Sign in to follow this  
Matthew

e30 1989 4 door 18" Alloys

Hey wondering how low i could lower my car its a bmw e30 1989 with 18" alloys and im wondering does any one know whats the lowest i could go. thanks im abit of a beginer!!

Welcome

- (on a side note I can't believe no one has that username yet)

Do you mean a low as you can go without the wheels rubbing - or as low as you can go and still have the car 'handle' ?

haha i know i was qwite amazed how i got it!! um yeah no rubing n so i also can turn the car haha

thanks

It will depend on how wide and what offset your wheels are - offset is how far they stick in or out from the car.

But if they are the correct offset then a 40mm drop will look low enough, handle quite well and not cause rubbing issues (or at least easy to fix ones).

If you know the width and offset of your wheels it would help.

You can drop and e30 around 40-50mm at the front and 60 at the back without needing a cert 90% of the time. The other 10% is for cars that for some reason sit lower due to worn components or other anomalies.

oh thanks alot that helped me out hepz. i think i myt drop the front 40mm at front and 60mm at the back then which should look very cool with out many problems is that right? thanks

Thats exactly what I did on my car before the current springs. Looked like this on 17's:

Posted Image

I can't guarantee you won't have problems without knowing the offset of your wheels.

Also, the ride is harsh even on 17's. My springs were quite soft (you can get harder ones) and used to bottom out alot = BAD. Firmer springs would be better as they probably wouldn't bottom out - it'd just be a harser ride again (but bottoming out is pretty f**ken rough on your car and ride too) Also, that low not good for your shocks unlss you have them shortened, and preferrably buy new shocks to match your springs.

Its up to you, but that's my advice (and most people's on here).

I now have 40mm front and back and still looks good. Plus new springs are H&R Sports with firmer rate. i can't recommend them enough. They have transformed my car.

Edit: removed coment about pre-f/l. Your car is facelift - same as mine.

Edited by bravo

MATE that is a mint car you have there! i have to say i like that alot. once ive got my car looking good il upload a picture. ohkay sounds like i got a fare idea now! but how is it that some times in lowerd cars you bonce your way along insteed of driving how does this hapen and how is it stoped do you knw. thanks

Bounce comes from soft or no springs and shocks shot. Bounce means no rebound control, that's what your shocks do, they dampen the spring bounce. As Bravo says, best ride at the end of the day comes from good quality springs and shocks, matched together. This will allow you to go as low as you can and still have a reasonably handling car. The harder the spring, the less bounce and the lower you can go, but IMO, 40mm is generally about right.

oh i see now so best to get some hard springs and some matching shocks to go with that. because i dont so much enjoy a bouncey ride haha. i have to say this site is alot of help. has any one herd of Zyoxx the alloy brand

Main thing is to get everything properly matched eh.

At the moment I'm being looked after quite well by H&R so I'll recommend them. Also, Vogtland, Eibach etc are good. Jamex and King Springs are one step down (generally speaking) but many find them fine.

Shocks - Koni's, and Bilsteins are pretty good.

There are lots of brands. As with most things you get what you pay for.

k il look them up then. okay so what brands do you stay away from? hha sory for all the questions haha

Your best bet is to find something at a price you can afford and then ask what we think. If you decide to go H&R or vogtland I'll give you the details of the nz distributor. Tell him your from bimmersport and he'll look after you.

Edited by bravo

I take it already have your wheels ? ... probably 18x 7.5 or 8 inch ?

You need a 20 offset.. which most wheels these days are 30-40mm offset. (the more modern the wheel higher the offset)

If you're finding your rubbing slightly on the guards .. You don't actually have to get the gaurds rolled .. you can get the wheels offset increased (wheel pushed inwards) by taking it to a mag wheel repair / engineering shop and getting them to mill some mm off the wheel's hub. the other way is running smaller width tires (stretching them) .. You can usually go 2 sizes smaller without needing a special machine :)

I have picutures of a e30 Mtech 1 running polished lip / black center 18x7.5's with 20mm spacers ... looked good too .. was for sale recently.

I have picutures of a e30 Mtech 1 running polished lip / black center 18x7.5's with 20mm spacers ... looked good too .. was for sale recently.

Still for sale?? 2 door??

Pix to e30chris@gmail.com

If it's the one I was thinking about the guy was happy to sell the wheels separate. I rang him about them and he sounded like a reasonable guy and on to it. Sorry but don't have his details.

hey i was just wondering if any one has some rear springs for my e30 i could buy.

i have front of a 60mm drop and now need some backs would perfer abit more then a 60mm drop.

and i hear e36 springs will fit the back of my e30 to

cheers

Only e36 318ti rear springs will fit.

Edited by bravo