Sign in to follow this  
Matty

E46 330i throttle response

Not really a performance mod, but this is the closest category I can think of...

Is there any way to fix the throttle response in the 330i? It is, in standard form, to be polite.... crap. Press the pedal and nothing happens for half a second, then boom, off it goes. Makes it tricky to drive quickly and smoothly.

Seems to be with the electronic throttle programming as far as I can tell... Maybe I'm just spoiled coming from an MX-5, but hell, even the 15 year old Camry at work is vastly better.

This is on a 2000 Jap, auto, ASC equipped model (if that makes a difference). Surely it's possible to hack the software and adjust it to suit?

Surely it's possible to hack the software and adjust it to suit?

Use BMW GT-1 diagnostic software and check it has the latest version software fitted.

Oh yeah - you need to go to BMW (or a independent BMW shop) to do that.

for a e46, in short ... no

While having the sowftare updated to the latest version helps you still have a throttle that is a 'fly by wire' system ... there are several people running around with the s50 throttle bodies and cable / pedal conversion and a lot of dicking around with the ECU. This is the only way to get true direct throttle response 'easily'.

There's no technical reason why a "drive by wire" throttle should have bad response. Drive a current model MX-5 for proof. Hell, you could even make it respond FASTER than you can push the pedal, if you program it properly...

It's all in the programming, be it for emissions or traction control or whatever they've made it pretty awful. And that's a real shame from a self-proclaimed "driver's car" company.

dude it aint that bad ... you sure your not getting confused between the auto gearbox changes delay ...

tip: use manual mode .. between gear changes blip off slightly on the accelerator .. and you get faster changes. Will take you a bit to get use to.

Otherwise get aftermarket software. I think people confuse the 3 series as a sports car, buy a z4 or m3 for that. Its a luxary sedan remember.

dude it aint that bad ... you sure your not getting confused between the auto gearbox chnages delays ...

tip: use manual mode .. between gear changes blip off slightly on the accelerator .. and you get faster changes. Will take you a bit to get use to.

Otherwise get aftermarket software. I think people confuse the 3 series as a sports car, buy a z4 or m3 for that. Its a luxary sedan remember.

Definitely not the auto. There's no engine noise, no flare up, just a lag before anything happens. It occurs both off the line and from cruise. Like I said, an old Camry auto I drive occasionally shits on it for responsiveness.

I'm not expecting it to be a sports car, I just think it could be much better. At the very least, as good as a Camry...

I think you may have something wrong ...

* Try checking your air filter ...

* m54b30 really doesnt like running on anything less than 98 RON octane

* Tire pressure are even and around 32 PSI (*depending on your tire profile (I run 45 on a 30/35% profile)

* Get your software check as suggested earlier

This is a little off topic. E46's also have a learning computer, I find after a good out of town aggressive drive .. my car perks up as it learns my style.

Otherwise my car only get town driving and falls asleep again and smooths up throttle response.

Try it its quite interesting.

I don't think it's anything mechanical, but thanks for the tips anyway. Always filled with premium fuel, but I'm not sure what RON that is in NZ... 95? Will look for some 98.

I too have noticed the learning of the ECU - spank it for a few corners and suddenly the auto hangs on to lower gears for a lot longer. Trouble is the wife drives it 95% of the time, so it's probably fallen asleep by now...

Oh, and as another off-topic, I hate the reverse +/- sequential "manual" layout. Forwards should be - and vice versa.

Edited by Matty

I can relate to the poor throttle response, the fly by wire in the e46 is shocking compared to the cable in the e36. Nothing nothing Goooo.

The adaptive programme in the ecu probably exacerbates it. Sounds like your cars in sleepy mode.

Unless your consistently using it reasonably hard it will be a little sluggish.

Oh, and as another off-topic, I hate the reverse +/- sequential "manual" layout. Forwards should be - and vice versa.

Changing that is as easy as swapping two wires around in the shifter electrical switch

Then you'll get what you want.

It's a common mod on the E39s.

You just have to remember the label on the shifter is opposite - or change to a newer version label - if available.

Jochen

Sweet, might look into that (the wife will never know). I assume you can access the wires by pulling up the trim around the shifter somewhere?

Sweet, might look into that (the wife will never know). I assume you can access the wires by pulling up the trim around the shifter somewhere?

Yep. Lift the trim, expose the switch and the connector, swap the wires in the connector.

Even better put a manual in it and have some purpose to throttle response

And pay around 8k for the privilage ... (all getting parts new as the gearbox is hens teeth to find second hand in NZ)

And pay around 8k for the privilage ... (all getting parts new as the gearbox is hens teeth to find second hand in NZ)

This guy will have them (before anyone else at least):

0800 269 992 - Ladies Mile Motors Co LTD

Follow up - Took the car to BM Workshop today. (well, the wife took it in anyway, but I spoke to Trevor on the phone for a bit, discussing various service issues)

Apparently there was a previous fault with one of the cam angle sensors, the part had been replaced but the ECU probably not reset. So they did that and it's noticeably better now. Not perfect, but as good as it's going to get I think - it's not an M3...

As a side note, I must say a big thanks to BM Workshop. Very friendly and professional to deal with, Trevor was even pointing out issues that I wasn't familiar with (like the backlighting of the gear selection indicator next to the gearstick - didn't even realise there was one!), and recommending precautionary maintenance (apparently the cooling system parts are prone to failure ~80000 km?)

just check the radiator end tanks piping/connectors .. if it starts to go brownish light color .. get it replaced.

just check the radiator end tanks piping/connectors .. if it starts to go brownish light color .. get it replaced.

Hmm, reminds me of my MX-5...