.

Whilst I think a M325i is a fantastic car, I wouldn't pay anything like $15k for one. It doesn't make sense to me, especially when you can buy a E36 M3 for not much more.

The reason I think the silly values are popping up on this site is that they are being posted by E30 owners. It is only natural to value something you own artificially high, whether it be to make yourself feel better about how much money you've pumped into yours or to lead people to think it is the market price come sale time.

I guess like anything in life, the value of something is purely what the highest bidder offers you for it. However, if you are willing to pay silly money for an E30, beware it may be difficult to recoup it later down the track.

Well said. I wouldnt (personaly) pay any more than 10k for an E30. Just like what he ^ said. You can get better cars. And at the end of the day i and many others i know love E30'S but that doesnt mean we have to pay top dollar. I would say about $5000-$7000 for the 325ise you are looking at. But i say that with out looking at it at all so could be more or less.

Here's a question which, in light of competition from other members on other cars, I wish to remain hypothetical only!

What's this car worth?

1990 NZ New 325iSE, 4 door 5 spd manual. Fully kitted with everything- trip computer, M-technic suspension, the list goes on. Perfect body and Full service history- it's like a 1 yr old car to look at. And only 120,000km, which is low for a 17 yr old car. A bloody good looking car on 15 inch BBS. It's a nice metallic colour too.

Now I'm aware that it's not an M325i and consequently loses a lot of wank-worthiness, though I prefer SE for the understated-ness. That said, I much prefer Camilla to Diana(because hard-faced is preferable in a wife to nut-case). Anyway before I get completely off topic, your opinions on what you would pay... (Note: Scots, Jews, Dutchmen and Yorkshiremen are banned from proffering their valuations.)

Education time, what is the difference between SE and I

Mostly cosmetic- this particular car has colour coded bumpers and mirrors, most SE's came with 14 inch basketweaves (though this one has 15 inch M325i type items), also a premium cloth interior (grey full vulgalour with diagonal stripes- very late 80s!), leather steering wheel/gearknob, air conditioning, a trip computer, full electrics including sunroof, and a myriad of other things like extra insulation in the boot, premium audio etc. Basically a high spec level, though it doesn't say anywhere on the car that it's an SE. Would have cost around $110,000 new, I'd imagine, if not more.

you guys are missing the point

the M325i is NOT the same as a normal e30...yes they are old cars, but they are becoming collectible (to the right people obviously not you)

therefore, cost is not that much of an issue. 15k is not a huge amount of money for a lot of people

you can argue all you want about what they are actually worth, but when people ARE actually paying 15k or whatever your arguments are academic and dont mean a helluva lot.

the same people buying 15k motorsports are not interested in sub 3k shitter e30s

as above, an SE costing $110 k NZ? find that hard to believe when an M325i with all those options costed around 87k or so?

as above, an SE costing $110 k NZ? find that hard to believe when an M325i with all those options costed around 87k or so?

In 1990 they probably would have been around the $110k mark, 1990 was pretty mad for inflation, car prices went up down and around in circles after the stockmarket crash. $87k would have been about 1987 money for an M325i... I feel sorry for the poor guy who had to compile car magazine pricelists back then!

SE's are wicked for the one you are talking about in particular will I'd pay anywhere between 4 - 6k on it.

What everyone needs to remeber is a car is only worth what any individual is prepared to pay for it.